DESICIONS! This is really, really hard for me!(PICS)

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
Ok, while driving yesterday to the tire shop I ran across a woman at a gas station with a 97 black on black (BASE) with the front end on the ground. I quickly pulled up to her & asked her if she'd be interested in selling the car. She was a sweetheart. Woman is in her 60's. She's the original owner of the car, has all the maintenance paperwork & she told me she is indeed interested in selling it. Local LINCOLN dealership wants $1,000 to fix her suspension. Her 97 year old mother has a hard time getting in/out of the car & she needs a small SUV. The car has always sat outside & never got washed more than once p/month so it needs a paint job however the interior is MINT! The leather is great & all the buttons are there, ash tray & cup holder is perfect, etc... She will take $1,500 RIGHT NOW! Did I mention the car has 61,000 ORIGINAL miles?

THERE'S A CATCH! I cannot own THREE Mark VIII's As much as I would love to own all 3, I simply can't. I'd have to sell my 93. I refuse to sell my prairie tan because that car is simply too damn clean to get rid of & it only has 72k on the odometer. My 93 has 107k. So... That being said, I need your honest opinions, if you were in my shoes, what route would you go?

THIS?

1997, $1,500 Mark VIII, needs paint ( I can get top quality paint job for exactly $1,050.00) & I will do the coil conversion. ($400.00) & I need to restore the headlamps. That's it, the car doesn't need anything else.

20120505_112501.jpg

20120505_112634.jpg

OR KEEP THE BEAST?

My 1993 that has the custom interior, Eibach lowered suspension, dual exhaust with X-pipes but my car needs motor mounts & sway bar bushings. Here's some pictures to help with the opinions.

20120505_184730.jpg

20120505_184916.jpg

By the way, regardless of the outcome more than likely I am purchasing the car. If I keep my 93 I will simply restore the car & then sell it.

If you have the means to fix the issues that are there, then I say go for it! Hate to see another one go to hell. Buy it, and fix it up, and see what you want to do when you get to that point.

dude thats the same car i was talking to you about....shes always at 9 st and 42 ave right accross the latin cafe. the car has potential if its got low miles...the paint is horrible though and the front is always on the ground.

Although $1500 is a good price, you just took care of all the issues that have been bothering you with the 93. Keep the 93. You will have the best of both worlds. Besides, you will get more $ for the black car of you painted it and sold it. I don't understand your hang up with low miles. You are better off getting a car that is driven than one that sits. Look at Jamie. He has well over 200k on his wife's car. It is perfect. Elloitt has 203k. It's driven daily and runs and drives perfect. Plus, you made the 93 unique. Now that it's fixed, enjoy it!!

I say get it, your helping out a little old lady, and the car might grow on you. If not flip it to someone who appreciates marks.

I bought a light driven 93 town car with only 80,000 miles from an elderly gentleman in florida (this was in 05) it was absolutely mint. Garage kept, never seen rain, an absolute cream puff. Within 1 oil change it was burning oil and the bottom end was knocking. From my experience, Mileage doesn't always mean much, if it sat and was driven like a baby its whole life, its going to want to be driven like one. If you buy it, flip it quick.

Hmmm, lets do the numbers:

$1500 for the car
$1050 for paint job,
$400 for spring conversion
$300 for all new front end parts ( You know they will need them)
$30 for alignment
Now you got $3280 in the car. There is no room for flipping it.

I would keep the 93, buy the 97, paint it, get it back up in the front and sell it for a profit. Don't see why it wouldn't bring $3500 to $4500 when finished. Just find some used front air shocks and keep it on air to sell.

just curious, but you mentioned you have eibach lowering springs on your 93..how much lower are the eibachs than stock..is it comparable to the american air 1.5" lowering kit?

The eibach springs I take it did not come with front struts right? If not where did you get the struts from and what else was needed to do the spring conversions with the eibachs?

Don't see why it wouldn't bring $3500 to $4500 when finished.

It is getting very difficult to get that kind of price. Nobody on this board would pay that amount. He may end up having it for a while, and end up selling it at a loss. It would be a good fix up car, but I wouldn't pay more than $700 if I were to flip it. If I were going to keep it for myself, possibly $1100.

It is getting very difficult to get that kind of price. Nobody on this board would pay that amount. He may end up having it for a while, and end up selling it at a loss. It would be a good fix up car, but I wouldn't pay more than $700 if I were to flip it. If I were going to keep it for myself, possibly $1100.

I see what you're saying but I would never offer it on here because "we" all try to get them as cheap as possible but some people will pay the price, especially for black on black with mint interior and a fresh paint job. I would make it a local sale and put it on ebay for no less than $4,000, because of fee's.

Talk the old lady down to $1100
Let the next person worry with alignment. $0
Prep the car myself for it to be sprayed and knock off some of that $1050
Buy this and save another $200 :D Why pay $400

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-MARK-VIII-AIR-SUSPENSION-CONVERSION-KIT-93-98-/150808174706?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Make%3ALincoln|Model%3AMark+VIII&hash=item231cde2072&vxp=mtr[/URL]

Either way, I still say do it! If you have the financial ability to put the work into it, and possibly sit on it for a while, then why not. Who knows, maybe it'll end up working out for you. Just hate to see another one go to hell.

BUy it fix it and flip it. You have a first and a second gen that you are happy with.
Do the prep yourself with some guidance and get it painted. A clean flashy black car will always sell quick. Do it knowing you are selling it and do not go overboard and you will make some coin.

Hey what all did it take to use eibach springs on your 93?? The lowering springs didn't come with front struts correct? What all did you need to use to convert yours to coils if you used eibach springs? Also how much lower is it to stock, how does it compare to american air's 1.5" lowering kit...i've seen pictures of a few cars on here with the american air 1.5" lower kit and it looks pretty damn low, I like the look of yours, if i could get that look I would be happy! BTW your 93 looks badass with the Cobra Rs, they are 17s right?

You need the same stuff with Eibach springs that you would with any spring swap...
I'm using 2"drop Eibachs and Tokicos

You need the same stuff with Eibach springs that you would with any spring swap...
I'm using 2"drop Eibachs and Tokicos

Right but I'm saying what does the eibach kit come with? You would still need the struts right? Unlike the American air kit which comes with everything to convert it to springs.

Ok guys so pretty much I have 13/4 of you saying I should keep the 93 & 1/4 of you guys saying keep the 97. My father & I were talking this evening & he told me something that's true. It all comes down to the overall condition of the 97 once I have painted it & raised it.

I will keep you guys posted tomorrow. We should be purchasing it tomorrow.

Right but I'm saying what does the eibach kit come with? You would still need the struts right? Unlike the American air kit which comes with everything to convert it to springs.

You literally get the springs & that's it. You have to purchase everything else.

Ok guys so pretty much I have 13/4 of you saying I should keep the 93 & 1/4 of you guys saying keep the 97. My father & I were talking this evening & he told me something that's true. It all comes down to the overall condition of the 97 once I have painted it & raised it.

I will keep you guys posted tomorrow. We should be purchasing it tomorrow.

You literally get the springs & that's it. You have to purchase everything else.

ah thats what I figured..and oops just noticed it posted both my comments..i thought it didn't send the 1st one.

Your Gen 1 is so much FASTER than that Gen 2.:)

Funny how one word changes everything. :p

I'd say get the 97 and put minimal work into it and have a nice low mileage Gen 2. You can do most of everything on that car on a good budget because from what I have seen, you know your chit with these cars. That's a huge plus. :cool:

You could also offer to fix the suspension for her and swap out the front bags for coils. You could make a few hundred bucks without the headache.

Members online

No members online now.
Back