Unbelievably tired of weird issues..

possible solution to check next:
since I'm also having weird troubles with the Cruise engaging, it lights up then back off almost immediately as if I hit the brakes.. I'm wondering if the Lincoln has a switch in the brake pedal that interrupts power to the TCC solenoid when they're applied, like a lot of cars do, and if that has gone awry, or a brake sensor of some sort is the issue.

possible solution to check next:
since I'm also having weird troubles with the Cruise engaging, it lights up then back off almost immediately as if I hit the brakes.. I'm wondering if the Lincoln has a switch in the brake pedal that interrupts power to the TCC solenoid when they're applied, like a lot of cars do, and if that has gone awry, or a brake sensor of some sort is the issue.

If gen I is like gen II, then -

The brake light switch (under the dash, at the pedal) is used to
Disengage the cruise control.
Light up the brake lights.
An input to the PCM that it may use to disengage the torque converter (other inputs may have to be in certain ranges too).
Disengage the shifter lock (if in park).

There should also be a hydraulic brake pressure switch (at the master cylinder) that is used to interrupt power to the cruise control servo. (This is a failsafe on the cruise control.) I don't know if it is monitored for anything else. On gen II, it is an input to the PCM since there is no cruise servo to de-power.

Hmmm.. wishing I had more concrete details on Gen I because the way it sounds, if my brake lights light up, then this switch is not the issue, despite sounding pretty spot on.

Hmmm.. wishing I had more concrete details on Gen I because the way it sounds, if my brake lights light up, then this switch is not the issue, despite sounding pretty spot on.

Do you know for certain that they aren't lighting up when they aren't supposed to, because that would be the problem instead of an issue with them not lighting when they should.

Incidentally, Ford had problems in the early 2000's with that hydraulic pressure switch and fires. My 2001 Ranger has that switch and was recall for it. (The result of the recall was that they plugged an extra harness into it that has an in-line fuse.)

Ah. I see what you're getting at.. it would be actuating at random, not not actuating when I want it to. Hm. That'll be trickier to test.

Ok - so the last few days I've taken it out for a spin and done a TON of top gear cruising and I haven't had any lockup/disengage issues unless I try to turn on the cruise control...

Maybe you should take a look at the cruise control module/servo.

Ehhh.. came back today after a few days of no issues in its full erratic glory. Think I have to take it somewhere with one of those serious scanners to read when its locking/unlocking.

Members online

Back