Gen 1 V8 Stock Exhaust Question

1 single Magnaflow # 11386 - 4" x 9" x 14" Dual In/Out Satin Stainless 2.5" True X core design,
positioned in the tunnel, resonators deleted, 2.5" piping w/ chrome Magnaflow tips.

you may or may not be describing the boxes sitting in my kitchen right now... :shifty: well except the second box has black power coated tips!

Cel won't be an issue... and I've heard a cat less exhaust on a ls v8.. loved it

I do really like the sound of a extremely aggressive exhaust on larger V8s, where the larger bore and stroke create a beautiful symphony of sounds that really can make your pants fit tight, but smaller V8's like this tend to sound very different, with the much smaller displacement, it really is extremely similar to a pair of Honda motors joined at the hip(4 cyl at 2L is right about 8 cyl at 4L ), and the last thing you want is your car sounding like two civics racing down the road!

Not to mention.. my clogged cats are killing my mpg in a serious way

now that is a horse of a different color and I can understand that...

I do really like the sound of a extremely aggressive exhaust on larger V8s, where the larger bore and stroke create a beautiful symphony of sounds that really can make your pants fit tight, but smaller V8's like this tend to sound very different, with the much smaller displacement, it really is extremely similar to a pair of Honda motors joined at the hip(4 cyl at 2L is right about 8 cyl at 4L ), and the last thing you want is your car sounding like two civics racing down the road!

now that is a horse of a different color and I can understand that...
Well...sigh one of these days I'm gonna get under there and remove some sections.. see what it sounds like... I hear the cats on the driver side is a pita

_-_ IG: KID_LYRICS _-_

I dont remember the drivers side being any harder than the passenger side, both sucked and I needed a few different socket extension and wobble adapters.

you may or may not be describing the boxes sitting in my kitchen right now... :shifty: well except the second box has black power coated tips!

Nice! We gonna need some pics!

I do really like the sound of a extremely aggressive exhaust on larger V8s, where the larger bore and stroke create a beautiful symphony of sounds that really can make your pants fit tight ...

Like my 04 LSE you meant!

Like my 04 LSE you meant!

I'm hoping so...

I think I'll my guy will have some time to get me in next week to get it all switched over, but I am wondering if (without cats) if it may be a little too much. I may be going back to real cats soon.

I would guess the diagram you linked is some kind of repair instructions. Maybe you could buy those individual sections back then and the diagram may shows the proper place to cut? Total guess

This is what the diagram looks like in an exhaust parts book at a store like NAPA. It is for exhaust replacement and it shows you all necessary parts (including clamps) with their respective part numbers, to get the job done. That's not to say a lot of shops wouldn't just weld the parts together, but for the average Joe working in his driveway with no welder, these are the parts you would need. Those circles with an X in the middle (P/N 8180) are the rubber hangers - note the lines coming off of the pipes in the same places, those are where the hangers attach to the pipes and then to the car

Alternatively, some Speed Holes will probably let you safely run short pipes while driving, though you'll still gas the cabin when stopped

xWxf2jz.jpg

I have a question. I have a 2000 ls v6 and im buying the flowmaster 10 series this week. Ive been told different things. But i would like to know exactly what il need for the inlet/outlet. The mufflers i like are center inlet and center outlet. But i was told to get center inlet and offset outlet

Kid, you may or may not know yet, but be careful about no cats and the state of Virginia. Back in the late 80's when I customized my 84 Ranger I had to end up registering it as a Commercial Truck to get around the states smog inspection rules. I can only assume that its even worse now. Of course, if I remember it was like a once every 3 year check. Not like Cali which it is every year. That is also the reason no shop would touch your car. Guaranteed loss of license for the business, and other fines.

Not to mention an A r s e hole cop can do what they want to when they pull you over. Just like the rookie that gave me a speeding ticket for 65 in a 35 mph zone on a freeway on ramp - and the Judge help him with the testimony and still declared me guilty! :shifty:

I have a question. I have a 2000 ls v6 and im buying the flowmaster 10 series this week. Ive been told different things. But i would like to know exactly what il need for the inlet/outlet. The mufflers i like are center inlet and center outlet. But i was told to get center inlet and offset outlet

when I did my delta 40's, I went with center in/offset out, and was able to weld it in just fine with out any other modifications including using the factory tips, the mufflers did not set perfectly level but from looking at the car, you couldn't tell that it was anything other than factory. I have also seen pictures on this site of people that went with center in/out flos and they also seemed to fit just fine. with mine I had them mounted vertically, with the center in/out pictures i remember they were mounted horizontally.

also, with super 10's, its going to be nasty loud, and have a sh!t bang of drone around 2k RPM (hwy cruising speeds) hopefully you still have cats and resonators.

when I did my delta 40's, I went with center in/offset out, and was able to weld it in just fine with out any other modifications including using the factory tips, the mufflers did not set perfectly level but from looking at the car, you couldn't tell that it was anything other than factory. I have also seen pictures on this site of people that went with center in/out flos and they also seemed to fit just fine. with mine I had them mounted vertically, with the center in/out pictures i remember they were mounted horizontally.

also, with super 10's, its going to be nasty loud, and have a sh!t bang of drone around 2k RPM (hwy cruising speeds) hopefully you still have cats and resonators.

Thank you so much for your advice! I am keeping my cats and resonator. Even though i have been thinking about deleting my cats since they are bad and throwing off my engine light. I have a v6 so i dont know if it would be too annoying. And good to know! I was originally going for the 40s but if the 10 is too loud then il just go with my original plan. I do have a cai and i heard that it supposedly makes a difference in the exhaust note. Dont know how true that is. Its so hard to find anything on a v6 so ive been completely confused on what i want or what will sound good.

