How many miles on your LS?

Over 277000 here, 01 V6. Original engine, replaced with a used one tranny at 137000 or so, 4th degas i think, 4th clock spring, 3rd radiator. Replaced plugs and coils twice at 100000 and 242000, new suspension up front, probably 20th set of tires lol.

Original interior other than rewrapped steering wheel, and that just cause of the color.

Love the car. Thinking of getting an S-type R, but love my LS too much. We will see.

Quote LOUD: `you should just remove your bottle and post some pictures of it just to prove to everyone else that yours isn't full of cracks like all those bottles in those evil pressured systems... '

That's good! 164K.My 04 is approaching 140K unpressurized. NO leaks,NO cracks!
How bout the plastic parts? Radiator? That seems to be an exception to the rule of bad DE-GAS bottles.
02 had bought Dorman bottles, so not too much expected from them, UNLESS UN-pressurized, of course,which is my point in trying to help him. don-ohio :)^)

So,HyLIfe! How much do you think the 2 radiators and 3 DE-GAS bottles alone cost you? don-ohio :)^)

Over 277000 here, 01 V6. Original engine, replaced with a used one tranny at 137000 or so, 4th degas i think, 4th clock spring, 3rd radiator. Replaced plugs and coils twice at 100000 and 242000, new suspension up front, probably 20th set of tires lol.

Original interior other than rewrapped steering wheel, and that just cause of the color.

Love the car. Thinking of getting an S-type R, but love my LS too much. We will see.

Stuff has costed a lot over the years, i stopped counting already. Recently changed the front hub bearings, dccv, lower control arms. Hey no car payment and I like having a unique ride.

Stuff has costed a lot over the years, i stopped counting already. Recently changed the front hub bearings, dccv, lower control arms. Hey no car payment and I like having a unique ride.

That's what i'm saying. I picked my '03 up for $400 planning on flipping it, but I just fell in love with the thing. Gonna be trading in my car-payment vehicle and driving the LS real soon. Can't wait to have the freedom of no car payment. Its been probably 5+ years. But its an LS, so I might not have a car payment, but i'm sure the constant maintenance will make up for it :)

......but i'm sure the constant maintenance will make up for it :)

You don't know "constant maintenance" until you've owned a 60's anything!! At the way we drive today we would be under the hood at least every 6 months!!!

Dad had a 66 Ford CUSTOM(289 engine) that went 235,000 miles with NO engine work until I broke the frame by pulling a trailer over terrible deep potholes.
I owned a 62 Falcon(170 special) that ran nearly 300,000 miles with NO engine repair, not even a timing chain. The 60s cars were dependable where I came from.

The 289 engine was one of the most dependable ever made. You must've owned Chevys or Ramblers.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

Dad had a 66 Ford CUSTOM(289 engine) that went 235,000 miles with NO engine work until I broke the frame by pulling a trailer over terrible deep potholes.
I owned a 62 Falcon(170 special) that ran nearly 300,000 miles with NO engine repair, not even a timing chain. The 60s cars were dependable where I came from.

The 289 engine was one of the most dependable ever made. You must've owned Chevys or Ramblers.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

I didn't say it wasn't reliable or needed massive (or any) engine work. I said they needed lots of maintenance. I guarantee non of those engines were on the original plugs, wires, coils, points, etc.

I had a 64 1/2 Mustang (225 horse 289, 4-speed, 4-bbl) that I blew a freeze plug right out of the block!

And the cooling system was pressurized with NO overheating issues...

Quote LS4me: `I had a 64 1/2 Mustang (225 horse 289, 4-speed, 4-bbl) that I blew a freeze plug right out of the block! And the cooling system was pressurized with NO overheating issues... '

Of COURSE it was pressurized,if it blew a freeze plug right out of the block!
It wasn't so bad to run pressure back then,with all metal parts and UN-pressurized overflow bottles in the 70s.Still had to worry about blowing hoses and water pump seals though.

