My kingdom for sport rear shocks

I find this ludicrous that MotorCraft discontinued the rear Sport Shocks ....this car sold for 39K upwards towards 50k and the company just disregards all the Lincoln LSes on the road still...I don't even have a Sport but its still frustrating ....thanks for allowing me to vent...

Only about 250,000 LS's were made. Once the factory replacement parts start drying up, (already)... the only choice is aftermarket, (which is lagging). Fortunately,,, for suspension parts... the 2002 and earlier Jag S-Type stuff is "drop in" (except the lower spring seats).

Just keep in mind that new shocks won't compensate for worn springs. ;)
True! So, unless you plan on updating all 4 shocks and springs, it's a "best I can do" solution. In my humble opinion, if you recently charged your front shocks, I wouldn't waste effort in changing the fronts again. I think not mixing different tire/shocks/springs is absolutely true for the same axle, but less so for back/front. But this doesn't really say anything... :) If you want the best performance, plan ahead and do what 04_Sport_LS did and change everything.
Only about 250,000 LS's were made. Once the factory replacement parts start drying up, (already)... the only choice is aftermarket, (which is lagging). Fortunately,,, for suspension parts... the 2002 and earlier Jag S-Type stuff is "drop in" (except the lower spring seats).
Yep, no point in wasting effort being getting mad about this. Most people dump these cars because they're too expensive to fix. Manufacturers won't make parts if the demand is too low. I agree that it's frustrating though

Can someone please explain the difference between the B4's and the B6's please? B4 is sport and B6 is euro? Or is it just a higher cost brand thing?

Just keep in mind that new shocks won't compensate for worn springs. ;)
Sounds good, thanks so much 04_Sport! I think I will end up ordering the B6 shocks from Summit Racing and wait as oddball is doing right now.

On a side note, I actually found some rear Sport shocks on some European websites but they are all related to each other as they have the same layout but different website names and, strangely, different pricing for the same part. And they all accept bank wire or Western Union only...hard pass.

Can someone please explain the difference between the B4's and the B6's please? B4 is sport and B6 is euro? Or is it just a higher cost brand thing?
B4 is the standard shock meant for a 3.0L, and the B6 would be the stiffer one, similar to a Sport shock for a 3.9L, from what I understand.

Sounds good, thanks so much 04_Sport! I think I will end up ordering the B6 shocks from Summit Racing and wait as oddball is doing right now.

On a side note, I actually found some rear Sport shocks on some European websites but they are all related to each other as they have the same layout but different website names and, strangely, different pricing for the same part. And they all only accept bank transfer or Western Union only...hard pass.

RUN!!! :p

B4 is the standard shock meant for a 3.0L, and the B6 would be the stiffer one, similar to a Sport shock for a 3.9L, from what I understand.

Not exactly. The B4's are also available for the V8 S-type. Yes... the B6's are stiffer,,, but so are the base Jag S-Type springs compared to even the LS sport springs. I installed the B4's... because some of my driving is on city streets full of potholes. I considered the fact that the B6's might make the ride even rougher.

The idea of tuning a suspension is to carry the weight of the vehicle properly, (and balanced front to rear), without having the car bounce all over the place with every little bump you hit.

On a side note, I actually found some rear Sport shocks on some European websites but they are all related to each other as they have the same layout but different website names and, strangely, different pricing for the same part. And they all accept bank wire or Western Union only...hard pass.

PLease NOTICE that my Summit link was for the B4 rears!!!!

IIRC... the B6's are about $130 a corner.

This page will show both the B4 and B6 fronts and rears.

2002 JAGUAR S-TYPE BASE Bilstein Shocks and Struts

Within the listings... you will see a couple of shocks with a "fork" or stirrup" instead of a standard "bolt through" mount. These are for the 2003 and newer S-Types... which is why when ordering Jag suspension parts for the LS,,, you need to use 2002 or earlier for the correct parts. In 2003... Jag completely redesigned the front suspension on the S-type

Also... the high dollar green shocks are for the electronic S-Type suspension,,, and will NOT work on the LS.

