Wondering if Plastic coolant parts have any tell-tale signs that they're going to need replacing?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I saw some wore out plastic coolant parts in a pictur that Rigs posted on a thread. The plastic was brownish in color instead of black and I'm wondering if this is the sign of coolant parts on there way out? I'm curious because the plastic by my engine fill cap is now brown and it used to be black I don't have any leakage as of yet but knowing that my 2001 Lincoln LS V8 has 170,000 miles and maybe more It's only a matter of time before I will be replacing the plastic parts...by the way I want to use the Jaguar parts that I hear are aluminum if anyone can point me to a thread that has the part #'s for these compatible pieces I would greatly appreciate and forever be grateful...Thanks

Yes, brown is bad, but be aware that many (most?) fail before they ever turn brown on the outside.
White or orange residue is another sign that they are already leaking.
There is a recent thread on the main forum with many of the gen I cooling part numbers for the V8s.

IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG
Yes, brown is bad, but be aware that many (most?) fail before they ever turn brown on the outside.
There is a recent thread on the main forum with many of the gen I cooling part numbers for the V8s.

So is it possible to say Joe how long before these plastic parts start to fail after turning this brown color? Do you know a ball park figure how much it cost to replace the entire cooling system either plastic or Jag aluminum parts?

That browning haze on the exterior of your cooling system parts is a very good indicator it's all pitted and rotten on the inside. Just looking at it I can tell it's a matter of any day/week now. They are old, brittle and it's deteriorating. That will not last into the winter. Roughly +/- 800$ in parts, which would include a new degas bottle. I'd recommend doing the DCCV and Auxiliary Coolant Flow Pump at the same time while you have the system open, depleted of coolant and lines off.

~ The plastic cooling system deteriorating process does not make appointments.

That browning haze on the exterior of your cooling system parts is a very good indicator it's all pitted and rotten on the inside. Just looking at it I can tell it's a matter of any day/week now. They are old, brittle and it's deteriorating. That will not last into the winter. Roughly +/- 800$ in parts, which would include a new degas bottle. I'd recommend doing the DCCV and Auxiliary Coolant Flow Pump at the same time while you have the system open, depleted of coolant and lines off.

~ The plastic cooling system deteriorating process does not make appointments.
Thanks for the response Rigs much appreciated!!! This isn't good! This explains why my engine has been running hotter the last couple months. Looks like I'll be replacing a coolant system the next couple months... Hope you decide to stick around Rigs the forum won't be the same if you leave, don't let one person with thin skin make that decision for you buddy... Take care

So is it possible to say Joe how long before these plastic parts start to fail after turning this brown color? Do you know a ball park figure how much it cost to replace the entire cooling system either plastic or Jag aluminum parts?

They started failing before they got this bad. A big or complete failure could be any minute now. Gen II is in the $500 range. I think gen I is a little less.

They started failing before they got this bad. A big or complete failure could be any minute now. Gen II is in the $500 range. I think gen I is a little less.
Thanks for the response Joe! Much appreciated $500 is better than $1000 .....Next question, will I be able to buy aftermarket parts for a cheaper price or does MotorCraft and Jaugar have the market cornered on this plastic coolant system?

Well, the aftermarket parts for gen II that I know of are pretty crappy, to the point that it's not worth the trouble. For gen I, there is at least the Uro metal thermostat housing. Stay away from the Dorman degas bottle. There is a Uro bottle for Jaguar that may or may not be okay. Apparently, it is not a drop in for the LS, but it might not be too hard to modify. Of course, modifying it would eliminate any warranty on it.

Well, the aftermarket parts for gen II that I know of are pretty crappy, to the point that it's not worth the trouble. For gen I, there is at least the Uro metal thermostat housing. Stay away from the Dorman degas bottle. There is a Uro bottle for Jaguar that may or may not be okay. Apparently, it is not a drop in for the LS, but it might not be too hard to modify. Of course, modifying it would eliminate any warranty on it.
Absolutely it would effect the warranty and as far as modifying Ive done enough modifications on this car already lol ....if it's not worth it to go aftermarket I guess aluminum parts Would be the way to go...bloody shame that we haven't figured out how to make engine coolant that is plastic friendly in this day and age.

more like "plastic cooling system parts" that would be engine coolant friendly.
It's aging plastics in a constant state of excessive heat cycling within a corrosive liquid.

~ is what it is, 10+yr old vehicles.

more like "plastic cooling system parts" that would be engine coolant friendly.
It's aging plastics in a constant state of excessive heat cycling within a corrosive liquid.

~ is what it is, 10+yr old vehicles.
One part down .....many to go...let THE GAMES BEGIN

Members online

No members online now.
Back