Why buy two mufflers that will end up sitting awkwardly when you can stick one in the tunnel and be done with it?

I do have a cai and i heard that it supposedly makes a difference in the exhaust note. Don't know how true that is.

it wont make any difference at all in how the exhaust will sound... the only thing that can effect the way the exhaust will sound will be any parts AFTER the exhaust valves in the heads.

now the intake will make a lot of noise on its own that will mix with the exhaust when on the throttle, but also the intake noise wont be any different than it is right now.

also you will want to make sure that the cops in your area are not too picky about loud exhaust as the 10's are not a whole lot quieter than no exhaust at all.

I have a v6 so i dont know if it would be too annoying....
...Its so hard to find anything on a v6 so ive been completely confused on what i want or what will sound good.

honestly, there is very little difference in how the v6 and v8 will sound (at least between these two specific motors) the sizes of the cylinders are so close to each other that they make almost the exact same sound the timing and amount of little explosions are the only real differences. I had the same 40 delta's on my v6 as I used to have on my V8, and it really sounded almost exactly the same to me.

Why buy two mufflers that will end up sitting awkwardly when you can stick one in the tunnel and be done with it?

agreed, one $100+ muffler > two $100+ mufflers all day long.

and they do make a dual in/dual out super 10, but it does look like its a fraction of an inch wider and thicker than the magnaflow, so the fit would be even tighter.

it wont make any difference at all in how the exhaust will sound... the only thing that can effect the way the exhaust will sound will be any parts AFTER the exhaust valves in the heads.

now the intake will make a lot of noise on its own that will mix with the exhaust when on the throttle, but also the intake noise wont be any different than it is right now.

also you will want to make sure that the cops in your area are not too picky about loud exhaust as the 10's are not a whole lot quieter than no exhaust at all.

honestly, there is very little difference in how the v6 and v8 will sound (at least between these two specific motors) the sizes of the cylinders are so close to each other that they make almost the exact same sound the timing and amount of little explosions are the only real differences. I had the same 40 delta's on my v6 as I used to have on my V8, and it really sounded almost exactly the same to me.

Wow you have definitely helped me a lot. This is exactly what i wanted to know and il go ahead and go with the 40s. Do you have your cats? Does it make a noticable change in how the car performs/hp?

My friend has the same ls as me but v8. He has 2 mufflers he has done himself too at his shop and you can barely tell. It looks good and i like it plus im putting on tips too. So il be leaving it all in his hands.

agreed, one $100+ muffler > two $100+ mufflers all day long.

and they do make a dual in/dual out super 10, but it does look like its a fraction of an inch wider and thicker than the magnaflow, so the fit would be even tighter.

Also do you have a video with your v6 flowmasters?

Wow you have definitely helped me a lot. This is exactly what i wanted to know and il go ahead and go with the 40s. Do you have your cats? Does it make a noticable change in how the car performs/hp?

no, misfires (and me driving on them) destroyed my cats to the point the car could not be driven... catless wont make the car preform any better at all, and will annoy you with a constant check engine light, I just don't feel like spending the money to fix it and would rather save that money up for the LS's inevitable replacement. also it made the car sound louder and a lot more raspy. it started off with just the 40 delta's and that definitely changed the tone a lot and made it much deeper sounding. it got louder but not by a whole lot. then the next step was to cut out the resonators and replace them with straight pipe. that was about perfect, made it even a little louder and added just a touch of rasp to it but not insane, it did also add a fair amount of drone around 2k RPM. unfortunately shortly after than is when i had coil failures that ruined the cats. getting rid of them made it very loud, very raspy, and a whole lot of drone. but getting on it does sound very nice and I don't like to let off... even better is down shifts for engine breaking with all the crackles and pops.

however after nearly 8 years, one of them has rusted completely out and fell off, so last week she when under the knife again and got a whole new configuration. now its got slightly larger pipe all the way from after the front empty cats and completely removed the third empty cat chamber. instead of a pair rear mounted mufflers, I had a dual in/dual out straight through muffler with internal X pipe mounted in where the resonators originally placed with straight piping out the back. so far it sounds amazing, different for sure but since its not a chambered style muffler, I've still got a few weeks of letting it settle in before I know how its really gonna sound.

no the v6 was so long ago and was taken out before her prime, I only have three pictures of her left and one of those was with her crushed up on a flat bed after a rollover. :(

heck I don't even think I have a video of the V8 with the flows on it... all of my previous phones have taken such poor quality sound in videos, I tried it once but it was windy out and all you could hear was the wind maxing the mic out.

I do plan on getting a vid of the new system after she is all settled in, but like I said, its gonna be a few weeks before that ready to happen...

no the v6 was so long ago and was taken out before her prime, I only have three pictures of her left and one of those was with her crushed up on a flat bed after a rollover. :(

heck I don't even think I have a video of the V8 with the flows on it... all of my previous phones have taken such poor quality sound in videos, I tried it once but it was windy out and all you could hear was the wind maxing the mic out.

I do plan on getting a vid of the new system after she is all settled in, but like I said, its gonna be a few weeks before that ready to happen...

Oh dam. That sucks! I couldnt imagine losing my car after all the hard work ive done to it. And its a pain in the ass sometimes!! Ive had mine almost 2 years and im just now getting to the fun stuff, i bought it cheap with intentions of it being a project car and there was A LOT to fix. But i am thinking about taking out my cats. My engine is perfect now but sometimes when i take off it just doesnt want to take off right. And i know it has to be the 02 sensors and cats. Since its the only codes i have. Ive redone literally everything else under the hood that can cause a issue

Members online

No members online now.
Back