Door Handle Snapped

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Seems like once I fix something, another goes wrong. I went to open my drivers side door, and the handle towards the front snapped off. It's still connected but it's broken, and hanging there. Is there anyway I can have the original door handle fixed? Or do I have to purchase a whole new assembly? Thanks, y'all.

Can't be repaired as in nobody will/can weld pot metal
You can replace just the handle.

Oh great, plus mine is ivory pearl metallic. The hardest color to match, well - what accented handles would look good?.

a chrome one from a continental.
plus the opalescent was a pretty popular color, not terribly hard to find white handles.

a chrome one from a continental.
plus the opalescent was a pretty popular color, not terribly hard to find white handles.

A kind fella offered me 2 handles, passenger and driver (with base) in ivory-pearl with chrome handles for $150 + shipping. There is a ivory-pearl Continental in a junkyard near me, maybe I'll have to check it out. How do they install anyhow?

It is easy to install them, you have to be careful to not gouge the door with all the sharp parts of the cup.

I have pulled a number of them from cars in the you pull it place. I went with chrome for now but since I have cans of touch up paint for my slightly easier than tri coat color of Silver Frost I will probably paint a couple up to install next time I decide to tear into the car.

There seem to be a couple of different styles, the newer Continental ones seem better, but still see plenty of them broken. The chrome ones with the integral weight seem better, they don't have quite as narrow of a place where they seem to break.

17088749292_dc0c60cf97_b.jpg

17089551731_74a0b34885_b.jpg

A kind fella offered me 2 handles, passenger and driver (with base) in ivory-pearl with chrome handles for $150 + shipping. There is a ivory-pearl Continental in a junkyard near me, maybe I'll have to check it out. How do they install anyhow?

That's at the higher end of the pricing spectrum imho. I'd buy a pair of conti handles at the local yard for $20 ($50~ on ebay) and transfer them onto your existing base/bezel. .02

That's at the higher end of the pricing spectrum imho. I'd buy a pair of conti handles at the local yard for $20 ($50~ on ebay) and transfer them onto your existing base/bezel. .02

Oh - I can just swap out the handle? I honestly think the cup broke, but I'm probably wrong. And yeah - I'll hit up a junkyard, I think chrome would look good on the ivory-pearl. And touch up paint? I have some paint chips - is there any paint match for my car?

It is easy to install them, you have to be careful to not gouge the door with all the sharp parts of the cup.

I have pulled a number of them from cars in the you pull it place. I went with chrome for now but since I have cans of touch up paint for my slightly easier than tri coat color of Silver Frost I will probably paint a couple up to install next time I decide to tear into the car.

There seem to be a couple of different styles, the newer Continental ones seem better, but still see plenty of them broken. The chrome ones with the integral weight seem better, they don't have quite as narrow of a place where they seem to break.

17088749292_dc0c60cf97_b.jpg

17089551731_74a0b34885_b.jpg

I just called a junkyard near me, and they have a 1995 Continental in ivory-pearl! $40 for 2 handles and the cups. But my goodness, that chrome really does look good!

I just called a junkyard near me, and they have a 1995 Continental in ivory-pearl! $40 for 2 handles and the cups. But my goodness, that chrome really does look good!

You can replace just the handle.

Grab a flashlight and peek in through the outside to see which one broke.

Replacing just the handle requires removing the whole assembly, remove 2 little retainers on the pins and 2 "springs". A little tricky for a first timer but can be done with a flathead and pliers. Not difficult, just tricky.

s_l1600.jpg

The good thing about that is you'll know how to remove them (w/o caring about damage) which will make installing them easier on your car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back