Sway bar.

LSKen

LVC Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to locate a heavy duty or thicker sway bar for my 05 LSV8 sport. Any suggestions on where to look or companies to contact?

With the 'Sport' suspension, you already have a 30 MM front bar. Why do you want more?

KS

147F2EA4-0BFF-49FE-857B-D582917C6385.jpeg

There is a lot of body roll when cornering hard. I just replaced all 4 struts. The car rides and handles great but for the roll

What brand shocks did you use?

From my information the front sway bars for the V6's are slightly larger than the V8. V8 sport is 31mm. V6 sport is 32mm.

A couple unorganized thoughts:

Dealer put monroes in my rear under extended warranty, as Lincoln Sports were not available to them to use. I immediately noticed the difference in feel, especially under acceleration and rough bumps. Also worth noting the monroes didnt take long before they started feeling tired. :(

You can always try the Jaguar S-type Bilstein Route. There are a few on the forum that have gone this direction and like the results. Eibachs can also be fitted to the LS, but these run the risk of wearing out the shocks more quickly, and might not be the best pairing for worn stock shocks, or monroes.

Stance and another company (D2) make coilovers for our cars. For $1200-1300 you can get a set of 4, and they replace the oem upper mounts on each corner. These, on the comfort setting and high ride height setting, will feel great on the LS. Mine right now is running these and they feel fantastic. Very comfortable.

I did some research a while back on any sort of LS, Thunderbird, Stype, etc upgrade for the rear sway bar. I came up with nothing, and the T-bird rear bar is the same thickness as the genII sport. As far as I know, there is no oem, or sister-brand upgrade on the market that we can retro-fit easily.

I had another set of sway-link holes drilled on a spare gen2 bar, to change the spring rate of the existing bar (similar to how aftermarket bars of other makes allow for Soft & Hard positions). I have yet to fit this bar on the car so I cannot recommend or provide input, yet.

33788164552_126738bd80_c.jpg

Two other ideas off the top of my head:
1) Allegedly, later S-Type R's received additional bracing behind the back seat to stiffen the car more. A race shop might be able to make you a torsion/chassis brace to mimic this on the LS. The less the car's body flexes, the quicker the suspension can do its intended job.
2) Consider the powerflex bushings linked above, I also have a DIY thread on them. Made a nice difference for me.
3) Rear sway bar bushings, or custom links (beefy) for the rear could make slight improvements in road feel.
4) Tires make the most difference, if you are looking for more handling, start there. Everything on the car has to go through the tires!

Dealer put monroes in my rear under extended warranty, as Lincoln Sports were not available to them to use. I immediately noticed the difference in feel, especially under acceleration and rough bumps. Also worth noting the monroes didnt take long before they started feeling tired. :(

You can always try the Jaguar S-type Bilstein Route. There are a few on the forum that have gone this direction and like the results. Eibachs can also be fitted to the LS, but these run the risk of wearing out the shocks more quickly, and might not be the best pairing for worn stock shocks, or monroes.

Stance and another company (D2) make coilovers for our cars. For $1200-1300 you can get a set of 4, and they replace the oem upper mounts on each corner. These, on the comfort setting and high ride height setting, will feel great on the LS. Mine right now is running these and they feel fantastic. Very comfortable.

I did some research a while back on any sort of LS, Thunderbird, Stype, etc upgrade for the rear sway bar. I came up with nothing, and the T-bird rear bar is the same thickness as the genII sport. As far as I know, there is no oem, or sister-brand upgrade on the market that we can retro-fit easily.

I had another set of sway-link holes drilled on a spare gen2 bar, to change the spring rate of the existing bar (similar to how aftermarket bars of other makes allow for Soft & Hard positions). I have yet to fit this bar on the car so I cannot recommend or provide input, yet.

View attachment 828569804

1) Allegedly, later S-Type R's received additional bracing behind the back seat to stiffen the car more. A race shop might be able to make you a torsion/chassis brace to mimic this on the LS. The less the car's body flexes, the quicker the suspension can do its intended job.
2) Consider the powerflex bushings linked above, I also have a DIY thread on them. Made a nice difference for me.
3) Rear sway bar bushings, or custom links (beefy) for the rear could make slight improvements in road feel.
4) Tires make the most difference, if you are looking for more handling, start there. Everything on the car has to go through the tires!

View attachment 828569804

I have Michelin sport tires on right now. With only a few thousand miles on them. I just replaced the struts and strut mounts, so I can’t justify spending more money. The suspension is nice and tight and fells good. It’s just the body roll When pushed hard that I don’t like.

I have Michelin sport tires on right now. With only a few thousand miles on them. I just replaced the struts and strut mounts, so I can’t justify spending more money. The suspension is nice and tight and fells good. It’s just the body roll When pushed hard that I don’t like.
Caveat: I am just learning about the intricacies of suspension generally and on our beloved LS....So, what I understand is that the shocks and springs obviously play a huge roll in removing road chatter as well as other bumps and ups and downs in the road. The shocks and springs also play a large roll in how the vehicle takes turns and corners in conjunction with sway bar and the control arms. I am thinking that a potential limitation of the Monroe shocks could be their ability to add stabilization cornering. Adding a beefed up sway bar may only be making up for a limitation in the shocks. In addition, others have argued that the lower control arms, particularly the rear, have a key aspect in body and sway.

Have you upgraded the sway bar bushings and mounts? I did notice a significant improvement by just replacing the front bushings with the Energy Suspension bushings. I will warn you, getting the stock bushings off is a royal PITA!!!!

Again, I am just learning these aspects in anticipation of having to do some suspension work in the not too distant future.

Look into Moog Parts for the LS they are ten times better than the MotorCraft parts...nice and thick when it comes to front and rear end links

As for the Monroes ...you would be better off putting a good used pair of MotorCraft shock absorbers off of eBay than using junk Monroes for a Luxury Sports car....just my 2 Cents ...I put Gabriel's on the front off my late 1 Gen and the 17 year old MotorCraft were better than those junk crap absorbers ... I know I needed new shock absorbers but the brand does make the difference when it comes to the LS due to Ford having vehicles ride like your in a iron wheeled wagon on a cattle drive

Not sure if the Jaguar sway bars are the same/swappable, but if they are maybe the J Craft bars might work. You can check them out on eBay.

Unfortunately... the Monroes didn't really help anything. Especially if your LS is high milage with the original springs. IF you could find a larger set of sway bars,,,, at this point the shocks and springs would still be the weakest link.

If too much body roll is removed... the car will want to slide around turns instead of hugging the road, (especially in adverse weather conditions). Suspension tuning is a delicate balance between handling, ride comfort, and weight balance.... under all driving conditions. When you change one aspect,,, you have to consider how it affects the others.

In my personal experience with the LS, (and other vehicles)... I would say that the springs, (rates), are more important in controlling body roll,,, than the sway bars.

This was my experience also... and actually,,, with a good suspension under the LS, the factory away bars actually do quite well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back