2003 Lincoln LS - Replaced Transmission

I dislike disinformation. Call that hostile if you like. You don't have to worry about it further (ignore list).

For anyone still reading this, the LS does not have a blend door for temperature control. It does, of course, have air doors for distribution. I don't just base this on what I have read or been told, but also on what I have done/explored/experienced on the LS.

That's one of two original colors on the CE. This is the best page that I've ever found that explains all about the Mark Viii Collector Edition: 1998 Collector's Edition
Pure enjoyment looking at all the lincoln marks. The Mark 2 was one I felt was a real one of a kind comming out in 1957 with big car styled like a large sports car. It had a huge mill. A doctor had one so I was able to see it up close. Seems all the collectors editions were produced in honor of the last run of that particular body style and year. I enjoyed seeing a orginal repair manual which I will buy . The production numbers were fascinating too. My 96 had the least cars made. The collectors car was worth the extra 2 thousand just for the unique model that sets it apart from all other and increases the re sale value in the years ahead. Thanks so much as I spent over 1 hour looking them all over. I do like the 77-709and the 80-83 since they look like mark 3. The 77-79 had a 302 v8 , very underpowered and did not deliver the gas millage buyers expected .

Where does this crap keep coming from?????
EASY JOE!!! It's obvious that some posters,,, don't know the difference between cracks in plastic parts of the heating/cooling ductwork... and WHICH parts belong to the cooling system. Take a step back... and read from the point of an inexperienced automobile owner!!! Obvoiously you've never worked in a "service bay"... or had to do "write ups" based on customer complaints.

For anyone still reading this, the LS does not have a blend door for temperature control. It does, of course, have air doors for distribution. I don't just base this on what I have read or been told, but also on what I have done/explored/experienced on the LS.

And I think this may be where WES is getting confused!!!

Wes... I suggest you start a separate thread,,, discussing your issues. This thead started out as a TRANSMISSION question... and has turned into a conflagrated mess. So again... I suggest you start a NEW thread discussing your own issues with your LS!!!

Dealers make profit on service and used cars. Not the high priced new iron. In service most profit is made on customer pay repairs Separate sight is done was good idea and opologies to other members straying from thread idea.

I'll agree... but most dealerships make more money on the used cars they sell... over the new ones. Either way,,, I think you need to start ANOTHER/DIFFERENT thread... based on the issues you are experiencing with YOUR LS.

I bought my '02 V8 new. I did a fluid change at about 90K+ miles. In '07 I started land speed racing and as part of the improving I did at that time, I re-programmed to raise transmission line pressure. I now have about 160K miles on the car. The engine is a bit on the tired side but starts and runs just fine even though part of the racing has included adding a system to use both methanol and nitrous oxide as additional fuel. including the fuel, the engine is set up to make about 400 horsepower.

The trans works just fine.

KS

Thanks for response on LS trans KS. Sounds like near same hear. 04 had sat two years (according to owners son) with no maintenance. Fluid looked OK and no record of any fluid change. I had filter and fluid changed ahead of 92,000. I have only changed size of tires a bit and easy install of KKM cold air intake that effect performance. The trans works great in 04 LS sport. A bit long lag between shifts in SST for me personally. Car is Lincoln
I also plan to ad SCT tuner and set up for performance to make use of local 93 octane gas that is sold as premium here anyway. I will discuss with Torrie but think the trans shift speed setting in SCT ad on tuner does what you stated in raising line pressure from manual PDF. Also is a fuel enrichment setting can be turned on. But have no idea as to actual figures at this time. The SCT will allow added timing over such as 1-3 degrees from idle up to 2,000, then 1-3 degrees added from 2-4,000 RPM and if want 1.3 degrees added from 4,000rpm up can do that also if I understand what I read correctly. Can set idle speed in neutral and in gear Another large reason for SCT ad on tuner is LS code reading ability. I bought what was told was higher end code reader. Told reader did much for $100.00+ but had second thoughts because from Harbor Freight and no experience with electronics. May work great -- but may not, so returned it. I do not wish to pay for code reader alone if one with SCT is good, and do not know if retail parts store free reading does good job or should say complete job. In any case from my personal experience the 2004 LS Sport transmission works great in drive and SST. Traction control does as stated in forward gears, not designed to work at all in reverse. Thanks again KS

I'll agree... but most dealerships make more money on the used cars they sell... over the new ones. Either way,,, I think you need to start ANOTHER/DIFFERENT thread... based on the issues you are experiencing with YOUR LS.
Correct, Never wanted thread to go sideways and be useless as it did. I hope to contribute in positive way.

