Injector Size for Supercharging Novi 1500

OU812IC

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Done a ton of reading here and on LOD most of it is pretty dated and I assume that after a while we change opinions.

Investigating injector size as I am collecting parts. In another thread a member told me to get the Cobra ones, 39lb(?). I only got one response. :(

98 LSC - NOVI 1500 and planning on 8lbs max - 410s sitting in my pile (but may switch to 373 instead) and a stall. Will be a street car/weekend driver. I am going to run the stock intake likely for quite sometime. I WANT to eventually upgrade the exhaust. 90% sure it will be FMICed. May even add some Meth(TBD at this time)

I found a calculator online and dumped in some data... 400 at the flywheel .55 bsfc and it tells me 34lb.

Not to over think but it looks like I barely make it. I run another calculator and if I bump the pressure up I get a little more "reserve" out of them.

I dont have any short term plans to make this a monster. Maybe someday, years from now upgrade the bottom end and run big heads and big boost but that is WAY WAY WAY down the road.

Any other tips iI am all ears.

Thanks a lot!

Cobra blue tops 42lbs can be found on mustang boards/c-list.
Were in WI are you?

Thanks for responding.

I am having a bit of a hard time finding real 42s that aren't over priced. All kinds of crap China ones on eBay. They say they come with flow charts and so on but I am skeptical. It took me 5 months to find a supercharger at a fair price. I can wait for injectors. I ordered the adapter kit and oil lines Friday.

You want to avoid getting too big of an injector for your application as it only serves to make it more difficult to properly adjust A/F ratios at low load(s). So if less than 39# is calculated, I would go with 39# in lieu of the 42# injectors. Most important is to be sure you buy name brand injectors with known parameters for your tuning software.

How critical are the flow charts for the injectors when tuning? To my knowledge the injectors rarely go bad electronically it's the mechanical side.
This is where I am at. I found a couple of sets of the blue 39lb cobras for around $150. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said his buddy will clean and flow for about $15 each.
For a few dollars more, famous hot rodder saying, I can get FRPP new in the box around $300 iirc.
Gotta love the buddy system...

In my opinion, the flow characteristics are very critical to get right. I've seen many complaints with large injectors due to poor pulse width management at low loads.

Personally I've had poor experiences with 'cleaned' injectors. I'd much rather spend the money on new. I don't believe flow matched injectors are really worth the cost until you get into very high HP levels.

In my opinion, the flow characteristics are very critical to get right. I've seen many complaints with large injectors due to poor pulse width management at low loads.

Personally I've had poor experiences with 'cleaned' injectors. I'd much rather spend the money on new. I don't believe flow matched injectors are really worth the cost until you get into very high HP levels.
I have read many of your posts and I greatly appreciate you taking the time. For my clarification and not trying to put words in your mouth by any means..... get new and get it over with. Used injectors that have been cleaned and flow tested and documented are unreliable? Speaking in terms with a broad brush.
Again not trying to put words in your mouth/post.[emoji2]

Just stating my experience. Certainly yours may vary...

or not. :)

Sometimes saving money costs more. :p

Frpp has 47lb with 6 or 8 holes and they are under $300 new for a set of 8. M-9593-lu47. I am going to ask my tuner in the morning what he thinks about getting them to run right. They would give me room to grow a little but I understand about the too much injector to tune aspect.

Good news!!
I heard back from my tuner and they said the M-9593-LU47 are not to big and they can tune with them.
More good news.
I said to hell with it. Hours of web and forums searches, I am tired of getting half or old threads with partial information, broken pics and so on. The old green top pumps are out dated technology so it seems. I didnt quite understand posts about AEM or Aeromotive pump after more reading that those dont work becuase of the PWM system the 97/98s have. I am getting the Aeromotive 11142 340 pump. The specs say that they can work with PWM fuel pumps and the minimum voltage is 6 or 8 volts. They dont spec it for our lincolns or the 98 cobra. When I spoke with Aeromotive on the phone they didnt know what to tell me other than the phantom setup. they have nothing for the 98 cobra or the 97/98 Marks.
Next stop is to find a filter that can handle the flow that will fit and work factory fittings.

I promis when I am done I will compile everything in one new thread and at least share what I found that worked and didn't work. hopefully more of what did work.

You may not learn something new everyday but you do learn what not to do....

Du

Members online

No members online now.
Back