ABS and Traction Control light

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha Guys. It's been a while since my last post. My LS was doing that good.

However, I just got ABS and Traction Control light came on as soon as I got on freeway to go to work this morning. Drive to my work is like 10 miles at most, so I just kept going, and seems it was driving OK. After work, Started my car and still had the lights on but only this time, when into ETC Fail-Safe mode within few minute of driving. From here, same 10 mile journey to home.

Made it to home and plug in the reader but it tells me there is no code stored, Maybe I have to get better reader. Now, I know it's kinda hard without the code to pinpoint the problem, but what will be the most likely scenario? I've search on this site and found several similar problem with ABS and Traction Control light on, but it seems as no one had to deal with Fail-Safe mode.

I'll try look for better scanner tomorrow, and will definitely try to duplicate the problem to see if it will give me code this time (more like if my scanner will read this time, with ANY code).

Thanks for any advice and help.

You need a better (often Ford specific) code scanner to get the ABS codes. The most often cause for your symptoms is a bad wheel speed sensor. (In your case, more likely a rear one than a front one.) A minor ETC failsafe can be triggered if the ABS can't tell the PCM how fast the rear wheels are turning, or if there is some ABS module or wiring problem causing a communications issue between the ABS and the PCM.
I assume that your speedometer is still working?

Thanks joegr. Yes. Speedo was and still working. I'm in the process of getting better scanner. Still trying to duplicate the symptom(?), but so far, just the ABS light, no traction control, yet.

Myfirst,

I agree with what Joegr said. My first suspicion would be a rear wheel speed sensor. If it were a front sensor... you wouldn't be getting the traction control error. Normally not my recommendation... but for as cheap as the speed sensors are,,, go buy two for the rear instead of buying a new scanner. If one sensor is out, the other is probably not far behind from doing the same. Repace both. That is the normal rule with auto repair.

Thanks 04. I always replace in pair if it comes in two. I plan to get better reader anyway as this is my second time that my reader did not return any code.

I'm waiting on the parts right now..................

The app/program called FORscan can read ABS codes and sensors. It's basically a full fledged Ford scanner. It runs on Windows (best interface IMO, free) as well as Android+iOS (shoddy demo, $5 for full version). All you need is the device to run it and an OBDII interface. I've used my Bluetooth-enabled Windows laptop and Android phone with a $15 OBDII-bluetooth dongle

I also use Torque (Android) for standard OBDII monitoring

Thanks FDR. After many review, that's what I plan to get. Waiting for Bluetooth interface to come in as we speak.

Hawk03, I wish I look at your site earlier. Unfortunately, I already placed an order and waiting for the parts to come in. Damn...............

FDR,

Which adapter are you using with your laptop??? The basic ELM327 USB model, or something else. Program looks good.

My laptop has Bluetooth, so I use the same ELM327 Bluetooth adapters I use with my Android devices. I love being able to walk around the car, switching all kinds of things on and off, like testing the brake lights one at a time. Sure, the car tells you when and which light is out, but does that dash display make you feel like a wizard?

Unfortunately, neither of my dongles seem to be available any more, so I can't recommend any. Both were less than $25 each though

I found an ELM327 bluetooth adapter... that is actually made in the USA, (one of the things I look for in all products). At $100-$150 it's not cheap, (especially when considering a free program), but they don't make a Windows compatible version yet. Might be time for an e-mail to the company. Shamefully... I don't own a smart phone yet,,, and I really don't want one.

FDR,

Please list the adapter you have purchased,,, so I can check specs against others.

Myfirst,

As a secondary thought,,, you may want to check every electrical connector. I just hit me that you live on the "island" State. Take it from someone who lives in the "rust belt"... copper and tin plating,,, doesn't react well to salt.

Thanks 04. But the parts are on the way here. I did check with Forscan and it tells me left speed sensor is the corrupt. Besides, I take it as good opportunity to check rear under of the vehicle. I haven't keeping up with regular maintenance as my other car is 86 Monte SS and she needs more attention than my LS lately (Mostly rust, some mechanical).

