just going to leave this here...

It all depends upon what there current linup does. If it is not successfull, Lincoln will be gone. This is why Ford has spun them into there own entity. They need to put up or shut up. One point I would like to make, is that they need to make vehicles that are not rebadged fords. People in the luxury market crave uniqueness. Also, they need to stop making the same vehicle decade after decade. Vechicles need to be refreshed or completely changed often.

won't happen...licoln motor company will be **** up for this ever happens

and before I even read it...right away first thought that came to my mind was a longer wheelbase mustang and first paragraph in what did it say...

It all depends upon what there current linup does. If it is not successfull, Lincoln will be gone. This is why Ford has spun them into there own entity. They need to put up or shut up. One point I would like to make, is that they need to make vehicles that are not rebadged fords. People in the luxury market crave uniqueness. Also, they need to stop making the same vehicle decade after decade. Vechicles need to be refreshed or completely changed often.

All of the major car makers (Mercedes & BMW excluded) rebadge their vehicles of some sort. Lexus ES330-Toyota Camry, Cadillac SRX/Chevrolet Traverse/Buick Enclave, Nissan 370Z/Infinity G37. What Lincoln needs is a challenge to the CTS-V coupe. This is probably what they are working on.

All of the major car makers (Mercedes & BMW excluded) rebadge their vehicles of some sort. Lexus ES330-Toyota Camry, Cadillac SRX/Chevrolet Traverse/Buick Enclave, Nissan 370Z/Infinity G37. What Lincoln needs is a challenge to the CTS-V coupe. This is probably what they are working on.

Problem is they have their head up their @ss. Why can't they be creative? Why do they have to do the same thing again? Base it on Ford's Mustang or on the Thunderbird? I know, all Lincolns are Fords dressed in Tuxedo's but I think in order to COMPETE with the LUXURY 2 DR market you really need to put your 2 cents into it & not just throw some designs on a Mustang, throw a LINCOLN badge on it & call it a day.

LINCOLN needs to step it up & exceed today's current 2 dr Luxury Coupes in order to stay in the game for a couple years. That being said, price tag on one of these puppies should be expected to be in the $65-$70k range IMO so in other words, no matter what, it's just a dream car for most of us anyway.

That being said, price tag on one of these puppies should be expected to be in the $65-$70k range IMO so in other words, no matter what, it's just a dream car for most of us anyway.

exactly..everyone always complains about how lincoln should build this or build that, but in all reality were sitting here on a mark viii forum fretting over how a $300 set of headlights is a rip off and how air ride parts are too expensive and blah blah blah..lets get real, would anybody here ever buy one of these lincoln luxury super cars if they actually made one?

Problem is there is so much electronic technology in the new vehicles, that they can't make them cheap. Our cars are dinosaurs in comparison. Besides, I"m not talking about making a few high dollar coupes. I"m talking about Lincoln surviving as a brand. They need new vehicles that share nothing with ford. They need volume, that will keep the price down. We'll see towards september of next year, when final model year sales numbers are out.

I don't know why you guys are acting like you are.

This is the same thing they did back in the mid 90s WITH OUR CARS!

What do you think you're driving? A Mark VIII was based on the current Bird/Cougar body of that time.
Now they're gonna do it again with a Mark ??? being based on a Mustang.

History repeats itself, ladies & gents...

They need new vehicles that share nothing with ford. They need volume, that will keep the price down.

No. An entirely new line of vehicles sharing nothing from its parent company line will not keep the price down. That would drive the price up! They'd have to start from scratch and redesign absolutely everything! That would not be a smart business move. If you take in to consideration the time/money involved to create a vehicle (or vehicles) that would share nothing with a Ford.

The baby steps they are taking is exactly what they need to do right now. Test the waters, make sure they're warm, then jump in.

A rwd coupe based on a stang? Sounds like a great idea to me...... pretty sure that's how they came up with the Mark 7. 5.0 HO, AOD automatic, solid axle..... only to be improved upon by creating the Mark 8 when they jumped platforms to the tbird/cougar chassis. Just think about the possibilites a few years from now when they're cheap for hotrodders to get a hold of..... swap in the 5.0 6spd drivetrain and have a modern hotrod lincoln!

To make an entirely brand new car that could possibly fail is not a good business move. Now, maybe once things take off, yeah you might see some one-off stuff unique only to Lincoln, but I wouldn't expect it right out of the gate.

A 2.9 V6? Why not drop a 4.6 or the new 5.0 in? Or if they're going the V6 route the new 3.7 puts out 305 hp and is pretty quick.

