2003 Lincoln LS - Replaced Transmission

How is it that the 2000-2002's didn't have this 'bad' trans fluid and all of a sudden the 2003-2004's did? Was there a major change to these trans in 2003 from the 1st gens? Wasn't Mercon V always used in all LS's? So it's possible that our LS never received this additive, even though I know the car was at a Lincoln dealer for some service such as a couple of coil wires and spark plugs as an example. I'm assuming the owner probably would not have known about the fluid issue unless the dealer brought it to his attention. It still boggles my mind that Lincoln would have not put in the correct fluid for one or two model years, how does that happen? So joegr, people with 2005-2006 generally didn't have the trans problems that prior models had?

The transmission changed from 5r55n to 5r55s in 2003, but that's unrelated to the fluid. They got a bad supply/supplier, and didn't catch it for a while. (It took time for problems to show up from it.)
If your LS was shifting okay, then either the fluid was already changed or the additive had been added.
I think that the 02,05, and 06 years probably have/had less transmission problems. This is not to say none, nor is it to say that all LSes of the other years had transmission problems.

Are you planning to replace your 03 with another LS now? If it was repaired correctly, then you should be better off to keep it.

No plans to sell ours, we know someone who may want to buy one and we just want to give them as much info as we can to hopefully spare them going through what we went through if they do decide to buy one. Thanks for the help.

The transmission changed from 5r55n to 5r55s in 2003, but that's unrelated to the fluid. They got a bad supply/supplier, and didn't catch it for a while. (It took time for problems to show up from it.)
If your LS was shifting okay, then either the fluid was already changed or the additive had been added.
I think that the 02,05, and 06 years probably have/had less transmission problems. This is not to say none, nor is it to say that all LSes of the other years had transmission problems.

Are you planning to replace your 03 with another LS now? If it was repaired correctly, then you should be better off to keep it.

At this point, it is more important how the LS has been maintained than what year it started off as. The exception to this being 1st gen V8s, unless the tensioners and chains have been replaced.

I have no idea how it got that bad, we only had it for about 2,300 miles before it went out on us. Not a nice way to start our LS journey. Here is my Mark VIII with 145k miles on it when the pan was dropped for a service a couple weeks after the LS problem. Quite a difference.

View attachment 828477056
Could you send a picture of the collectors mk 8 We would love to see one

Thanks for the welcome! Here is a photo of when the pan came off. Before the pan came off, he ordered a part that he thought was going to solve the problem as he was familiar with these transmissions, in Mustangs and some other cars as you mentioned. I think it was a solenoid, can't recall now now for sure. Don't know if the photo shows it well, but it was full of metal shavings. And the color looked bad also. I also have a 98 Mark VIII Collector Edition with 145k miles and about a week after getting the LS back, I took the Mark VIII in for a trans service after appox 30k miles and it looked nice and red, much different than the color that came out of the LS.

As far as the heater/air, I had read in here before about the plastic, but it isn't low on anti-freeze and I don't see any leaks anywhere. If there is a problem with any of the plastic, wouldn't it have to be leaking in order for that to be the problem? Thanks for the input.

View attachment 828477052
We mark fanatics would love to see a picture of your 1998 Mark 8 collectors edition . Thanks,

Here is our CE Mark VIII

We mark fanatics would love to see a picture of your 1998 Mark 8 collectors edition . Thanks,

Mark VIII.jpg

How is it that the 2000-2002's didn't have this 'bad' trans fluid and all of a sudden the 2003-2004's did? Was there a major change to these trans in 2003 from the 1st gens? Wasn't Mercon V always used in all LS's? So it's possible that our LS never received this additive, even though I know the car was at a Lincoln dealer for some service such as a couple of coil wires and spark plugs as an example.

As Joe said,,, the tranny fluid supplier had a issue... So that depends on when it was into the dealer,,, or if the dealer checked for TSB's if/when it was in for service. Obviously the previous owners, (if the story is true), didn't drive it much. So it probably wasn't in much for sevice... and most likely the dealer never checked for TSB's on the car you own.

Well that must be the case. I believe the car's mileage is correct. I've bought many cars through the years, (used to buy/sell cars from auction) and everything stacks up as far as the mileage normal wear, CarFax, etc. I talked with the Ford dealer they used in the LA area and had the car pulled up locally in LV at a Ford dealer and there was never any mention of service or TSB work done on the transmission, only some coil/plug work. So I guess this is what happens when Ford/Lincoln doesn't do the right thing to make sure owners are notified there is a potential problem as this would have been such a easy fix, changing the trans fluid. Based on my conversation with the previous owner, I think they would have been the type to take the car in if they knew it should be, but I guess I'll never know for sure. It's done and over now and hopefully we have a better than new transmission with this re-manufactured 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty. ETE Reman Warranty Info | Remanufactured Transmissions & Transfer Cases

As Joe said,,, the tranny fluid supplier had a issue... So that depends on when it was into the dealer,,, or if the dealer checked for TSB's if/when it was in for service. Obviously the previous owners, (if the story is true), didn't drive it much. So it probably wasn't in much for service... and most likely the dealer never checked for TSB's on the car you own.