I re-programmed to raise transmission line pressure.
Yeah.. this does wonders for the life of the tranny. Did this to my E4OD in my f150 years ago... and it's still doing fine at 205K miles. A little "snappy",,, but that's probably why most trans are "de-tuned" on line pressure. Most people don't like hard shifts.

I miss the days,,, when you could "mechanicallly" make an auto trans "semi brainless". Grab whatever gear you wanted at any speed, (as long as it was safely below redline). Fun to hear the rear tires "chirp" on a downshift. Made people look at your ride!!!

A bit long lag between shifts in SST for me personally.
Yeah... being electronic,,, the SST leaves something to be desired. You actually have to "anticipate when you need to shift. Hitting 7 grand and having the engine shut down on you... is NOT good on the timing chains or tensioners. I do my best to shift at 6K... that way it's grabbing the next gear by 6500.

Had 89 T Bird for few years and liked old MN12 style. Motor was dead horse if not turbo and mine was not. However amonst many things I wated money and effort on to make car run better was B&M shift improver kit. The AOD was not connected to electronically to engine in any way. and in 90 it was. So the shift improver actually made nice firm shift under firm throttle and was not bad under low throttle. Also put on B&M large rib trans pan. Added 1.5 quarts of fluid but better yet looked great under car. What is total waste of funds and foolish in retrospect is money wasted on changing converter. I went to 3200 stall speed with locking 4th gear. The V-6 was so wimpy it actually would not rev as high in gear (brake torque) as it did with stock V-6 converter. Plus spent funds on entire case of Royal purple fluid for converter and over sized trans pan. That was end of V-6 mods.

Yeah... being electronic,,, the SST leaves something to be desired. You actually have to "anticipate when you need to shift. Hitting 7 grand and having the engine shut down on you... is NOT good on the timing chains or tensioners. I do my best to shift at 6K... that way it's grabbing the next gear by 6500.

You have that dead on as have tried to shift at 62-6300 and it cut off on me. I cringed when engine cut off and just backed up to about 6000 as you said 04_Sport_LS.
Obviously you live in the "snow belt". :)

You have that dead on as have tried to shift at 62-6300 and it cut off on me. I cringed when engine cut off and just backed up to about 6000 as you said 04_Sport_LS

Raced a Dodge/Plymouth Neon in the past year. He surprised me!!! I Did eveything right... but still couldn't beat him. Didn't feel too bad since I could hear his wastegate "blowing off" every time he shifted. Not an average neon. We "saluted" each other as we turned opposite directions. I think I suprised him,,, as much as he surprised me.

'84 T-Birds were no slouch in their day! Especially in the right hands... with turbo. However the same Mustangs were actually a bit of a "dog". Mainly because the T-Bird had a better suspension... with less turbo lag.

The "shift inprover kit" was a GOOD thing... but i took a couple Mopars one step further. Again... the "semi brainless" tranny was alot of fun!!! Especially when you learned the redline shift points of the engine, (without the electronic lag)!!!

