Considering '03 cts for the wife

SoulSoak

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My apologies for such a blunt first post here, but, I need some advice and/or opinions on a car. I'm considering picking this up this afternoon.

http://holland.craigslist.org/cto/4945879674.html

If the car checks out, I just wonderered if I could get some insight on common maintenance? I'm capable of doing most anything on my own. I've been a proud owner of a 2003 Lincoln LS8 and have done quite a number of extensive repairs and maintenance in it. This forum has been very helpful.

So yeah, what are the common failures? Suspension wise? And how about the transmission? I believe the one in this cts I'm considering is the original with 340k miles on it. I've found several replacements for a few hundered so that's not too bad if it were to fail. How about the engine? What commonly fails or needs replacing there? With the Lincoln LS it's the cooling system plastics, coils and plugs, tranny solenoid, etc.

I appreciate any advice and input and thanks for your time.

rear diff is weak as a wet piece of paper. being that car is a v6, you may not have
any worry, but i'd ask when the last time the fluid was changed, then change it
again right away if you end up buying it.

i'd also bring a code scanner and confirm the bad o2, or lean condition, etc...

if you have a code reader thats high end enough, i'd confirm the abs issue as wel,
but that's a relatively easy fix on replacing the hub / abs sensor.

last thing is, with that many miles on it, i'd be trying to get the seller down to way
closer to $2k.

good luck !

rear diff is weak as a wet piece of paper. being that car is a v6, you may not have
any worry, but i'd ask when the last time the fluid was changed, then change it
again right away if you end up buying it.

i'd also bring a code scanner and confirm the bad o2, or lean condition, etc...

if you have a code reader thats high end enough, i'd confirm the abs issue as wel,
but that's a relatively easy fix on replacing the hub / abs sensor.

last thing is, with that many miles on it, i'd be trying to get the seller down to way
closer to $2k.

good luck !

Thanks for the reply and advice. I was assuming the same when it comes to the abs/tcs. Should be easy fix. Will deffinately verify the codes being thrown are accurate. Did some reading and heard something along the lines of an F1 + F6 code clearing trick, then to drive and see if they come back and or what they are.

I am only bringing $2500 cash, and don't even anticipate spending that much. We'll see what happens. Thanks again

Members online

Back