Within the listings... you will see a couple of shocks with a "fork" or stirrup" instead of a standard "bolt through" mount. These are for the 2003 and newer S-Types... which is why when ordering Jag suspension parts for the LS,,, you need to use 2002 or earlier for the correct parts. In 2003... Jag completely redesigned the front suspension on the S-type

Also... the high dollar green shocks are for the electronic S-Type suspension,,, and will NOT work on the LS.
Always so diligently detailed and helpful! Thanks for this! I spent a good half hour figuring this stuff out for myself a couple of weeks ago and you just layed out the complete info!

davesdiscountautoparts.com had the LS rear sports listed as available, but call for availability a few weeks ago. Called in and false alarm.

Nice! Thanks for the info 04' Sport this is extremely helpful....your much appreciated on this forum for sure...thank you

I spent a couple months researching this whole thing. Both on this forum,,, and on a Jag forum. Couldn't get much help on the Jag forum,,, because they weren't familiar with the LS suspension. So I ended up doing a bunch of digging around on the internet.

Most of the info is in my suspension thread... and Member BCA has a thread on this subject also.

The only thing I can add to this thread, (that would be helpful), is if anyone plans on installing Jag shocks on the front, (Bilstein or otherwise), the lower spring seat on the Jag shocks is larger, (same size as the rear spring seats), than the LS lower spring seat. The LS front springs have a smaller diameter at the bottom,,, so you will need to replace the front springs with Jag springs to use the Jag front shocks.

This means you will also have to go to the boneyard to cannibalize some rear shock assemblies off an LS... and tear them apart,,, just to get the lower spring seats to use on the front Jag shocks. AND... the lower spring seats can be a pain to get off without breaking them. To explain.... the LS rear lower spring seats are the same size as all 4 Jag lower spring seats. The LS front lower spring seats are also pretty much unobtanium.

I contacted Energy Suspension about making urethane spring seats,,, and never heard back from them after an initial discussion. I started a thread on here about urethane spring seats... and suggested that anyone interested call Energy to express their interest. That didn't seem to go very far either.

Thing is... even the new LS springs are becoming unavailable,,, and springs with 200k miles aren't going to ride their best... even with new shocks. The best long term solution is the Jag parts conversion.

I installed front and rear springs spec'd for a Jag S-type 4.0L. I went with the B4's all the way around and I chose them for the same reasons that 04_Sport_LS did. Most of my roads that I travel are crappy and full of poorly patched potholes.
In my opinion with the B4's & Jag springs, the car does ride a little softer than it did with the original shocks. What is strange though is that I didn't lose much at all in the "real world" handling department.
What I mean by that is that when I go into a corner, it feels just as good as it did before and I would even say that the initial body roll is even better controlled. However being that the ride is bit softer, I would bet that if I were to make drastic sudden direction changes with the car, such as what you would do on an autocross course, the previous factory setup would be superior. The thing is I don't drive the car like that 99% of the time. Not to say I don't drive in a spirited way, I love to take the car into corners and highway entrance ramps just like most everyone else here does, but it's my daily driver and I do want some comfort too.
I would say that if you are looking for the most performance possible, go with the B6's, but IMHO, I think the B4's are a nice alternative to the original setup.

In my opinion with the B4's & Jag springs, the car does ride a little softer than it did with the original shocks. What is strange though is that I didn't lose much at all in the "real world" handling department.
What I mean by that is that when I go into a corner, it feels just as good as it did before and I would even say that the initial body roll is even better controlled. However being that the ride is bit softer, ......

Thanks BCA... you reminded me of something. The difference between the LS springs... and the Jag springs,,,, is that the Jag springs are "progressive rate" springs. That means that the ride is softer until the springs become compressed. So the more the springs compress,,, the stiffer they get.

I have pics of this in my suspension thread... where the LS springs have equal spacing between each individual coil. Whereas the individual coil spacing on the Jag springs get closer together towards the bottom of the spring.

