Zephyr may get uprated 3.5L Duratec and AWD

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
According to the Auto Prophet (so far just a rumor), the Zephyr may be getting the 3.5L Duratec, which can be tuned to have anywhere between 240-270 HP. Also included will be AWD- should make it more competitive with the import cars.

Now if only they could improve the instrument panel...

mespock said:
I'd like to see a few more ponies and RWD!

Okay, I am tired of hearing "More Horsepower". If they put the 3.5 in it with AWD and primarily front wheel drive they will be right in there with who they are aiming for. Audi, Acura, NOT Cadillac. This thing would be awesome, think about it. A 3.5 mated to a 6 speed tranny, a rare thing, probably producing 260 hp to the wheels. then on top of that the handling of All wheel drive.

By the way, anyone who wants to put a V8 in this puppy is out of their mind!!!! It is a V6 sized car.

Everyone is complaining about RWD, Don't you guys realize with a little work on a AWD model you can disconnect the front wheels and have RWD? seen it done before on Subaru's dont see why it couldn't be done with Lincoln.

A nice V-6 pumping out 250-300HP would be nicer, IMO, than the dinky 210 HP put out by the base Duratec.

Sounds like the Zephyr will get a 3.5 L Duratec DOHC version, but only as an option! WTH, the Lincolns should get them standard. And the Lincolns won't get the uprated version until July of next year.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/index.php?showtopic=18331

"In some ways this is great news. The 3.5-liter Duratec engine is ready for the CD3 sedans next year. The 2007 versions of the Lincoln Zephyr, Mercury Milan and Ford Fusion will all have the 3.5 as optional engines. Now here’s the bad news: If Ford continues with these dates, the D3 Chicago cars: Five Hundred, Montego and Freestlye will not see a boost in horsepower until the 2008 model year when the cars get a face lift. Personally we feel the three vehicles are just about right for the 3.0-liter engine, but a higher-powered option would be welcomed. We just hoped it would happen before 2008."

I agree that a v6 is a good size for this car, and tuned a little it should be plenty. Hell, the v6 in the Nissan 350z puts out nearly 300 horses and it's a 3.5

Ford makes me so mad sometimes. Thier not worried about making power just worried about selling cars.

TownCar97 said:
You are out of your mind!

no i am not. i speak for all those people who would like to see a lincoln out perform all those imports and german luxo cars with high performance parts. but i know it will never happen, but it is just nice to think of the what if's!!! :L

Future Products: Ford Motor Co. -- Lincoln hoping luxury buyers will accept front-wheel drive platforms
AMY WILSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 8/15/05
DETROIT - The crux of Lincoln's comeback lies in two premium sedans with ties to Volvo.

Lincoln will introduce an entry-level front-drive sedan this fall, but the cars that could re-energize Lincoln as a true luxury player begin to arrive in 2007.

Lincoln's success depends on execution. The new cars must offer expressive styling, modern luxury appointments, technology advancements, a refined ride, sure-footed handling and V-8 power, industry analysts say.

But there is an element of risk in Lincoln's car strategy. While most luxury brands have touted rear-wheel drive, Lincoln's cars will be developed on front-drive platforms with available all-wheel drive. They are based on by Ford's fwd D3 platform, which originated at Volvo.

"Lincoln's success is really predicated on Ford being able to introduce new vehicles that are distinctive and provide the ride and handling and performance that one would expect in a luxury vehicle," says Erich Merkle, product analyst with IRN Inc., an automotive forecasting firm in Grand Rapids, Mich. "I think their efforts thus far have been subpar."

Lincoln's 'bull's-eye'

Lincoln officials acknowledge the existence of the two new premium sedans. But that's where the talking stops.

"We can't say much about them yet beyond that they will be the significant factor in redefining what Lincoln will be in the marketplace," Lincoln Mercury President Al Giombetti said in a prepared statement. "They are the bull's-eye of the work we've been undertaking the past couple of years."

The flagship sedans for Lincoln are long overdue, analysts and dealers say.

Lincoln discontinued the Continental in 2002. The aging Town Car, which rides on a platform dating to the 1970s, underwent minimal styling changes when it was re-engineered earlier this decade. The LS, though well-regarded upon its 1999 debut, also has languished.

During that period, Lincoln sales have fallen drastically. U.S. sales dropped from a high of 231,660 in 1990 when it relied totally on car sales to just 139,016 in 2004 with a mix of cars and trucks.

The first of the premium sedans, a mid-sized car scheduled to replace the LS, debuts for the 2008 model year. It will be followed by a larger sedan. While the timetable for that sedan is not final, that car could appear for the 2009 model year, sources say. This second vehicle could revive the storied Continental nameplate.

Both cars are expected to be assembled at Ford's Atlanta plant. Annual production of the two cars could approach 90,000, a source says.

The D3 platform also is the foundation of the Ford Five Hundred, Ford Freestyle and Mercury Montego. Those vehicles went on sale last fall.

More vehicles coming

The two premium Lincoln cars will offer awd and a V-8 engine, sources say. That engine likely is a variant of the Yamaha V-8 used in the Volvo XC90 sport wagon. Ford could set up North American production of that engine at its plant in Lima, Ohio, sources say.