I would bet a turbo neon would run hard even stock and could be made faster fairly easy. Did you your LS run with Traction Control (Advance Trac) totally off ( brakes clamp on spinning tire and engine will reduce power quickly), was just partially engaged (engine will not reduce power but auto braking works) or did you have the Traction control in default (fully on)? I am (curious only) as have no idea if conditions would have made LS faster with or without Advance Trac. FYI I sold some new Chrysler line for few years during intro and upgrade of oil cooled turbo. I was out of car sales management by time Neon arrived but 5 speed Turbo FWD charger or was upgrade model called "Shelby Charger" I was told was common (customer owners) that light 2.2 SOHC 4cyl Turbo + 5 speed would kill auto Z-28 on street. So, when Chrysler went to larger 2.5 liter and put in Neon could see with it surprising lots of cars especially if had any upgrades. I did not get to drive or race any 86-88 Fox body T Bird Turbo Coupe's but heard nothing but good things about screaming 4 cylinder T-Bird. I think longer wheelbase did wonders for keeping car stable. For our 5 speed auto LS, I wonder if expensive (but nice) SCT-4 tuner I understand has adjustable shift quickness setting and ability to raise each shift point a bit and or RPM limiter would be wise at all. Thanks for sharing experience you had with Neon. I would have expected to win as well.

Advance Trac was off... but I eased into the throttle until about 2000 rpm to limit wheel spin. I could tell he was running a higher boost by the wastgate "popping off" when he shifted. If the LS didn't cut power off at 7K... but instead "floated/stuttered" the ignition or fuel,,, I may have been able to beat him. To me,,, it sounded like he never let off the throttle... but just banged the next gear, (manual trans). The Neon was "tricked out" that's for sure.

The Chrysler 2.2 Turbo was an underestimated engine in it's day. I had a LeBaron GTS (4 door),,, and beat a couple of Z-28's and other F body gm's. I embarrased the hell out of one Camaro that had a "built" engine. Mainly becase I got traction while the other guy was still spinning his wheels.

Not gonna get into the '81 Dodge mirada with a built 318 and 4.10 posi... or 78 Dodge Magnum 360, (car not truck)... with a semi brainless 727. Or the 74 Charger that never saw the 500HP 1957 354 Hemi. It was intended for oval track,,, but was stolen and stripped. The 302 Ford Maverick was a fun car too. Surprised many a 350 Camaro and Chevelle,,, or 454 Monte Carlo in its day. Maverick went like hell... and stopped like $h!t with 4 wheel drum brakes.

Always wanted a twin turbo Dodge stealth. Probably better I didn't get one. I most likely would be posting here today if I did. One of the reasons I don't own a Ford GT or Charger Hellcat, (if money weren't a factor).

Always wanted a twin turbo Dodge stealth. Probably better I didn't get one. I most likely would be posting here today if I did. One of the reasons I don't own a Ford GT or Charger Hellcat, (if money weren't a factor).
Same, I worked for short time for old friend from 1st job I had in freight transportation back when he started first trucking brokerage. (Perhaps we have gone too far off topic?) He brought in one son to work with me. Son once owned a AWD twin turbo Stealth that was monster in its time. He knew only it was fast and were to put gas in. Paid large for performance increases and ran car into ground. He had to sell and never could explain what problems were.
Would have liked to have driven that Stealth before was sold and actually stock with all its faults. The only personal drive or ride in stock Mitsubishi Turbo I test drove was a 5 speed manual Eagle Talon until my son bought his EVO 8. Talon was fast but far too small for legs and honestly too much turbo lag for today. That is about when my search for second RWD with IRS+IFS Ford Product began and now own sweet 2004 LS Sport.

Last edited:
I have had few faster cars but none as nice, fast, and good handling as LS sport. I am sorry Lincoln gave up so fast. Car business is tough and sure many folks at Lincoln would have loved to keep making rear drive and make it even better.

You have had serveral sweet old and fast cars. I recall a bare bones 5 speed 2.2 turbo GTS We had in Saginaw. I went to lunch after phone call from person on same, the caller came in within 15 minutes and bought the car then and there. Gal I worked with sold it. I am really glad tours ran as I thought they did. Thanks for sharing about your cars. Take care me friend. That was very special time to live where I lived. It is so much easier to get on and race at actual 1/4 mile track now. Had so many rules after car and insurance very few (not me) had money for run what you brung and all the rules. That is more on car owner now but changing back I have heard. My son ran high tens last summer and 11's for years before (said this before) in 3700LBS 834 HP at wheels on dyno car with no roll bar, scatter shield, firesuit, or any safety gear. Again am sorry so far off topic. Nice chat.

Members online

No members online now.
Back