As far as maintenance, I changed the oil faithfully on my cars at 3000 miles, because oil was inferior and filters were inferior,along with very few having overdrive trannies in the 60s domestic cars. Plus tires were inferior. Aerodynamics were Inferior.
Gas was good in octane, but dirtier. Plugs needed changed more often ,or cleaned,which was fine , because of the gas and the inferior spark created by points ignitions compared to electronic.
The maintenance on THOSE cars was easy. You could get to the plugs easily in most cases,change points and condenser easily too.MOST torque converters had DRAIN plugs on them. don-ohio :)^)

Well 51,839 with some time before snowfall left, looks like I will break 52,000 this year! And Elephantrider, my wife wanted a Suzuki SX4, I refused to buy her one, I bought her a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited instead. She had the chance to drive an 2012 SX4 yesterday, and came back telling me how glad she was I didn't buy her one.

04 V8, 148k. Bought it with 120k Last November. New thermostat (whole housing, side cap blew off), upper hose (plastic T exploded made a new one with an aluminium T so this wont ever fail again), radiator (side tank cracked), de-gas bottle (had multiple cracks) water outlet pipe (cracked around the base), DCCV (full heat all the time, actually needs it again) and a whole other pile of parts not related to the cooling system

2000 Ultimate with 71,400 miles.

IMG_2459.jpg

Last edited:
I just hit 100k and could not have done it without this forum lol!!!!

I got 200 miles on mine after being parked for over a year before the side cap blew off the thermostat housing. Now its parked in the garage again, with two packages on the way with about $600 in cooling system parts.

Nearly 60k on mine, was an old lady's car I believe :D

Same here, purchased mine with 61K from an older gentleman who owned it since new....and used it to tote his golf bag around!

68K Currently, will stay that way until next April.

04 Sport V8... siver birch/parchment @ 176k. Hoping to get to 250k without a major powertrain failure. Of course this means one more complete cooling system rebuild.

BTW... after Don-ohio being banned from here for his falsehoods,,, he is now on another Lincoln form spreading his blasphemy... now recommending up to 65% anti freeze/water ratio. Lincoln says not to go over 60%,,, and I've seen 60% ratios freeze where I live due to not enough water. Don says older systems had unpressurized overflow bottles. While that is true... the rest of the system WAS pressurized. Ignoramus doesn't see that the overflow is now part of the pressurized cooling system... and that when a cooling system is unpressurized,,, the engine runs hotter.

STAY AWAY from any of Don-Ohio's advice.

Over 60% will cause damage to the aluminum parts (engine) over the long term. I wonder why he upped it? Maybe having overheating problems?

Over 60% will cause damage to the aluminum parts (engine) over the long term. I wonder why he upped it? Maybe having overheating problems?

If you can't raise the boiling point with pressure, then you have to raise it with glycol.

I'm at 296,300 miles and holding, lost a passenger side (V6) coil 2 weeks ago and won't get to it until next week, then it will be used rarely for the winter.

04 Sport V8... siver birch/parchment @ 176k. Hoping to get to 250k without a major powertrain failure. Of course this means one more complete cooling system rebuild.

BTW... after Don-ohio being banned from here for his falsehoods,,, he is now on another Lincoln form spreading his blasphemy... now recommending up to 65% anti freeze/water ratio. Lincoln says not to go over 60%,,, and I've seen 60% ratios freeze where I live due to not enough water. Don says older systems had unpressurized overflow bottles. While that is true... the rest of the system WAS pressurized. Ignoramus doesn't see that the overflow is now part of the pressurized cooling system... and that when a cooling system is unpressurized,,, the engine runs hotter.

STAY AWAY from any of Don-Ohio's advice.

I replied with this:

That'll shorten the life of the aluminum engine components... Save money for an engine replacement as it's much less expensive than doing regular cooling system maintenance...

Members online

No members online now.
Back