MyFirst,

I wasn't suggesting you didn't need the parts you ordered. I was suggesting that while you are underneath the vehicle... to check all electrical connectors,,, since you live in a "saltwater" atmosphere. Maybe you already knw to do this,,, but on top of what I already mentioned,,, I would suggest buying some dielectric grease... and coating all tabs in all connections under the car.

Who knows??? Maybe when you take things apart to replace the sensors... you may already find some active corrosion within the connectors.

Just suggestions based on past experience.

Aaaaaah. Gotcha. Yeah, Seasalt condition is pretty bad here. At least we don't have road salt. I've heard some horror story, not from this site but from Monte SS circle.

Anyway, I was under the car other day as the parts came in. Under side of the car wasn't as bad as I expected. Maybe because my other car is 30-years old, so my LS look clean. However, if you go to Tasca website, they list same part number for both Right and Left rear speed sensor. I should've caught it, but sometime car have same part number for both side, so I went and order two parts, using their website and click on one right and one left just in case it matter. Come to find out that part number was for Right side sensor and left side does have different part number (more like different letter). Send them email on late Wednesday night (what should been early morning for East Coast), but still waiting for Tasca to take care of it. They sent me reply on early Thursday, and I reply right back, but I haven't heard anything since then. I hope they will resolve this quick, as I'm living with ETC Fail-Safe mode everyday.....................

My car is finally fixed thanks to Hawk03 who happened to have the correct part that I need and ship me the part right away. I decided to follow up on this thread because hopefully, no one will experience what I'm going through right now.

Initially, I bought my parts from Tasca, who still have the wrong part number listed for the left rear wheel sensor after numerous complaint I made. They have the correct part number for the right side which is 3W4Z-2C190-BA, and list the same part number for the left but it should be 3W4Z-2C190-AA.

When I found out that they had the wrong part number listed and I needed a different one, contacted Tasca through email (due to time difference. I rather make the call, but by the time I finish work, most of the places are closed). Bad idea. Each time I reply their email, different staff answer my email, most of the time they don't have clue why I'm sending them emails to make the exchange. And yes. I reply to their email, so I have no idea why I have to explain what happened each and almost every time. Anyway, initially, what I wanted them to do is to exchange the wrong part with the correct one. At, first they told me I need to buy the correct part as they though I made the mistake of ordering the two same part. After several exchange of email explaining to them that it was their website that listed the wrong part number (this took several days and more than a few mail), they finally said they will do a full refund but I need to order the correct part separately instead of just making the exchange. They said they will send me pre-paid return label for me to ship back the parts but I need to pay another shipping for the correct part I'm going to order. Three weeks later from the initial email, week from what they promised to send me the pre-paid label, I'm still waiting. I did send them email yesterday for the label, and they told me check my spam/junk mail folder or setting. Really?? Anyway, just to make sure, I check all my junk/spam folder and checked the setting, I could not find anything. I just sent them the mail telling them I could not find anything anywhere. I'm just hoping that they will send me the shipping label this time.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience. I bought from many other online store, but this is by far the worst experience I had. I was driving with ETC Engine Fail-Safe mode for almost three weeks!

^^^^^^

This is why I buy direct from the dealer, Rock Auto, or in a pinch... O'Reilly's. Rock sells Standard Motor Products brand,,, and O'Reilly's sells Borg Warner, which is just a rebadged SMP... usually with a lifetime warranty. I have 8 Borg coils on my LS with 100k miles on them. They might outlast the car... as long as they dont assimilate. :-D

^^^^^^

This is why I buy direct from the dealer, Rock Auto, or in a pinch... O'Reilly's. Rock sells Standard Motor Products brand,,, and O'Reilly's sells Borg Warner, which is just a rebadged SMP... usually with a lifetime warranty. I have 8 Borg coils on my LS with 100k miles on them. They might outlast the car... as long as they dont assimilate. :-D

Tasca is a dealer. Back east I believe.

Still waiting for them to send me the return shipping label. They keep saying I'll get the label from USPS, never receive one. Just to make things clear, I have disable all my junk/spam mail filter because last time they told me it's in there. Not really. Still, I have a feeling they gonna tell me check the junk/spam folder.

Glad I could help and your issue with the car is fixed. Hopefully you will be able to get the refund back from Tasca.

Members online

Back