It's really tiny cracks. You won't usually see liquid coolant. Instead, look for white or orange or whatever color powder like stains. It can take a long time for enough to go out to be able to tell a drop in the level. Also, the bigger problem is that air gets in.
It could be one of several doors in system that blend cool and hot air to set correct temp. I am not stating one is stuck as fact, however may just give changing the cars interior temp (especially if dual zone climate system) from hot to cold few times or several and see if air temp responds well. If system gets hot when should and cold when should then go ahead and do coolant change fairly quick and check pump and hoses. Sometimes cars that have sat long time or driven once a month for 10 years have several issues from lack of use. So changing all fluids, plugs,COP's and that stuff could be great place to start. Enjoy your new low mile LS. Wish Lincoln would have kept building and upgrading them. Beautiful street/road car. Great driver and more.

It could be one of several doors in system that blend cool and hot air to set correct temp. I am not stating one is stuck as fact, however may just give changing the cars interior temp (especially if dual zone climate system) from hot to cold few times or several and see if air temp responds well. If system gets hot when should and cold when should then go ahead and do coolant change fairly quick and check pump and hoses. Sometimes cars that have sat long time or driven once a month for 10 years have several issues from lack of use. So changing all fluids, plugs,COP's and that stuff could be great place to start. Enjoy your new low mile LS. Wish Lincoln would have kept building and upgrading them. Beautiful street/road car. Great driver and more.

Where does this crap keep coming from?????
There are no doors that control air temperature in the LS!!!!!!!!! I realize that many cars do it that way (air temperature blend doors), but not all do, and the LS does not. The LS uses the DCCV (Dual Coolant Control Valves) to control the flow of coolant in the dual heater core to set the temperature of the discharge air in the cabin.
Please, if you don't know how something works, don't post incorrect BS about it!

Hi joegr,
I am afraid is not crap and is very difficult to reach and work on. May need long flexible tube with camera to see without dismantle. The LS actually uses both units to control cabin temp. It is hidden forward of the trans hump tunnel behind dash. Looks to be larger odd shaped plastic boxlike section with few square tunnels leading toward outlets into cabin. That box (for lack of correct term) with DCCV or (fluid control pump) control the cabin temps. I am not climate control expert, however to my experience the doors control air pathways by opening and closing inside box and tunnels inside box or tunnels. The two systems are what allow DCC dual climate control or 75 degree air on one side of cabin and 65 degree air out the other. If one or more of the blend doors (like on other Ford products only more doors) becomes stuck it can cause temp change failure. Since your went up and down on its own it seems problem could be elsewhere. It actually has to have blend doors that are vacuum controlled. Sorry do not have pic of system, I have seen it in my own 2004 LS 3.9 and in shop drawings. Quality shop will verify. Take Care, Wes B.

joegr,
When I bought my 04 Charcoal LS Sport with ultimate interior, had sat for 2 years in son of owners driveway untouched. I thought was prudent to change all fluids & filters plus do plugs and COPS. A Lincoln dealer serviced the car in 2010 and replaced 4 COPS and billed as customer pay. before car was 10 years old and after recall. They charged him $100.00 each for part and labor. Was pure bad business and reason so many Lincoln dealers have bad rep. Frustrating to see bill for older man. I sure do not take anyone's word for any work needed on verbal say so only. On your LS I was only pointing to far fetched but possible problem due to low use. The blend doors are real in the LS. How your doors are working or not I have no idea nor claimed I did. I am sure large import dealer can verify the blend doors on LS are not crap and are real. They do work with pump for dual climate control. Best of luck and enjoy your LS. Sorry on your trans problem. Wonder from all the burn if he ever tried to tow with the car or have it behind motor home rear wheels on pavement. Looks to be really scorched fluid. wes b

Nope. You are very much wrong. There are no doors that control temperature, only where air comes from and goes to. The 1st gen did have a "cold air bypass door." It didn't control temperature, but did bypass the heater core for maximum cooling. It could not modulate temperature though. This is, of course, not relevant to this discussion with the gen II. The gen II does not even have the bypass door. I'm not sure what else you are going on about, as I see no point in reading it. It's one thing to be wrong, but it's another to be insistently wrong. (Don, is this you?)

To other members, decide who you want to believe or do your own research.

