A bad encounter with a Toyota.

<!-- Begin G-RELL Invoked 5 sentence MAX rule -->

1) Hmmmm, I'd have to flip a coin on this one, honestly!

2) Despite she's making a pass on a lane where she is allowed to be, she is still the passing car and responsible for her pass.

3) but then you are also suddenly crossing into the other lane attempting to go opposite direction thus blocking traffic.

4) I'm not 100% sure, I'd says she'd be responsible as she's doing the passing but perhaps UpstairsChris the COP can shed some light on a situation like this for you.

5) Location: Montreal, PQ correct ?

<!-- End G-RELL Invoked 5 sentence MAX rule -->

LMAO... sooo much better!

All I can add is go meet with your IA and see what they say

I don't know who is truely 'at fault' here. She should at least get cited for improper passing, maybe unsafe lane movement, and driving while stupid. You on the other hand left a spot and left a spot and instead of merging you made a U-turn. My guess is you'll be at fault because you tried to cross lanes of traffic.

I don't know who is truely 'at fault' here. She should at least get cited for improper passing, maybe unsafe lane movement, and driving while stupid. You on the other hand left a spot and left a spot and instead of merging you made a U-turn. My guess is you'll be at fault because you tried to cross lanes of traffic.

1) Yeah, I was thinking along those lines as well but then one has to consider despite that he's across lanes, he's still the leading traffic and the lady was traffic coming up from behind, she is responsible for yielding to all traffic in any lanes.

2) They are both already in the opposite oncoming traffic lanes and I have no clue as to what happens as far as fault when two vehicles are out of their own lanes.

3) like I said, coin toss. I'm thinking she is at fault for not yielding while attempting a pass in the oncoming lanes and he at fault for an unsafe lane chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
<!-- Begin G-RELL Invoked 5 sentence MAX rule -->

1) Hmmmm, I'd have to flip a coin on this one, honestly!

2) Despite she's making a pass on a lane where she is allowed to be, she is still the passing car and responsible for her pass.

3) but then you are also suddenly crossing into the other lane attempting to go opposite direction thus blocking traffic.

4) I'm not 100% sure, I'd says she'd be responsible as she's doing the passing but perhaps UpstairsChris the COP can shed some light on a situation like this for you.

5) Location: Montreal, PQ correct ?

Quebec city, not Montreal. The cop who came that morning said that in a case such as this it'll be considered shared responsibility.

The frustrating thing in all this is that I never really could yield... I didn't see her coming because of that car trying to take my spot, and when I could finally see her coming, she was on a collision course with my car. Obviously when looking back I realize I should've just gone in the other direction, but given her trajectory, even that might've resulted in an accident.

I have a question for everybody: any tips on where to find a HID headlight? The guy at the shop claimed he could get it for 2200$, I found it on the Motorcraft site for 1900$.

Fender and bumper cover are about 500$ each, that's not even that bad compared to the brutality of the HID headlamp price...

Which is, by the way, obscenely overpriced. I still have the original price sheet for the car, and the guy who bought the car paid 625$ for the HID lamps. To replace them costs 1500$ more PER LAMP... so 3000$ total, compared to the 625$ extra he paid to get them. These parts manufacturers are a ripoff the likes of which you rarely see.

I have a question for everybody: any tips on where to find a HID headlight? The guy at the shop claimed he could get it for 2200$, I found it on the Motorcraft site for 1900$.

Fender and bumper cover are about 500$ each, that's not even that bad compared to the brutality of the HID headlamp price...

Which is, by the way, obscenely overpriced. I still have the original price sheet for the car, and the guy who bought the car paid 625$ for the HID lamps. To replace them costs 1500$ more PER LAMP... so 3000$ total, compared to the 625$ extra he paid to get them. These parts manufacturers are a ripoff the likes of which you rarely see.

Do you have to have new?
You can buy used ones for like $300-$500 each

Craigslist, ebay, I also could've SWORN I saw someone selling one of these recently on the forum here... search the threads, it was recent.

if YOUR paying to get them fixed.... your better off (cost wise) switching to halogen...unless you can get a member to part with any extra ones they might have, even then , it'll cost ya.

the Mclaren grille nock off guy (FS section)has a set of halogens for 250 shipped. He's new so buy at your own risk.

you could also call around at the salvage yards and pick up a set of used Halogens, clean them up and worry about going back to HID at a later time or simply install a HID kit into the used Halogen housings.

So much bad advice.

Halogens? Wut. That's a huge downgrade, plus now he needs both sides.

HIDs in a halogen housing? Doing it wrong.

Option prices are ALWAYS less than replacement costs. You think the headlights are bad? Check out the price wheels.... After having HID I can NEVER go back!!!!

looking at the diagram it will be shared responsibility or it will be your fault. since
1. you did a improper lane change. you did this by performing a U turn without a clear lane sine you had a car blocking your view. this is driving test 101. YOU MUST HAVE A CLEAR VIEW OF BOTH INCOMING AND OUTGOING TRAFFIC TO PERFORM A U TURN.
2. it may be your fault since the Toyota could not reasonably think that you will be performing a u turn since also her view was obstructed by the other car. she did the proper thing by going around it since in her view there was no oncoming traffic from the other lane and also it was her right of way for any traffic that was entering and she had the proper speed witch is less than 25mph.
this will conclude that at least she will have 0 to 20% fault but you will have 80 to 100% fault. you had a responsibility to merge into traffic safely and you also have to yield to oncoming traffic and you did neither by preforming a u turn straight from your parking spot and not checking for any incoming traffic and if your view was blocked you should of pulled out straight and merged into traffic and then performed a u turn when it was safe to do so. my brother is a insurance adjuster and we talked about this and he concluded the same.