Just make sure it doesn't look the part of a stretched mustang. You can't see much tbird in a mark, and hundreds of thousands were sold. Make sure it has a unique engine too, because like the article said, luxury buyers like uniqueness. Put in a ecoboost 5.0, call it an lsc, and observe V owners peeing their pants over in the corner

I wonder if it will look similar to the concept Mark IX

Lincoln-Mark-9-Coupe.jpg

Lincoln-Mark-9-Coupe-rear.jpg

Lincoln-Mark-9-Coupe-interior.jpg

The concept Marque X sure looked an awful lot like like the Mark VIII:
1992_Lincoln_Marque-X_Concept_01.jpg

92lincoln_marque-x_3.jpg

I don't know why you guys are acting like you are.

This is the same thing they did back in the mid 90s WITH OUR CARS!

What do you think you're driving? A Mark VIII was based on the current Bird/Cougar body of that time.
Now they're gonna do it again with a Mark ??? being based on a Mustang.

History repeats itself, ladies & gents...

I just said that... However selling these Mark VIII's for only 4 years pretty much tells you they didn't make it very far. WE LOVE THEM but the general public DIDN'T!!! I'm almost convinced it won't work if they repeat the same scenario as our Mark VIII. I'd like to see a Mark series 2 dr car run more than 4 years like the Mark VII did. Back then things were simpler. Now, ppl want cars that talk back to them so we shall see what LINCOLN comes out with.

Lincoln-Mark-9-Coupe.jpg

92lincoln_marque-x_3.jpg

Both of these concepts are outdated. Especially the orange concept. I like them but don't expect it to look anything like this.

I just said that... However selling these Mark VIII's for only 4 years pretty much tells you they didn't make it very far. WE LOVE THEM but the general public DIDN'T!!! I'm almost convinced it won't work if they repeat the same scenario as our Mark VIII. I'd like to see a Mark series 2 dr car run more than 4 years like the Mark VII did. Back then things were simpler. Now, ppl want cars that talk back to them so we shall see what LINCOLN comes out with.

Both of these concepts are outdated. Especially the orange concept. I like them but don't expect it to look anything like this.
Where are you getting 4 years from?

93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98. I count 6...

Lincoln-Mark-9-Coupe.jpg

92lincoln_marque-x_3.jpg
I would love to see the Mark 9 go into production just as it looks in concept form. It's a beautiful, perfectly proportioned, thoroughly modern design that looks just as good now as it did in '01 or so when it came out. It's distinctly Lincoln in its design and couldn't be mistaken for any other make, regardless of what platform it's based upon. As long as it's RWD with a V-8 engine, it works for me. The Marque X, however, is definitely dated. It looks a little too "late 80's" whiz bang for my taste.

I really think lincoln should just do a rebadge and upgrade to the mustang platform. The Mark VII was a great looking car compared to the fox stangs. Give it a distinct front end, a mark trunk with the tire hump and an upgraded interior. Perhaps even offer an upgrade in performance. I wouldn't stretch it or try to redesign it. The mustang is a proven performer and lincoln should just put a tuxedo on it.

I love the styling of the mark viii but I can't stand the direction Lincoln's styling has gone over the past 15 years, their whole lineup just looks ugly, they would have to entirely change their styling if they built another luxury performance car for me to like it. At least Cadillac made the cts v sleek and sporty, but I don't see Lincoln doing so.

I was saying the Marque X (which came out in 1992) looked an awful lot like our beloved Mark VIII that came out 1 year later. Look at it; the Mark VIII was pretty darned close to it.

I bet the next Mark to come out will strongly resemble the Mark IX concept that came out in 2001.

I was saying the Marque X (which came out in 1992) looked an awful lot like our beloved Mark VIII that came out 1 year later. Look at it; the Mark VIII was pretty darned close to it.

I bet the next Mark to come out will strongly resemble the Mark IX concept that came out in 2001.
I doubt it. It's been almost 12 years since the Mark 9 (not IX) concept was introduced. Lincoln's styling direction has changed dramatically in that time. My guess is that it would look closer to the MKR concept from a couple of years ago. That concept was actually based on the S197 chassis but with a proper IRS. Personally, I don't see Lincoln resurrecting e "Mark" name any time soon.

I really think lincoln should just do a rebadge and upgrade to the mustang platform. The Mark VII was a great looking car compared to the fox stangs. Give it a distinct front end, a mark trunk with the tire hump and an upgraded interior. Perhaps even offer an upgrade in performance. I wouldn't stretch it or try to redesign it. The mustang is a proven performer and lincoln should just put a tuxedo on it.
:eek::rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.
Back