New windshield replacement question????

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was reading a thread about windshields and remember a guy telling another guy who was having problems with his cylinders missing that it could possibly be rain water pouring into the COPs due to the windshield not being sealed right, I'm getting a new windshield this Tuesday and want to know how this happens I'm having it put in professionally by a respectable company who put in a new shuttle window a while back but I will be at work and the wife will have to deal with him due to him coming to our house so I guess I'm wondering is it the plastic pieces that are able to come out with the rubber seal that I need to be concerned about or the actual new window I'm getting?

It's the cowl seals, not the windshield seals/gasket that are the problem. Specifically, the seal around the passenger side wiper shaft is usually the problem. It is not changed when changing a windshield. There is a $5 repair kit available from Ford for this seal.

It's the cowl seals, not the windshield seals/gasket that are the problem.

Yes, the wiper arm cowl gasket will begin to allow rain water or washer fluid to leak down onto the engine appearance cover and thus running down onto the Coil covers potentially causing shorting of coils.

HOWEVER ...

the glass to cowl rubber seal, if not snapped into position correctly or properly, it will allow leakage down past the back side of the cowl down into the engine bay. It needs to be snapped tight to the bottom of the glass and zipped outwards, making a complete seal. Rain water or sprayed washer fluid can and will, run past the glass seal.

008-jpg-828477017-jpg.jpg

See the rubber to glass seal? where my fingers are resting?
That entire seal has to snap in and lock in place with the very bottom of the glass all the way across.

Your opinion may vary ... of course.

@AmsterDutch

Re&Re - Wiper Arm Shaft Cowl Seal

001-jpg.jpg

019-jpg.jpg

020-jpg.jpg

029-jpg.jpg

GLWR

Last edited:
Yes, the wiper arm cowl gasket will begin to allow rain water or washer fluid to leak down onto the engine appearance cover and thus running down onto the Coil covers potentially causing shorting of coils.

HOWEVER ...

the glass to cowl rubber seal, if not snapped into position correctly or properly, it will allow leakage down past the back side of the cowl down into the engine bay. It needs to be snapped tight to the bottom of the glass and zipped outwards, making a complete seal. Rain water or sprayed washer fluid can and will, run past the glass seal.

View attachment 828566373

That entire seal has to snap in and lock in place with the very bottom of the glass all the way across.

You opinion may vary ... of course.

@AmsterDutch

View attachment 828566374

View attachment 828566375

View attachment 828566376

View attachment 828566377

GLWR

HOWEVER ...

View attachment 828566373

You opinion may vary ... of course.

@AmsterDutch

View attachment 828566374

View attachment 828566375

View attachment 828566376

View attachment 828566377

GLWR

Thanks Rigs much appreciated I now know to tell the guy to leave the cowl off and I will reinstall it myself I took it off and painted both the driver and passenger side plastic cowls they turned out pretty good.... Can I buy the new foam seal at The auto store or do I have to buy it through Ford dealer?

It's a Ford part as illustrated. Suppose you could find other foam gasket rings like that but you'd want to be sure it's a perfect fit. Clearly a Ford specific designed gasket.

painted both the driver and passenger side plastic cowls

You mean the left and right black plastic front glass trim? Those on the sides of the glass? I'm sure this is what you mean as the wiper arm cowl unit is one entire piece.

~ Clean up the wiper arms and give them a nice fresh coat of black satin.

CAREFUL with those wiper arms, up in the extended service position without blades attached. Spring loaded, they'll smack down in a hurry and ruin your newly installed windshield.

Be Fn cautious, kid you not!

I need to replace the two side plastic trim mine are shot. Do you know if I can still buy these from the dealer? I meant I painted the two plastic pieces under the hood that attach to the glass with the rubber here that is a pic of what I painted and a pic of the trim I need to replace also the plastic trim molding side pieces don't look like they fit like they use to now that the new window is in ....what am I doing wrong or did I break the side trim taking it out :(

I have it all back together and it's going to rain in Minnesota the next two days so I'll be testing it out to see if the cowl seal will keep water out I swear re hope so sounds like it could be a major pain in the rear if my rubber seal on the plastic cowl is warped or not holding a good seal I'll keep you posted ...thanks a million Rigs and Joe

It's a Ford part as illustrated. Suppose you could find other foam gasket rings like that but you'd want to be sure it's a perfect fit. Clearly a Ford specific designed gasket.

You mean the left and right black plastic front glass trim? Those on the sides of the glass? I'm sure this is what you mean as the wiper arm cowl unit is one entire piece.

~ Clean up the wiper arms and give them a nice fresh coat of black satin.

CAREFUL with those wiper arms, up in the extended service position without blades attached. Spring loaded, they'll smack down in a hurry and ruin your newly installed windshield.

Be Fn cautious, kid you not!

By the way the spring loaded wipers is exactly why I'm replacing the damn thing Rigs would've been nice to know about the springs a couple years ago when changing out my wiper blades lol yep SNAP!!! Next thing you know I was thinking wow that didn't sound good, it was way to loud when the metal wiper hit the glass accidents happen but I don't like $303.00 dollar accidents lol

I put new paint on the wipers, so I guess we were on the same page " great minds think alike "

Last edited:
Now that I re-read your post I guess I thought you were calling the two separate plastic pieces attached on the bottom of the glass Cowels.... I need to study definitions more on this car

Someone has broken or cut your cowl into two pieces. I would be very surprised if it doesn't leak now. It's just one piece on both of my LSes, and every other LS that I have seen.

It looks like the cowl is still available, but at $1000, I'd look in the junkyards for one.
XW4Z-5402010-AB - Ford Parts Giant

Not good!!! Is there any after market cowls that come in two pieces that the previous owner could've put in because the driver side piece fits perfect under the passenger side piece like it's meant to fit like that??????
Someone has broken or cut your cowl into two pieces. I would be very surprised if it doesn't leak now. It's just one piece on both of my LSes, and every other LS that I have seen.

It looks like the cowl is still available, but at $1000, I'd look in the junkyards for one.

I have a 2001 LS Sport it's a gen 1 not a gen 2 does that matter

Nope it's meant to be in half as you can see from the pictures the driver side is meant to go underneath the passenger side this very rare indeed....any thoughts Joegr

Anyone know the part # of plastic exterior windshield cover trim passenger and driver side????

Someone has broken or cut your cowl into two pieces.

That's somewhat odd. Was wondering what he was referring to as two pieces. I'm going to have to pop the hoods of both GEN's here today.

01.jpg

Ain't that something, another GEN1 vs. GEN2 difference.

I've had that cowl off several times some years ago, I don't ever recall noticing that either since working on the 03 full cowl when I replaced the foam gasket and refreshed the washer spray fittings.

Members online

No members online now.
Back