My kingdom for sport rear shocks

oddball

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
One of those woulda-coulda-shoulda things I guess. I did a full front end rebuild when I bought the car in '10 and parts were still around. I figured the rear was just fine though.
All the bushings in the rear have finally fallen apart, so I've been scrounging those. Amazingly the upper arms are still available new Jag at somewhat reasonable prices. Ford will even sell lower control arms for a tbird. Looks like SPC makes the correct lower swivel bushings, but the correct lower front bushing is non-existent. And the Powerflex guys are only selling the Race poly bushings now.

But, now my big problem - rear sport shocks apparently don't exist. Anywhere. Anyone had any luck in the past year or two? I've tried every supplier, every application, and every part number I could find. Nadda.

At least front shocks are still available.

A few months ago I went down the same road in search of rear shocks. ASH24468 was the "new" part number for the rear shocks but they are long gone. RockAuto seems to have some Monroe shocks for the rears which is what I was going to go with when I get to replacing the rears (did the fronts already).

MONROE 71345 is the p/n.

Quick question for you as you have the same car I have (but 1yr newer): do you have any info on how to find the clips for the exterior side trim moulding? On the passenger door, the moulding is coming off near the back part. I see a mounting hole but no idea what kind of clip would be needed, don't even know what they look like.

Rumor has it the aftermarket stuff - Monroe, KYB, etc - are all far too soft.

No idea on the clips. There's quite a few LS's showing up in pick-n-pull yards these days, so you can go hunting easily enough.

The rears have not been available for a few years. I have been looking myself for a comparable replacement. I don't want to loose the original handling that the sport LS has. If anyone has found a comparable rear sport replacement I would like to hear about it too.

Buy Jaguar S-Type, 00-02 rear struts from Bilstein. They come in an OEM and Performance strut. I think Tirerack has the Performance in stock.

OEM - 24-026628
Performance - 24-067782

Last edited:
Buy rear Jaguar S-Type, 00-02 rear struts from Bilstein. They come in an OEM and Performance strut. I think Tirerack has the Performance in stock.

OEM - 24-026628
Performance - 24-067782

Very interesting.... Anyone take a stab at comparing the Bilstein B6's to Motorcraft Sport?

Wow, that is some great info brickr, thanks so much! I wonder if these would fit the 3.9L Sport?
Yeah I don't think the strut is physically any different between the models. The front Jaguars won't work though.

Very interesting.... Anyone take a stab at comparing the Bilstein B6's to Motorcraft Sport?
I currently found Euro Fronts and I would say the Euros are only slightly stiffer. Won't be able to really compare until the car is off the jack stands.

I currently found Euro Fronts and I would say the Euros are only slightly stiffer. Won't be able to really compare until the car is off the jack stands.
Thanks again for your info brickr. I replaced the front shocks with Motorcraft ASH24464 which should be the direct OEM replacement for the sport shocks.

Buy Jaguar S-Type, 00-02 rear struts from Bilstein. They come in an OEM and Performance strut. I think Tirerack has the Performance in stock.

OEM - 24-026628
Performance - 24-067782

I asked about this last summer:
04_Sport_LS's Suspension thread
[...] 3----Even-though-the-rear-LS-springs-will-work-with-the-Jag-Bilsteins,,,-the-LS-suspension-will-be-"unbalanced"-since-the-front-Jag-Bilsteins-won't-work-with-the-front-LS-springs,-(as-mentioned-in-point-#1)

Having-done-the-rear-suspension-rebuild-on-my-LS-a-few-months-ago...using-all-jag-parts,,,-I-can-say-for-a-fact-that-it-made-the-LS-"front-heavy"-through-turns...and-very-harsh-over-bumps. Having-just-done-the-front-suspension-rebuild...preliminary-results-show-a-better-balance-and-handling...and-as-with-the-front,,,a-slightly-stiffer-suspension. [...]

To give some context, @04_Sport_LS rebuilt his entire suspension using Jag parts. He did the rears FIRST and he said the car didn't feel so great until he changed the fronts too - however, he had the old fronts installed. I think it's worthwhile looking through that thread.
Based on this, since I too have purchased the sport fronts already, I personally chose to look for alternatives to Jag Bilsteins.

