Lost door controls and now get a data error

SouthernGemini

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a search on LVC and found some other threads but none with this exact issue. Most data error threads I saw were more serious or the occasional quick data error flash. My issue began when I got into my 98 Lincoln Mark VIII Wednesday afternoon and noticed I lost door controls. The car unlocked like it should and I closed the door. It started fine but when I went to adjust the door windows nothing happened. After some discovery, I learned by mirrors, door locks and windows do not operate. The mirrors move down when put in reverse but that function is turned off. Seat moves back when door is opened but easy entry is off. Keyless entry no longer works. It's almost like something in the door came loose when I shut it and now devices are not talking. It hasn't rained in days so it is not a water issue and the fuse for the windows seems fine but I did not test it. Here is video of what the control center displays after I disconnected the battery and then connected it again after one hour.

https://youtu.be/wbv6ar9f_A8

There's a spot on 2nd gens under the speeker where the wire harness contacts the inner door skin and can cut the wires.

Thanks slowmkviii. If the rain holds out tomorrow, I will remove the door panel and see what I can find. I also noticed I do not have interior lights when I open the door thus another sign a wire was cut (likely a ground b/c all functions have ceased) or the door switch is going awry.

Did you check your fuses? I had same thing and it was a 10 amp fuse. I believe the mirrors/ seat are fused through two different circuits, thus they would still work for the automatic settings if manual doesn't work and vs. versa.

I sure did and it wasn't the fuse. Since it is now dark in the evenings when I get home, I am going to need to take it to my mechanic at this point. I was able to fix the leak of the water running into the passenger floorboard (at least I think I did) by fixing the foam strip on the bottom of plastic at the bottom of the windshield. I need to post the pics of what I have done.

Glad you got the water leak fixed.

When you checked the fuses, did you use a multi-metre to confirm continuity? Some times fuses look good but do not allow current to move through them.

No, I was 40 miles from home when the problem occurred and I simply took a replacement fuse from the holder and put it in. That said, the replacement fuse could be faulty as well. Hmm, I HOPE it is as simple a fix as a fuse. Maybe, just maybe, my replacement fuse was not good. I will test it and get back to you guys.

No, I was 40 miles from home when the problem occurred and I simply took a replacement fuse from the holder and put it in. That said, the replacement fuse could be faulty as well. Hmm, I HOPE it is as simple a fix as a fuse. Maybe, just maybe, my replacement fuse was not good. I will test it and get back to you guys.

did you get a chance to check it?

PROBLEM FIXED!! I checked the fuse on the drivers side (the one that is in the dashboard area) and the fuse was good. I brought it to my mechanic and picked it up Friday. It was a FUSE! He was surprised I hadn't checked it b/c we go back 30 years and I have 3 cars that I drive and do A LOT of stuff myself. Apparently there is a fuse in the box under the hood that controls some electronic communication and it was blown. I feel like an idiot. With so much going on with my house build, repairing my excavator, meetings with the bank, etc. I didn't take the time to pull out my dealership Lincoln Mark VIII service manuals to follow the power sequence. Those expensive manuals do me no good if I don't open them. :Bang

I don't know WHICH fuse and I need to post it for you guys so we can avoid this in the future. The shop was closed when I picked up my car Friday and it simply rained all weekend.

Here is a picture of the fuse box with an extra 30 amp fuse. My mechanic replaced the 30 amp that was bad and he also put an extra one in there in case it happens again. So if any of you guys have the same issue as I did, start with checking that green fuse. It's been 2-3 weeks and no problem with this issue BUT my alternator went out a few nights ago. See other thread.

20161221_140047.jpg

Also, when I checked the fuses on the side of the dashboard by the drivers door the fuse puller was missing. I don't like that. I ordered a couple of fuse pullers off of Ebay and they appear to come from Asia per the Ebay listing and markings on the bag. They were inexpensive and works well. Right now it is a tight fit and it stays on the holder so I hope over time it doesn't get loose and fall into the dash.
20161223_152757.jpg

20161223_152928.jpg

I was having similar problems and replaced the 10a fuse (no. 41) on the interior fuse box. It is the top left fuse. Problem solved thanks to user 91 LSC SE !

I was having similar problems and replaced the 10a fuse (no. 41) on the interior fuse box. It is the top left fuse. Problem solved thanks to user 91 LSC SE !
Happy to help! Many have helped me here!

Staff online

Members online

Back