My 2001 LS light restoration

Quick wash

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

Just a little update on the LS

I went with new headlights since my old ones kept fading and I got tired of dealing with it, a member Midwest_LS hooked me up with oem amber side markers too (thank you), so far love the look.

I did have to change the transmission again (number 4 now) since it failed again.

304000 miles now.

35E984FE-8E5F-4D04-A35D-493679A649A4.jpeg

682D72B0-4496-4809-AE24-16333CAA4F95.jpeg

love that your mileage is this high, truly an inspiration.

Glad to see an update on it again.

Looks fantastic!!!

A few Qs:

1) Front wheel spacer: 20mm, right? with the spacer, how much of the existing lug sticks past the spacer? I presume your Zeus wheels have the space in between the lug holes for the existing lugs to fit into. What I am wondering is what is the smallest spacer w/lugs I could use that would work? IOW's, 20mm spacers seem to work, would 15mm spacers work? I can double check how deep the cut outs are on my wheels. A picture is below...

2) What transmission problems were you having? I'm at 240k (not nearly where you are...) and having slight rough shifts. The trans has been maintained throughout the life of the car. I have all the service documents from 89 miles to the present, it was my parent's car. I will be changing out the solenoid in the coming week or so.

45883880_2042051269149789_3580732668674834432_n.jpg

1) I actually use a 20mm hubcetric spacer/adapter which has it’s own studs coming out of it so no issues with it at all. Got a new pair recently for about $100 from ebay, aluminum in black. They are great.

2) transmission was pretty much loosing first gear and the reverse, would not really move the car unless u manually shift in SST, but shifting badly. Turning it off and on would make u move forward in D5/D4 sometimes but only maybe through first gear or so but would rev out randomly. I think it’s just toast at that point. My previous transmissions did the same that is why i replaced em with another used unit since i spoke to few transmission shops and no one wants ti rebuilt a V6 transmission since they said it doesn’t come out good. No new onces are available so the only way to go is another used one or get rid of the car.

It takes me about 5 hours to do a tranny swap, plus transmission is $400 delivered to my house. Plus $50 for fluid. I can do that every few years.

I have had solinoid and valve body issues before and they act differently, hard shift and hard delayed reverse shift. That can be repaired.

Looks fantastic!!!

A few Qs:

1) Front wheel spacer: 20mm, right? with the spacer, how much of the existing lug sticks past the spacer? I presume your Zeus wheels have the space in between the lug holes for the existing lugs to fit into. What I am wondering is what is the smallest spacer w/lugs I could use that would work? IOW's, 20mm spacers seem to work, would 15mm spacers work? I can double check how deep the cut outs are on my wheels. A picture is below...

2) What transmission problems were you having? I'm at 240k (not nearly where you are...) and having slight rough shifts. The trans has been maintained throughout the life of the car. I have all the service documents from 89 miles to the present, it was my parent's car. I will be changing out the solenoid in the coming week or so.

View attachment 828571838

1) I actually use a 20mm hubcetric spacer/adapter which has it’s own studs coming out of it so no issues with it at all. Got a new pair recently for about $100 from ebay, aluminum in black. They are great.

2) transmission was pretty much loosing first gear and the reverse, would not really move the car unless u manually shift in SST, but shifting badly. Turning it off and on would make u move forward in D5/D4 sometimes but only maybe through first gear or so but would rev out randomly. I think it’s just toast at that point. My previous transmissions did the same that is why i replaced em with another used unit since i spoke to few transmission shops and no one wants ti rebuilt a V6 transmission since they said it doesn’t come out good. No new onces are available so the only way to go is another used one or get rid of the car.

It takes me about 5 hours to do a tranny swap, plus transmission is $400 delivered to my house. Plus $50 for fluid. I can do that every few years.

I have had solinoid and valve body issues before and they act differently, hard shift and hard delayed reverse shift. That can be repaired.

Thanks, and I just noticed that you are in Long Beach. I am in Camarillo, so we should connect. There is another guy that lives up here in Ventura. Are you getting reman'd trannies for $400?

In terms of the wheel, I probably wasn't clear but I think you answered my question.

I realize the spacers come with studs. The spacer is bolted onto the hub using the existing lug studs. My question is how far do the existing studs stick out past the spacer. I want to make sure any spacer I use is thick enough so that the existing wheel studs will fit in the circled holes.

wheel stud holes.jpg

Thanks, and I just noticed that you are in Long Beach. I am in Camarillo, so we should connect. There is another guy that lives up here in Ventura. Are you getting reman'd trannies for $400?

In terms of the wheel, I probably wasn't clear but I think you answered my question.

I realize the spacers come with studs. The spacer is bolted onto the hub using the existing lug studs. My question is how far do the existing studs stick out past the spacer. I want to make sure any spacer I use is thick enough so that the existing wheel studs will fit in the circled holes.

View attachment 828571849

Sorry missed your reply,

Yes adapters have their own studs, the original studs come out very little (1/2 inch?) no problems with the jag wheels fitting or oem wheels, the studs go into those pockets nicely.

Trannys are used, you take a chance with em, but this car has 305000 miles so it’s ok to take chances, I don’t want to spend $2-3k.

Yes adapters have their own studs, the original studs come out very little (1/2 inch?) no problems with the jag wheels fitting or oem wheels, the studs go into those pockets nicely.

Thanks, my main concern was the existing studs fitting in the pockets. I don't need much clearance at all for my Jag STR big brake install. I have 3mm spacers on there now that provide 1mm or so of clearance for the brakes but they don't leave much hub left for the wheel to "centric" on. Any thicker I lose the hub and also thread space for the lugs. They do make thicker spacers that have an extended hub but I would have to install longer studs. I was thinking of going with 15mm but 20mm seems better for the stud pockets and the difference between 15-20mm is negligible.

If any of you guys come by to a 01-02 Aqua Blue LS in excellent condition please let me know, looking to get one possibly. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back