parking break

lking

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
what the hell could be causing my e break light/service (P) to turn on The parking break works when i press the button i can hear the breaks come on The light it not on all the time just sometimes
I changed the dual climate control valve a while ago it so it cant be that :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Maybe if you started using the parking brake instead it wouldn't be broken?

Anyway, if the message is just now and then and not all the time, it may be that you battery is getting weak and it's time for a new one.

There is a TSB for the 04 model suggesting that the parking brake module be replaced for this issue.

If the message is all the time, then first check the plastic pieces at the ends of the parking brake cables at the calipers.

When mine came on it was because the brake fluid was low and was leaking all over the caliper where the e-brake hooks in; needless to say I had to replace my caliper (both to have them even).

When mine came on it was because the brake fluid was low and was leaking all over the caliper where the e-brake hooks in; needless to say I had to replace my caliper (both to have them even).

The brake light and the service parking brake light are two different lights. I assuming when the OP said service parking brake light, that's what he meant.

Brake light = red light on cluster = parking brake on or brake fluid low

Service parking brake light = yellow light on console = problem with the electronic parking brake on gen II

The brake light and the service parking brake light are two different lights. I assuming when the OP said service parking brake light, that's what he meant.

Service parking brake light = yellow light on console = problem with the electronic parking brake on gen II

Didn't realize. I don't have a gen II so I was thinking that he was describing what I went through.

Didn't realize. I don't have a gen II so I was thinking that he was describing what I went through.

He may have been. After rereading the post, it isn't a 100% clear to me which he is talking about. I may have assumed wrong.

I think theres a problem with the electronic break module if this is an issue with the 2end gen then most likely thats what it is...not gonna bother fixing it how miuch do the modules go for $500.00? wouldnt be surprised

Maybe if you started using the parking brake instead it wouldn't be broken?

Anyway, if the message is just now and then and not all the time, it may be that you battery is getting weak and it's time for a new one.

There is a TSB for the 04 model suggesting that the parking brake module be replaced for this issue.

If the message is all the time, then first check the plastic pieces at the ends of the parking brake cables at the calipers.

i always thought if u dont use something often theres less chance of it being broken...but then again this is an ls so u might be right

i always thought if u dont use something often theres less chance of it being broken...but then again this is an ls so u might be right

I think it's better to use the parking brake every time. I do, and the only issues so far were on the 04 when the battery was getting weak. (about 150K on the 04, about 80K on the 06 - so far)

These cars do some weird things. I had a bad DCCV which somehow triggered the service parking brake warning.

These cars do some weird things. I had a bad DCCV which somehow triggered the service parking brake warning.[/QUOT

i was hoping that would be the problem with mine because i had a bad DCCV and i replaced it but the damn brake light didnt turn off

These cars do some weird things. I had a bad DCCV which somehow triggered the service parking brake warning.

it could be low battery i dont drive this car alot maybe 3-4 times a month and when i do drive it i have the system on full blast so the battery never really gets charged

^^ that can definitely do it.

you should go and get this tested for free at most part stores, if you have a failing battery and you dont take care of it in a timely manor, you will be replacing the alternator next.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1e8c35e8&vxp=mtr

Service parking brake light = yellow light on console

is this the part I need to shut this light off?

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1e8c35e8&vxp=mtr

Service parking brake light = yellow light on console

is this the part I need to shut this light off?

View attachment 828455132

Unlikely. A fault with the switch can cause the light to come on. If your switch isn't physically broken, then it's probably not the problem. The parking brake module would be more likely to be the problem if the parking brake cables are okay and correctly attached to the calipers.

Joe,

On my 2002 I recently swapped all rotors and pads and had the fluid flushed. After it was serviced the red brake light came on. I thought there was a leak and took it back. The mech and I looked at it and I thought it was too full.

He went and drained the brake fluid a little and the light went away.

However the light intermittently comes on during driving. I've noticed when it's cold it rarely comes on, but when the engine heats up after awhile I notice the light comes on intermittently.

Could the fluid just be expanding with temperature you think? I find it hard to believe it's low brake fluid with these symptoms. also, the fluid level in the plastic reservoir is almost at max.

its probably the fluid sensor that needs to be cleaned or replaced

its probably the fluid sensor that needs to be cleaned or replaced

I agree with that. I also think that der3wuste3fuchs would be better off to post this in a thread about brakes, not a thread about the electric parking brake on gen II.

I think that you have to change the reservoir out. I don't think they sell just the float sensor.

Joe,

On my 2002 I recently swapped all rotors and pads and had the fluid flushed. After it was serviced the red brake light came on. I thought there was a leak and took it back. The mech and I looked at it and I thought it was too full.

He went and drained the brake fluid a little and the light went away.

However the light intermittently comes on during driving. I've noticed when it's cold it rarely comes on, but when the engine heats up after awhile I notice the light comes on intermittently.

Could the fluid just be expanding with temperature you think? I find it hard to believe it's low brake fluid with these symptoms. also, the fluid level in the plastic reservoir is almost at max.

did you disconnect your battery like we talked about in the other thread? when you disconnect the battery it will prompt you to set the parkign brake. if you turn the car off before it prompts you to set the brake or ignore the prompt, it will not calibrate properly and you will get light & service message. only way i know how to fix it for sure is another disconnect/reconnect of the battery, though I would imagine that there is another way to recalibrate the parkign brake without disconnecting the battery. check the service manual if you dont feel like doing the battery again

What happens if you hold the foot brake pedal down then apply the parking brake? This is the procedure to adjust the parking brake. Occasionally I get the service parking brake warning and this procedure makes it go away.

What happens if you hold the foot brake pedal down then apply the parking brake? This is the procedure to adjust the parking brake. Occasionally I get the service parking brake warning and this procedure makes it go away.

i think youre right, thats one way of getting it to reset. i had the battery disconnected for some reason and i forgot to reset it and i tried that and it wouldnt work for me. the msg would go away but it would prompt me to set the brake everytime i put the key int he ignition...
i jst said fck it and disconnected the battery again, set it the first time when prompted, and it stopped asking from then on out.

Usually that would work. The 04s (maybe some other years?) have a problematic module that gets goofy when the battery is weak. It doesn't go into the battery disconnected recalibrate bit, and is difficult to clear on demand. Still, if you use your parking brake every time, it will often clear after a few trips.

Thanks for the input. I actually have a messed up parking brake so I'll just go with cleaning the sensor first. Is this in the fluid reservoir?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, the OP had multiple brake threads and got them confused.

Thanks for the input. I actually have a messed up parking brake so I'll just go with cleaning the sensor first. Is this in the fluid reservoir?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, the OP had multiple brake threads and got them confused.

Yes, the sensor is in the reservoir. I can't imagine how you can clean it without contaminating the brake fluid, unless you take the reservoir off.

This will have no effect on your gen I mechanical parking brake.

Members online

No members online now.
Back