Hi joegr,
I am thinking that we may be talking about two different things. I am talking about the cabin inlet air temps. That is specifically in my case and most LS models have seen a dual zone climate control. The plastic squareish box I reffered to is basically just an air plenum behind the firewall. I will look up cabin heat and cooling system photos and send to a post. Sounds as if 1st gen LS had what in old days was simply a "vent" setting that let outside air into car cabin without temp control changes. I am not Don.

No, you just don't get it. The only temperature control for the cabin is the DCCV! The recycle/fresh air doors are not the same thing as the gen I bypass door.
I am very, very well aware of the parts under the dash. They only control where the air goes out, not temperature. Why is this so hard for you to accept? Why do you wish to offer advice on what you do not understand or know for a fact?

This conversation is a waste of time and does not help the thread starter at all.

I guess temp blend door actuator does not control temp. If so sorry to waste everyone's time and forum space. I thought and so did others more familiar than I that blending cold and hot will provide warm air or temp wanted inside car. Other doors do send to windshield, floor, dash or combination of all. If wrong with this I apologize. I did not post with intention of spreading BULLSHIT. That may just be how conversation got off topic? It does seem to be waste of time and I agree. Allow all members look at facts available and decide if these doors do blend temps and direct or just direct air provided.
Sincerely,
wes b

Wow...
Wes,
We are talking about a Lincoln LS here. Those diagrams are not for a Lincoln LS. Why don't you look under your dash (assuming that you have an LS)? You'll find it quite different. I guess that you don't even realize that there are not vacuum controls involved with the LS. Yes, a lot of Lincolns do it that way, but the LS does not.

This just gets more and more crazy. Clearly, you've never worked on one of these are taken one apart, yet you think you know more about it.

I guess temp blend door actuator does not control temp. If so sorry to waste everyone's time and forum space. I thought and so did others more familiar than I that blending cold and hot will provide warm air or temp wanted inside car. Other doors do send to windshield, floor, dash or combination of all. If wrong with this I apologize. I did not post with intention of spreading BULLSHIT. That may just be how conversation got off topic? It does seem to be waste of time and I agree. Allow all members look at facts available and decide if these doors do blend temps and direct or just direct air provided.
Sincerely,
wes b

Yes, it does on whatever car that diagram came from. It did not come from the LS, and that is not how the LS works.

But your "facts" are very wrong. You posted diagrams of the climate system for another car, not the LS. The LS is very different. Why can't you understand that?
Now, people will do a search and find the diagram you posted and assume that is is actually for an LS. It's not and it's just going to confuse them. Instead of replacing a $100 DCCV that is easy to get to, maybe they will give up on the repair since they will think that there is a temperature blend door and that the dash has to come off to replace it.
People on here complain about the design of the DCCV and the effort to replace it when it fails, but they've never had a Lincoln Town Car. The Town Car (most years anyway) does have a temperature blend door, and the whole dash has to come out to fix it. (And it does fail.)

Last edited:
Yes, it does on whatever car that diagram came from. It did not come from the LS, and that is not how the LS works.

But your "facts" are very wrong. You posted diagrams of the climate system for another car, not the LS. The LS is very different. Why can't you understand that?
Now, people will do a search and find the diagram you posted and assume that is is actually for an LS. It's not and it's just going to confuse them. Instead of replacing a $100 DCCV that is easy to get to, maybe they will give up on the repair since they will think that there is a temperature blend door and that the dash has to come off to replace it.
People on here complain about the design of the DCCV and the effort to replace it when it fails, but they've never had a Lincoln Town Car. The Town Car (most years anyway) does have a temperature blend door, and the whole dash has to come out to fix it. (And it does fail.)

Wes,
We are talking about a Lincoln LS here. Those diagrams are not for a Lincoln LS. Why don't you look under your dash (assuming that you have an LS)? You'll find it quite different. I guess that you don't even realize that there are not vacuum controls involved with the LS. Yes, a lot of Lincolns do it that way, but the LS does not.

This just gets more and more crazy. Clearly, you've never worked on one of these are taken one apart, yet you think you know more about it.[/QUOTE]
Joegr,
You are correct in that I sent drawing of LINCOLN NAVIGATOR and was posted in error not in deceit. My fault, and incorrect drawing added to post was not intended. I do apologize to all that saw that drawing and thought it was from LS also. I repeat it is from LINCOLN NAVIGATOR not an LS. I have read and was told person to person by experienced Ford Repair Technision specifically about the LS HVAC system by FoMoCo site stating that the LS does have both a pump system used in all Lincoln LS models and use a blend door for cabin air temp and distribution, I stand by what I said even if insults written to about my mechanical skills or any other comments. The tenor of your comments is hostile from beginning for no reason. If Lincoln printed wrong info then so be it. I am done with this post. wes b

Members online

No members online now.
Back