Parking Brake Stuck (Emergency)

Andrizzle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a manual way to disengage parking brake?

I am in a random parking lot and it is stuck. The yellow P on the brake leer is flickering. Fuses are good. Already tried moving into gears. Foot on brake. Etc. battery disconnect. And module disconnect.

I am having someone take me home to get my other parking brake module (if i can find it). Hopefully this works.

At least it's friday.... -.-

The old module worked. Looks like the 'revision' module shorted out or some variance.

Glad i had one lying around. Phew!

This thread can die now.

I'm truly glad Gen 1's don't have Electronic Parking Brakes.

I'm truly glad Gen 1's don't have Electronic Parking Brakes.

That's one opinion.
For myself, it's a feature that I would really miss.
I've have two cars with manual/mechanical parking brakes, and two with electric/electronic parking brakes. The electric ones are much more convenient. (Of course, unlike many I use my parking brake every time.) Anyway, have you had a car with electric parking brake? Or are you just assuming you wouldn't like it?

Mine does have the electric parking brake, I use it when I park, and I don't like it. I like a parking brake that I can use as a backup braking system under my control, not a brake with an on-off button making it only good for parking. The best emergency braking system IMO is the handle brake, since it can be controlled with one hand only.

The electric one will work as a brake in gear if you apply it with foot on the brake as well.

Anyways, I always use my parking brake. I had replaced the module around a ear ago with a 'revised' version. This removed the false "service parking brake" message.

However last night the module died randomly. And it happened with it engaged. I wish there was a failsafe on it to disengage with any error of the park brake. I happen to be lucky I hung onto my old/original module.

But I agree with joe, the electric parkig brake is a really nice feature IMO.

A little bit off of andrizzles posts.
But..

Mine does have the electric parking brake, I use it when I park, and I don't like it. I like a parking brake that I can use as a backup braking system under my control, not a brake with an on-off button making it only good for parking. The best emergency braking system IMO is the handle brake, since it can be controlled with one hand only.

I'm pretty sure their is a way to apply the electric parking braking only a certain percentage for using it as additionally braking power.
I forgot the method but I'm sure someone will chime in on how to

Anyone know a manual way to disengage parking brake?

I am in a random parking lot and it is stuck. The yellow P on the brake leer is flickering. Fuses are good. Already tried moving into gears. Foot on brake. Etc. battery disconnect. And module disconnect.

I am having someone take me home to get my other parking brake module (if i can find it). Hopefully this works.

At least it's friday.... -.-

From the repair manual:

The EPB system must be reset whenever the battery has been disconnected or has been in a state of discharge.

To reset the EPB system, follow the steps:

Place gearshift selector in the PARK position.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Press the brake pedal and at the same time pull on the EPB switch.
Release the EPB switch. To release the EPB switch, push on the EPB switch while depressing the brake pedal.

That's one opinion.
For myself, it's a feature that I would really miss.
I've have two cars with manual/mechanical parking brakes, and two with electric/electronic parking brakes. The electric ones are much more convenient. (Of course, unlike many I use my parking brake every time.) Anyway, have you had a car with electric parking brake? Or are you just assuming you wouldn't like it?

No.

I use my PB every time I park. But it also get's very cold here, and regular parking brakes are known to freeze, let alone electronic. While I do like the switch and lack of handle on the console, it's one of those things that I would prefer to stay old fashioned on..

Members online

No members online now.
Back