Gen 1 V8 Stock Exhaust Question

Kid_Lyrics

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of a STOCK

2000 2001 2002

LINCOLN LS V8 Exhaust system installed on the car?

Or

Uninstalled but completely intact?

I can't find a picture or video anywhere.

I've found black and white diagrams labeling parts with numbers but no luck with ACTUAL PIPING of the exhaust from the Catalytic Converters to the tips in the rear.

Brackets, Bolts, Flanges, Hangers, and all in one.

These were the most I Could find. They give me a good idea but an actual picture with good angles would do wonders.

f75a9978b2f0ef383784a4b86f13f282.gif
21fb262f80d222193816a19a159d7c6c.jpg
96f68bb574331baf36d3a6fd74ad77ce.jpg
fa75950a9f2769631458ea4ecf406426.jpg

It helps Don, but it's already been modified. It does give some good angles. However, if that were stock, it'd be great.

I didnt think to look for exhaust mod threads, I'll see what I can dig up on that search.

I'm trying to see EXACTLY How and where the exhaust piping disconnects.

right behind the third cat(all three cats* are a single piece that bolts directly to the headers), they are slightly offset, one clamp is a few inches further back than the other.

at your cars age, I would expect them to no longer be able to be taken apart (unless it has been done a couple of times over the years), a few years ago when I needed to "service" my cats, the rear sections were rusted solid to the cat section. I had to cut them apart.

here you can see where the cat section ends
s-l300.jpg

s-l300.jpg

right behind the third cat(all three cats* are a single piece that bolts directly to the headers), they are slightly offset, one clamp is a few inches further back than the other.

at your cars age, I would expect them to no longer be able to be taken apart (unless it has been done a couple of times over the years), a few years ago when I needed to "service" my cats, the rear sections were rusted solid to the cat section. I had to cut them apart.

here you can see where the cat section ends
View attachment 828475668
Gen 1s don't have a third cat right?

Aren't the mufflers bolted on instead of welded or do I have the wrong idea?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

some 1st gens did have the cat, some of them just had the piece of metal stamped around the pipes to hold them together. I've seen both

some 1st gens did have the cat, some of them just had the piece of metal stamped around the pipes to hold them together. I've seen both

Never seen one on a 1st gen. In fact, I've only seen that section on an '03. Neither of my '06's had/have it.

Aren't the mufflers bolted on instead of welded or do I have the wrong idea?

I'm pretty sure the system is just 3 pieces: 2 cat sections, then everything else further downstream is one piece. The offset lead-ins, the resonators, the H-pipe, the mufflers, and tips are all one piece.

There are the clamps joining the cats to the rest of the system. The hangers are labeled in the diagram you posted with the circled X (4 total). That should be it.

Here are some bad pictures from way back when I first got the car

2014-05-21 13.25.46.jpg

2014-05-21 13.25.50.jpg

2014-05-21 13.25.55.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.04.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.10.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.19.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.40.jpg

2014-05-21 13.25.46.jpg

2014-05-21 13.25.50.jpg

2014-05-21 13.25.55.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.04.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.10.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.19.jpg

2014-05-21 13.26.40.jpg

I'm pretty sure the system is just 3 pieces: 2 cat sections, then everything else further downstream is one piece. The offset lead-ins, the resonators, the H-pipe, the mufflers, and tips are all one piece.

There are the clamps joining the cats to the rest of the system. The hangers are labeled in the diagram you posted with the circled X (4 total). That should be it.

Here are some bad pictures from way back when I first got the car

View attachment 828475671

View attachment 828475672

View attachment 828475673

View attachment 828475674

View attachment 828475675

View attachment 828475676

View attachment 828475677
Bad but perfect!!!!!! ****in A!

What year/Gen is yours?

Stock 1st GEN exhaust delete (from my 01 v8 Sport), ready for the junk bin.

100_4231.jpg

100_4231.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "in the black and white pic"

Keeping in mind, the pic I showed you is the exhaust from a Made for Canadian market LS. Although I suspect no difference in the set up.

EDIT - - - - Ah, I see now, no there is not any second set of clamps at all.

Not sure what you mean by "in the black and white pic"

Keeping in mind, the pic I showed you is the exhaust from a Made for Canadian market LS. Although I suspect no difference in the set up.
fa75950a9f2769631458ea4ecf406426.jpg

_-_ IG: KID_LYRICS _-_

Even at the muffler inlets I don't recall any clamps as it was cut clean off.

Even at the muffler inlets I don't recall any clamps as it was cut clean off.
Faaaawwwwwkkk ... that ruins plans lol...

I'm telling ya, if you don't mind it a bit loud with some inside drone,

1 single Magnaflow # 11386 - 4" x 9" x 14" Dual In/Out Satin Stainless 2.5" True X core design,
positioned in the tunnel, resonators deleted, 2.5" piping w/ chrome Magnaflow tips.

... like I did on my 04 LSE

see here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-today&p=2037396084&viewfull=1#post2037396084
Noise? What's noise?
Loud? Idk what that means...

I don't do quiet... lol..

I'm about to go cats only.. even tho I need to remove my cats...I can't find a shop to do it..smh..

I would guess the diagram you linked is some kind of repair instructions. Maybe you could buy those individual sections back then and the diagram may shows the proper place to cut? Total guess

I'm about to go cats only.. even tho I need to remove my cats...I can't find a shop to do it..smh..

I wouldn't... while it will be extremely loud, it will drone terribly at cursing/hwy speed. but more importantly, it will sound very harsh and not very good. you will want some sort of muffler to at least tone down the harshness to it, otherwise it will just sound like a honda with a broke exhaust.

and no, you probably wont find too many shops willing to break the law and remove your cats. however since the LS has high flow cats, you will not see any performance gains from doing so, you will just get a check engine light instead.

honestly, I do like loud exhausts, and it was just about perfect with the OEM resonators removed and flow delta 40s in the back, but after the cats clogged and I had to clear them out, I did not like how it changed the exhaust... whether that is due to the honeycomb not being there anymore to slightly muffle the sound or if the large empty chamber is causing the change in tone, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't... while it will be extremely loud, it will drone terribly at cursing/hwy speed. but more importantly, it will sound very harsh and not very good. you will want some sort of muffler to at least tone down the harshness to it, otherwise it will just sound like a honda with a broke exhaust.

and no, you probably wont find too many shops willing to break the law and remove your cats. however since the LS has high flow cats, you will not see any performance gains from doing so, you will just get a check engine light instead.

honestly, I do like loud exhausts, and it was just about perfect with the OEM resonators removed and flow delta 40s in the back, but after the cats clogged and I had to clear them out, I did not like how it changed the exhaust... whether that is due to the honeycomb not being there anymore to slightly muffle the sound or if the large empty chamber is causing the change in tone, I'm not sure.

Drone.. don't care..

I'm not a muffler guy. I like the bare sounds of the engine I bought.

Cel won't be an issue... and I've heard a cat less exhaust on a ls v8.. loved it

Not to mention.. my clogged cats are killing my mpg in a serious way

Members online

No members online now.
Back