The progressive rate springs of the Jag, (to me), are a better design.... giving you a slightly softer ride during day to day driving,,, but when you wanna drive hard it reacts like a stiffer spring... helping to control body roll.

Both BCA's and my biggest gripe about the factory LS suspension... was body lean on initial "turn in",,, when driving "spiritedly" through curves or around corners. Am I right about that BCA?

Just another reason the best long term solution is the Jag parts conversion.

Thanks BCA... you reminded me of something. The difference between the LS springs... and the Jag springs,,,, is that the Jag springs are "progressive rate" springs. That means that the ride is softer until the springs become compressed. So the more the springs compress,,, the stiffer they get.

That's a good point which I'm sure it is a major contributor to the more compliant ride now. I have a set of Eibach's & Koni's on my '85 XR-7 and the results were very similar over the original setup. Better ride, but no loss in handling.

Both BCA's and my biggest gripe about the factory LS suspension... was body lean on initial "turn in",,, when driving "spiritedly" through curves or around corners. Am I right about that BCA?

I completely agree. Body lean on initial turn in is noticeably better now. The amount of "lay-over" is still feels the same to me, but the time it takes to get there is more progressive.

At one point.... I WAS trying to figure out if there were stiffer, (larger), sway bars from a Jag that would bolt in to the LS. Unfortunately I have had too much going on lately to pursue that idea. I'd still like to see a bit less body roll in the LS... though it holds the road very well as it is.

The last on ramp I took "spiritedly",,, I exited at 55 with tires squealing... and my left foot wedged against the kick panel,,, just to keep me off the door. I was waiting for the back end to start coming around but it didn't.

I'm really starting to like the "non-passive" rear toe links over the OEM passive ones.

great info everyone thanks much! so many good threads. I am replacing all 4 coil-over-struts and assemblies. I am hoping to go with the Blisten B4 / Jag S-Type conversion instead of going the strutmaster.com route.

strutmaster offers a package of all 4 coil-over-shocks and assemblies for $599. it is very attractive. Get them shipped assembled, swap the parts, one or 2 nights and done. maybe not the best handling but good enough and super easy.

But, I am estimating I can get the B4's, Jag springs, and new strut mounts for about the same co$t. i'll let you know if I get close. (i know there are some changes I need to do using B4s on the LS front)

04_Sport_LS's link to Summit.com shows 2 different B4's for the front. A monotube and a twintube. what is the difference and which one do I want?

thanks!

I doubt you will be happy with the strutmater stuff. A new B4 shock and new Jag spring will run about $230 per corner, and thats just the parts ... plus the labor of disassembling the old strut for the upper plate and lower spring seat. The lower spring seat is prone to breaking during removal and are unobtanium through the aftermarket.

Labor on the rears is about 1.5 hours from removal to install... and that's using a manual double screw rod spring compressor. Placement can be a bit tricky to get the compressor so it has enough stroke, but doesn't bind up on the spring under compression. An for God sakes.... use the u bolt retainers that come with the spring compressor, (if you value your face/hands/life).

Make sure you grease the threads on the rods, and that you draw them down evenly... and draw them down by hand!!! Do NOT use an impact wrench!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an altertnative... a local shop or parts store that does "in house" strut replacement, may do it for you for a nominal fee if you don't want to deal with the headaches.

Not sure what the monotube B4's fit. Might be some sort of error/misprint on Summits end.

