Getting Rid of Daytime Running Lights

DodgeRam

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi: New member here. Have used the forum in the past to get some great advice. Particularly with head unit installation and the factory sound system. This question is in regard to my beautiful 2000 LS, V8 vehicle. The one that breaks down all the time.

I want to replace the glazed over headlights with new HID units. Unfortunately the vehicle has daytime running lights. From everything I have read so far, it seems the headlights are controlled by a variable voltage from an electronic module. So there is nothing I can simply "unplug" to turn off the DRL. I have taken the car to my local Ford dealer who has told me that no options for deprograming DRL even show up on their computer. I've also searched online and can find nothing.

Does anyone know how to turn off the DRL? Is there a way to get a Canadian front electronic module that didn't come with the DRL?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Are you only wanting to turn off the DRLs because of the HIDs? If you plan to add HIDs the legal (and correct way), then the DRLs will still function correctly with them. If you plan to do it the wrong way (aftermarket) then it can still work. Replace the low beams with HIDs and leave the high beams as is. The DRL function uses the high beams only. HIDs for high beams are impractical anyway due to the startup time required. Cars that do correctly use HIDs for high beams use projectors with a solenoid that opens a shutter and or moves the aim point of the low beams. These cars still have halogen high beam bulbs that are used for flash-to-pass and DRLs.

If you just want to get rid of the DRLs, the simplest way is to get a US FEM from a similar (same generation, same options) LS. (The difference between a US FEM and a Canadian FEM? - The DRLs are enabled by programming on the Canadian ones. The hardware is the same either way.)

Joegr: Thank you for the response and information. My primary objective is to get functioning headlights because I can hardly see now with what I have. These ones have so many little cracks and pits that I will have to replace the housings, and I wanted to use HID for the replacement bulbs. But I've also always disliked the DRL and want it off the car. I had not realized the DRL was only on the high beam and not the low as well. So I'm going to do as you suggest and leave the high beam alone but replace the low with HID and new housings. I'll also leave the DRL alone as it sounds pretty impractical to chase down a replacement FEM. Thanks again for the info.

You can transplant factory HIDs from a 2nd gen (2003 to 2006) LS (and be legal). You just need to swap the complete headlight assemblies. I think there are also a couple of things you need to do cosmetically to make it look right. If you search this forum, you can find instructions for what you need to do.

You can transplant factory HIDs from a 2nd gen (2003 to 2006) LS (and be legal). You just need to swap the complete headlight assemblies. I think there are also a couple of things you need to do cosmetically to make it look right. If you search this forum, you can find instructions for what you need to do.

Good luck finding the HIDs!! They are rarer than hen's teeth! I have a NOS driver's side in my garage. I'll keep it as long as I have an LS in the stable.

Good luck finding the HIDs!! They are rarer than hen's teeth! I have a NOS driver's side in my garage. I'll keep it as long as I have an LS in the stable.

Actually, there's a whole bunch on ebay right now. Not all of them have enough pictures to verify that they really are HID, but there are at least a couple of dozen listed right now.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check eBay and also the salvage yards. We have a lot of 2000-2002 in the yards now. I haven't seen anything newer than that yet. But you never know.

There's a nice pair for sale in the Parts for Sale Forum :)
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...s-for-sale-1st-and-2nd-Gen-it-s-all-got-to-go!

And lucky for you - I'm pretty sure they include all the harnesses you need to plug right into a 1st Gen LS! I had to make these up when I put 2nd Gen headlights on my '02....

OEM HID Xenon Headlights – These were ridiculously priced at one point if you could even find a set, I will start them at $600 – this is pretty close to what I see them on eBay for in worse condition.
Left%20HL1_zps7n70o2en.jpg

Left%20HL2_zpsnute1sye.jpg

Left%20HL3_zpshjs4havw.jpg

Right%20HL1_zpsqj7ft304.jpg

Right%20HL2_zpsw6lfs6pt.jpg

Right%20HL3_zpsuettg4l4.jpg

$600 for a pair? dang, you used to have to wear a mask to get a deal that good! lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back