looking at the diagram it will be shared responsibility or it will be your fault. since
1. you did a improper lane change. you did this by performing a U turn without a clear lane sine you had a car blocking your view. this is driving test 101. YOU MUST HAVE A CLEAR VIEW OF BOTH INCOMING AND OUTGOING TRAFFIC TO PERFORM A U TURN.
2. it may be your fault since the Toyota could not reasonably think that you will be performing a u turn since also her view was obstructed by the other car. she did the proper thing by going around it since in her view there was no oncoming traffic from the other lane and also it was her right of way for any traffic that was entering and she had the proper speed witch is less than 25mph.
this will conclude that at least she will have 0 to 20% fault but you will have 80 to 100% fault. you had a responsibility to merge into traffic safely and you also have to yield to oncoming traffic and you did neither by preforming a u turn straight from your parking spot and not checking for any incoming traffic and if your view was blocked you should of pulled out straight and merged into traffic and then performed a u turn when it was safe to do so. my brother is a insurance adjuster and we talked about this and he concluded the same.

I disagree a bit on the Toyota doing the right thing by passing, since it sounds like the Toyota just blew by the stopped car. She should have stopped to find out why the car was stopped, then proceeded carefully around the stopped car while being prepared to stop. For all she knew the stopped car was stopped for a ball with a kid about to come charging across the road. I'm going to say both cars were equally at fault because when you leave a parallel parking spot you are supposed to continue in the direction of traffic, not pull a U-turn out of the spot.

^this. Not sure if it was said, but if it was a double yellow she is 100% at fault. If not, she indeed had the right of way.

looking at your pictures I think she tried to avoid you since you would of been in a parallel position to the road and the damage is mostly in the front and not the side. so either she swerved to avoid hitting you or you hit her on the side? if she would of hit you there will have been more damage to the wheel and front panel but the way the front panel looks it looks like you hit her if the Toyota hit you it would have had a crushed flat look instead of the crunched look that your front panel has. this is according to what my brother says about the pictures you have.

I disagree a bit on the Toyota doing the right thing by passing, since it sounds like the Toyota just blew by the stopped car. She should have stopped to find out why the car was stopped, then proceeded carefully around the stopped car while being prepared to stop. For all she knew the stopped car was stopped for a ball with a kid about to come charging across the road. I'm going to say both cars were equally at fault because when you leave a parallel parking spot you are supposed to continue in the direction of traffic, not pull a U-turn out of the spot.

and that is where the details are. did she see him, her speed indicates that she didn't blow pass them and according to the report 15mph is very slow and cautious pass. and since we don't have her statements we cant really say what her point of vew was but we can make a reasonable assessment.

it looks like the accident was caused by the you turn and not by the pass. hence a 0 to 20% fault and not a 50/50 at fault. im looking at it from a insurance point of view and knowing what we know now ofcourse she should of stopped but we cant "Monday quarterback" a accident just state how much blame is responsible by all parties in question

^this. Not sure if it was said, but if it was a double yellow she is 100% at fault. If not, she indeed had the right of way.

yup the devil is in the details. if it was a double yellow then they are both at fault because they both crossed it. and that will make it 50/50

Option prices are ALWAYS less than replacement costs. You think the headlights are bad? Check out the price wheels.... After having HID I can NEVER go back!!!!

This. Only thing i hate about my truck, no factory hids even existed for it. I plan on doing a projector hid retorfit.

looking at your pictures I think she tried to avoid you since you would of been in a parallel position to the road and the damage is mostly in the front and not the side. so either she swerved to avoid hitting you or you hit her on the side? if she would of hit you there will have been more damage to the wheel and front panel but the way the front panel looks it looks like you hit her if the Toyota hit you it would have had a crushed flat look instead of the crunched look that your front panel has. this is according to what my brother says about the pictures you have.

Um, she did hit me. I was fully stopped when the accident happened... it just so happened that the impact occurred a couple of inches in front of the wheel. It's hard to see because the bumper has been temporarily put back, but when the accident occurred, it was broken at the corner and blown away on that side... it rested about 1.5 feet from the car at the left end, and still attached at the right end. Not exactly the mark of a front-end collision.

While I admit that the U-turn maneuver was risky, I was stopped while waiting for the road to be clear and she proceeded to hit me anyway. She obviously could see me, since 1-2 feet of my car were clear of the car that was waiting for the parking spot, yet she failed to either swerve or stop. She was likely not paying attention to what was going on.

I've had occasions when I had my way blocked by a car which was sideways on the road, waiting to turn in one direction or the other... and generally when that happens, one tries not to slam into the other car even if it's technically not supposed to be there.

As for the line, it was a single yellow line. Also, as the diagram should show (perhaps better), the collision occurred about 5-10 feet from the intersection. Basically, the girl in the Corolla saw the stopped Echo and blew through the opposite lane trying to pass it, obviously disregarding what might be on the other side.

what did the insurance company say so far. did you take pictures of the bumper off hopefully you did that's a key piece of evidence that the corollas insurance company may want to dispute. have you gotten the police report, it should have some of her statements and also their opinion on what happened.

As long as the report is in your favor, that's all that matters.

not really, cops are not trained insurance adjusters, the report will basically do is either confirm or deny that the event happened and the position of the cars when they arrived on the seen. so it will stop a lot of the he said she said stuff. but the insurance company is the one that makes the judgment of fault depending on the evidence of the report that is supposed to be a independent party. I wonder did you get a statement on the other car that was waiting for the parking spot what did that driver say.

Members online

No members online now.
Back