Went to the Bilstein e-catalog and typed in 2002, Jaguar, S-type, base, 4.0L.... and it only shows 2 b4's and 2 B6's. The valid B4 part #s are:

24-024921 - Front
24-026628 - Rear

Valid B6 part #s

24-067799 - Front
24-067782 - Rear

Source - Bilstein Online Catalog

Search Results For: '2002 Jaguar S-Type Base 4.0 L GAS Naturally Aspirated'
Filter
Filter
FILTER

• Part Type
    • Shocks / Struts (6)
  • Category
    • OE Replacement (4)

• Performance - Stock Height (2)
  • Position
    • Front (3)

• Rear (3)
  • Series
    • B4 OE Replacement (2)

• B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) (2)

• B6 Performance (2)

24-024921_thu.jpg
B4 OE Replacement - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-024921

Series: B4 OE Replacement

Position: Front

Notes:

-Without Electronic Suspension to 04/2002

20-070632_thu.jpg
B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 20-070632

Series: B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic)

Notes:

-With Electronic Suspension to 04/2002

24-067799_thu.jpg
B6 Performance - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-067799

Series: B6 Performance

Notes:

24-026628_thu.jpg
B4 OE Replacement - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-026628

Series: B4 OE Replacement

Position: Rear

Notes:

20-070649_thu.jpg
B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 20-070649

Series: B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic)

Notes:

-With Electronic Suspension to 04/2002

24-067782_thu.jpg
B6 Performance - Shock Absorber
Part Number: 24-067782

Series: B6 Performance

Notes:

Thank you, your search will affect future product development at BILSTEIN. Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle. SUBMIT

thanks 04!
your other thread has tons of helpful info too.
I have a Gen1, 2000 v6-3.0l manual. Looking in the Blisten Catalog like you did, except I chose the S-Type v6 engine, still showed the same choices.
24-024921 - Front
24-026628 - Rear

but, from what i've been reading on here i'll have to choose different springs than you did for the fronts since I a have the v6.
You mentioned XR835298 for the v8, and looking at the Jag S-Type v6 it shows XR835296
rear springs for the v6 or v8 are both XR811174 like you have said.

another negative about strutmasters they don't have specific offering for v6 vs v8 . I asked them and they claim they are the same and front and back.
But looking at a Lincoln part diagram for the 2000 model year shows the front springs have a slightly different part # for v6 vs v8
v6 front
XW4Z5310AA
v8 front
XW4Z5310DA

v6/v8 rear
XW4Z5560AA

man the more i read this forum the more I find the questions/info I'm posting are out there already, spread through 4 or 5 threads. It is hard keep it all in mind and apply it to your own scenario with out missing something and reposting something.

now my parts list for my v6 is shaping up:
2x 24-024921 - Front Strut
2x 24-026628 - Rear Strut
2x XR835296 Front Spring/Coil
2x XR811174 - Rear Spring/Coil

now I have to follow what you did for the spring seat, spring insulator and upper mount and add those to the list

Last edited:
i was curious just how close in weight the S-TYPE was compared to the LS
I used edmunds.com but cross referenced some of the results, they seem accurate.

LS ---v8 -------- v6
2000 3692 lbs. 3598 lbs.
2001 3692 lbs. 3598 lbs.
2002 3734 lbs. 3640 lbs.

S-TYPE ---v8 ----- v6
2000 3770 lbs. 3650 lbs.
2001 3903 lbs. 3816 lbs.
2002 3903 lbs. 3816 lbs.

so the S-TPYE is heavier, not too much in 2000, but over 200lbs in 2001. In 2002 the LS weighed a little more so it was less of a difference ~170lbs.

Still 200lbs isn't too much I'd imagine, I wonder if the coil-over-strut and spring combo is much stiffer for 200lbs?

(the LS v6 manual was usually a few pounds lighter than the v6 auto listed here)

I wonder if the coil-over-strut and spring combo is much stiffer for 200lbs

any opinions? just curious really I am going with the bilstein/jag combo coil-over-strut for all 4 corners

The ride is overall firmer than that of the factory LS suspension. As far as 200lbs.... you're talking the average weight of one extra male passenger. 50 lbs per corner of the vehicle doesn't add up to much.

So for those whom have switched over to the 2000-2002 S-Type, B6 shocks, it is necessary to change springs too, for the front? If so, what is the change in ride height compared to the LS from factory?

Its too bad we cannot simply purchase just the B6 shocks for all four corners and be done with it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back