Generally speaking though, in 99% of cases, people will compare old worn our part A with new part B, and, IMO, you can't really draw a definitive performance-oriented conclusion from that. For example, I may install Monroe crap-o-matics in the front to replace my busted Motorcraft Sports and while the new ones may feel better, it doesn't make them actually better.

Based on this, since I too have purchased the sport fronts already, I personally chose to look for alternatives to Jag Bilsteins.
So you wouldn't mix and match new front shocks (sport or euro) with new rear Jag Bilstein?

So you wouldn't mix and match new front shocks (sport or euro) with new rear Jag Bilstein?
Honestly, I don't really know...
Just from what I am reading here, I would not personally do it, but I can't offer that as advice. I just posted that thread link so people can make up their own minds.

That being said, (in my personal opinion) IF nothing else is available, this would be the best option (would probably pick this set-up over a sport+non-sport configuration, myself). I will probably end up doing this since I can't find rear sports anywhere.

WELP, in about a month I'll know how 8 year old front Sport shocks work with new Bilstein Jag B6 rears!
Looks like Bilstein only builds the rears to order.
Currently looking to swap to Jag springs so I can use Bilstein front shocks as well. *sigh*

This almost - ALMOST - makes the Stance coilovers viable. Only about $600 more.....

WELP, in about a month I'll know how 8 year old front Sport shocks work with new Bilstein Jag B6 rears!
Looks like Bilstein only builds the rears to order.
Currently looking to swap to Jag springs so I can use Bilstein front shocks as well. *sigh*

This almost - ALMOST - makes the Stance coilovers viable. Only about $600 more.....
I find this ludicrous that MotorCraft discontinued the rear Sport Shocks ....this car sold for 39K upwards towards 50k and the company just disregards all the Lincoln LSes on the road still...I don't even have a Sport but its still frustrating ....thanks for allowing me to vent...

Okay, so just to be clear on things...after reading through various threads, googling, etc. For a Gen 1 Sport LS (2001), will the Bilstein B4 be a direct drop-in replacement or do I need to change springs as well? And what if I want to go with the B6 shock like oddball is? Thanks everyone for the info and help!

No one knows, dude. Just gotta experiment.
Near as I can tell, the rear shocks are a direct swap. The front shocks have different spring perches.
My *assumption* is the B4 shock is like the Jag base shock is like the LS base shock.
Likewise, the B6 is like the Jag Special, which is like the LS Sport.

I should have stated I was referring to the rear shocks, so even with the B6 I should be okay with a direct drop-in...I hope. Thanks oddball.

Okay, so just to be clear on things...after reading through various threads, googling, etc. For a Gen 1 Sport LS (2001), will the Bilstein B4 be a direct drop-in replacement or do I need to change springs as well? And what if I want to go with the B6 shock like oddball is? Thanks everyone for the info and help!

No need to change springs for the rear. Either B4 or B6 series Bilsteins will work. It all depends if you want a sporty strut or not. The Bilsteins work with lowering springs as well.

NEVER mix and match different brands or types, (standard, sport , euro, etc.) of shocks. The car won't be balanced in the handling department. I used Jag Bilstein B4's on all 4 corners. If a person wants a slightly stiffer ride than the B4's... they could go to the B6's. Depends on what kind of roads you drive.

NEVER mix and match different brands or types, (standard, sport , euro, etc.) of shocks. The car won't be balanced in the handling department. I used Jag Bilstein B4's on all 4 corners. If a person wants a slightly stiffer ride than the B4's... they could go to the B6's. Depends on what kind of roads you drive.

Sadly, it's a bit late for that as I've already replaced the fronts with Motorcraft Sport shocks ('01 3.9L V8), so I will get the B6 shocks if I were to change the rear ones next.

FCP Euro:

Jaguar Shock Absorber (S-Type) - Bilstein 24-067454 | FCP Euro

Summit Racing:

Search Results for 24-067454

And now the race begins with who can buy them first. :D

Double check the part number against what I listed in my thread... as all I did was do a google search for 2002 Jag s-type Bilstein rear shocks. Never dealt with FCP Euro,,, so I don't know anything about them. Have done business with Summit,,, and have had no problems so far. May want to call first to check stock. May be other places that have them too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back