Drive shaft coupling

fudge12

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
After taking my car in for an oil change and explaining to him the vibration i am having in the rear, he pointed out to me that my transmission mount is totally busted and my drive shaft coupling has a crack. He explained to me that the coupling is the source of the vibration I am experiencing. I'm looking all over at my local parts stores and none of them seem to have it. Are these couplings sold individually? If so, which stores carry them?

There was a discussion earlier about this, I think you're probably SOL. Start calling dealers. Might have to by the whole driveshaft.
Or junkyards.

really? i destroyed an otherwise perfect coupler in my 2000 ls 5spd because im tossing a one piece driveshaft in it, had known they're unavailable i would have given you mine

My transmission guy wanted to put in one he has laying around in the shop free of charge if I do the tranny mounts by him using his parts. So I figure what the heck. He calls it a "damper." Can anyone confirm if the "damper" and "coupling" are the same thing?

Not sure if any of these will work, it would be nice if we could find out. Dorman list GUIBOs for Toyota, BMW, GM, and mercedes.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&q=driveshaft+coupler

Creative Steel makes upgraded ones for GM products.

https://creative-steel.com/store/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=guibo&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

I have not found anyone listing products for the LS. My old XR4Ti used a BMW part (if my memory is correct).

Well looks like I'll be riding around with it until next week. What's the worse that can happen if I keep driving it like this?

Probably nothing. Try to avoid the freeway. Worst case is it disintegrates and drops the driveshaft, but that's unlikely.

Probably nothing. Try to avoid the freeway. Worst case is it disintegrates and drops the driveshaft, but that's unlikely.

It couldn't drop it just from the rubber disintegrating. Look at the pictures in the thread I started....there's a flange on the driveshaft and one from the transmission or rear end depending on which end you're at. A bolt with a nut on the other side actually mounts them. There is a metal sleeve that runs through the guibdo and mounts flush to both ends, but that's likely just to prevent wear on the rubber. In any case without the guibdo there, it would still be connected.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=87299

Phew, that's a big concern out the way. The vibration it causes is just plain annoying, but I could live with it. :) If anyone knows any information about the diameter and thickness of the guibo and the diameter of the bolt holes, I may be able to substitute it for one of a similar construction.

Based on 01 V8 Sport

driveshaft2.jpg

icon4.gif
CAUTION: All driveshaft assemblies (4602) are balanced. If undercoating the vehicle, protect the driveshaft to prevent overspray of any undercoating material.

The driveshaft is a two-piece design. A single center U-joint and a slip yoke connect the front shaft assembly (4817) and the rear shaft assembly (4602). The front and rear shaft assemblies are separable at the slip yoke. However, the slip yoke has no blind spline or index marks so it is imperative to index-mark the assemblies before separation to prevent an imbalance condition. The driveshaft uses new design flex couplings (4684) at each end of the shaft that takes the place of traditional U-joints. The driveshaft has alignment bushings (4635) at each end of the shaft. These bushings align the driveshaft with the pilot stems on the transmission flange and the axle pinion flange. Only remove the flex couplings from the driveshaft if it is necessary to install new flex couplings/alignment bushings. Always install new alignment bushings and flex couplings as a pair.

The driveshaft, has traditional balance weights attached (spot-welded) by the manufacturer. The final driveshaft balance occurs with the complete drivetrain assembly at vehicle assembly by attaching weighted color-coded nuts to the axle flex coupling bolts. For this reason, the rear flex coupling bolts are longer than the front transmission flex coupling bolts. Always install the driveshaft flex coupling bolts with the head of the bolt seated against the flange, and the nuts seated against the flex coupling.

To adjust the driveshaft angle, selective thickness spacers sit between the body and the center support-bearing bracket. Driveshaft angle specification is one degree or less. If the driveshaft angle is above one degree, damage to the alignment bushings and flex couplings will occur.

- - - -

what part is it you need specific information on ? year, model ?

driveshaft2.jpg

Wow. That's a beautiful diagram you found there. Specifically #14 part number 4684. I have the 2000 v6 non-sport

I won't say this with abosolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure the front drive shaft DOES have a blind spline on it that is squared so as to have the correct orientation when mating the two.

Of course this could be different between model years. Mines '02 v8

Members online

No members online now.
Back