2001 Lincoln LS V8

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Gen 1 2001 Lincoln LS V8 it has right at 121,000 miles on it. Got it very cheap yes I know Gen 1's Have some issues but I still enjoy it. It will not go into reverse but it drives great. It does have a few little issues but was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas. These are the codes I am getting from it.

C1924 and C1925
B1869 and B1994 which I am sure one of these is cause the airbag light is burned out

Would these C1924 and 1925 codes have anything to do with the Transmission not going into reverse? I mean I bought the car with the expectation of likely changing the transmission which is not a problem cause I have a 2002 LS that has all good parts except the motor. Any help in direction to go would be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
C1924 - Power steering boost control solenoid short to ground
C1925 - Power steering solenoid actuator - return circuit failure
The FEM drives the solenoid, but it's probably the wiring or the solenoid, not the FEM. The FEM is behind the driver's side kick panel, at the floor.

B1869 - Lamp Air Bag Warning Indicator circuit failure
B1994 - Side Airbag Open Circuit (Drivers) [probably the wires broke at the seat side airbag connector under the driver's seat - common gen I problem]

C1924 - Power steering boost control solenoid short to ground
C1925 - Power steering solenoid actuator - return circuit failure
The FEM drives the solenoid, but it's probably the wiring or the solenoid, not the FEM. The FEM is behind the driver's side kick panel, at the floor.

B1869 - Lamp Air Bag Warning Indicator circuit failure
B1994 - Side Airbag Open Circuit (Drivers) [probably the wires broke at the seat side airbag connector under the driver's seat - common gen I problem]

Ok I will try to check that out tomorrow! Do you have any links to the service guide ? Is the Solenoid you are referring to on the Power Steering pump Cause I tried to Calibrate the Yaw Sensor,Steering Sensor,Brake Booster and then tried to auto bleed the brakes which all Failed on the ForScan tool. And the steering wheel is a bit tighter than it should be. I did check the power steering fluid all is fine with that, and I don't see any leaks either.

None of the C codes could cause the transmission not to go in reverse right?

Also is the FEM considered the GEM?

Last edited:
No, nothing to do with the transmission.
I don't know of any "free" on-line service manual for 1st gen.
The boost control solenoid is on the power steering rack. There is a pressure sensing switch that is either on the high pressure hose, or on the power steering pump (you get one or the other). It's not related to your codes.
The FEM is sometimes inaccurately referred to as the GEM.

No, nothing to do with the transmission.
I don't know of any "free" on-line service manual for 1st gen.
The boost control solenoid is on the power steering rack. There is a pressure sensing switch that is either on the high pressure hose, or on the power steering pump (you get one or the other). It's not related to your codes.
The FEM is sometimes inaccurately referred to as the GEM.

Do you know where I can buy (cheap) the service workshop manual for that car in PDF format

Cheap? No.
You might try ebay.
You can get a month of on-line access for $20 or so.

I will try to get one and share the PDF once I do. Thanks

I do have a gen I pdf (though it is a scan, and not a good one). I just don't have a way to put it on-line, and it is too big to email.

I bought one and it's for a 2000 Lincoln LS is this gonna be the same or is it gonna be different cause they said it was a 2001 version but clearly it is not.

Almost all of it is the same for 2000 to 2002. Some of the changes aren't in the manuals anyway.

I think I have a bad FEM just like in this post Stiff Steering; VAPS Codes My situation is almost the exact same. But I have a question since you said The FEM is sometimes inaccurately referred to as the GEM. I looked up the AS Built Data and I don't see any As built info for the FEM
LS01 Modules AS Built.png

So what info do I program for the FEM if that is not the same as the GEM? If they are not the same where is the GEM located cause I can't connect to that module it fails to read.

Quick Update:
I replaced the FEM, then I was able to access the GEM and program it's As Built Data. So the FEM is seen as the GEM I am pretty sure cause once I changed that data and reset the codes that fault went away and I was able to test the GEM and it worked after that. So now the C codes are all gone and the Steering Wheel is smooth again :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back