creaking sound in brake pedal and front right wheel

jruppert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my brakes and I am just not sure where to start. When pressing the brakes, I hear a dry sound in the pedal when reaching towards floor. I also hear a creaking sound, or a dry sound, on the passenger front brake. I thought about replacing the pads but they do not grind. I would hate to start throwing parts at it. Pads are cheap so I thought I would start there either way. My next thought is a caliper.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

My front left creaks. Its something with the rearward caliper sliding pin. I tried throwing grease at it to no avail, so I suspect it's either contaminated or damaged. I used a syringe to put the grease in the bracket without removing it from the car, just removing the pin

You can try doing the caliper bolts on all 4 corners. Sound can travel in funny ways, so that noise in front could actually be coming from the rear. Caliper bolts are wear items, but few people ever replace them.

Had, still have this problem on my right front caliper. I think ls4me was the one who told me the only fix is to replace the caliper. I've greased it to no avail, it always comes back.

Had, still have this problem on my right front caliper. I think ls4me was the one who told me the only fix is to replace the caliper. I've greased it to no avail, it always comes back.

Yup.... I had that creaking/dry cable sound from the right front. I greased the pins and the back of the pad to no avail. I replaced both front calipers (has to be a couple of years now) and the sound has never returned. My wife's '06 hasn't developed this issue; neither has my daughter's (my old) 2000.

I purchased a set of new pads and new pins for the calipers today. I should have purchased rotors but wanted to see if this would help. The pads looked fine. I removed the caliper and pins. The pins moved freely so I just regreased them and replaced pads. Strangely enough, the creaking sound when away. Ideally, I should have purchased new rotors. We shall see how long it lasts.

I purchased a set of new pads and new pins for the calipers today. I should have purchased rotors but wanted to see if this would help. The pads looked fine. I removed the caliper and pins. The pins moved freely so I just regreased them and replaced pads. Strangely enough, the creaking sound when away. Ideally, I should have purchased new rotors. We shall see how long it lasts.

My creak also went away after cleaning and greasing the pins. It came back after a couple of weeks. The only long term solution was to replace the caliper. Why you may ask? I don't know as there is no metal cable between the pedal and caliper. The only thing that comes to mind is that one, or both, of the pistons in the caliper are creaking.

Mine does this too (220,000 miles). I cleaned and greased the pins really well and still have the noise. It could be because they are worn, or the piston(s) itself is making the noise. The pads don't hang and the car rolls very well and stops fine so my choice was to live with it. Maybe I'll try new slide pins next brake job. I personally can't justify replacing otherwise functional calipers without doing the STR upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.
Back