The Lincoln line will add two other vehicles.

Lincoln will offer what Ford executives are calling a "people mover," a minivanlike vehicle developed from the D3 platform. It also is scheduled for assembly in Atlanta. While the timetable is not final, the vehicle likely will debut for the 2009 model year.

And this fall, the first of Lincoln's new models will arrive: the entry-level, V-6-powered 2006 Zephyr. The Zephyr, Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan were developed on a modified Mazda6 platform. The Zephyr shares 72 percent of its components with the Fusion.

As for the aging Town Car, Lincoln may keep the existing model beyond the debut of the new premium sedans, sources say. Why? It's profitable and the car has a strong following with senior citizens and the livery business.

not a lot of people are going to buy the AWD option. it is like what... another 7-10k just to add that option? no one is going to spend that much, maybe people who really really want it. then ford will see declined sales on the AWD, and then lose money like they did bringing back the t-bird... ford should of made that car FWD, with the option of AWD, and it still would not of sold well. they are just gone crazy with this fuel saving BS! you have a V8 yeah it is going to suck gas, so what that is what you get for buying a V8 with a 7.7L engine(figure of speach here). i do not care if my car is thristy i am going to feed the beast.

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
not a lot of people are going to buy the AWD option. it is like what... another 7-10k just to add that option? no one is going to spend that much, maybe people who really really want it. then ford will see declined sales on the AWD, and then lose money like they did bringing back the t-bird... ford should of made that car FWD, with the option of AWD, and it still would not of sold well. they are just gone crazy with this fuel saving BS! you have a V8 yeah it is going to suck gas, so what that is what you get for buying a V8 with a 7.7L engine(figure of speach here). i do not care if my car is thristy i am going to feed the beast.

Actually, if you were wondering how much the AWD option would cost, it will be more like 2-2.5k. Significantly less than your exageration. But, I am a bit upset with the loss of the rear wheel drive.

On the Ford Five Hundred the AWD option only adds $1800 exactly so I cant imagine it being much over that on the zephyr

who cares, it should be rwd first, and then awd. the punk engine they are putting into it is ridiculous. Why is putting a v8 in the car crazy?? It could be a performance version to compete with the likes of Audi s4, cts-v, c55, and the new m3. Who are you kidding, if they don't start thinking like the germans soon, the will end up like the third reich. 260 should be a minimum hp.

I agree it should be rwd, and putting a v8 is crazy because look at the fusion and milan they aren't sports cars. I don't know how well a V8 would even fit in the engine compartment, and just fyi the M3 is a Inline 6 not a V8. with these being smaller cars they might be popular with "Tuners" and there could be a fair amount of mods available mostly for the fusion if any come out probably but they would still work on the zephyr

check your facts, the new m3 will have a v8, and dinan has been putting v8's into old 3 series for years. It's possible, pausible, and needed if lincoln wants to stay afloat. Lincoln should aim for first place and should try to grind the competition to the ground. That's what AMerica is about, being number one. They hsould just build the fastest, best handling car, letting the old image die, so that they can build a new one. It may be expensive at first, but spending the money now will help make money in the future. You can't just have a good looking car that's all bark and no bite. And tuner mods are no good for profit for Ford. No profit for ford means no cars for us ford guys. It's simple math. American car copmany execs live in the '60's back when they held the marketplace, which they don't anymore. They may sell more trucks, but car sales are dwindling every day. Having to sell cars at employee prices is just ridiculous. Germany and Japan are laughing all the way to the bank, and it makes me mad because I want to be proud of my countries cars.

I did not know you ment the 2006 M3 I thought you was talking about the 05 model

I think I read somewhere that Volvo is developing a 250-hp V-5 or V-6 which would probably go into the Zephyr.. I would find it hard to believe if they stuck around with the low hp Duratec for subsequent years....

I'm sadened to see that Ford has sold Lincoln down the river with FWD based platforms. I would much rather see them develop a world class RWD (with AWD capability) platform for Lincoln and high end Mercurys and Fords. Something comparable to the Chrysler 300. However that doesn't appear to be the case. FWD for an entry level Acura fighter is fine, but for anything bigger it just sucks. I know, I know some of you don't care and don't think anyone else should either, however Cadillac sold nothing but FWD cars for sometime. Even though they claimed them to be on par with BMW and Mercedes over and over again nobody believed them except GM execs and old people. The Town Car harkins back to the 70's when american luxury meant just taking an existing platform and loading it with all the bells and whistles. Some buyers still believe this, and at least one model should be kept for that niche, thus I agree with keeping the Town Car like it is. The LS or replacement should be different though, as should a resurrected Continental. If Ford made such a Continental (about the size of a 300, with RWD and AWD optional, with serious drivelines, and suicide doors.) it would steal a lot of 300 buyers. Sorry for the rant, back to the Zephyr I think a 3.5 and AWD would make this little Lincoln a great car, after all it is beautifully designed, something Licoln has always done better than Caddy. A 6speed would be appreciated too, one thing I hated about the LS was that there was no optional stick except on the V6 models. Only thing I can hope for is that Licoln's claims that despite a transverse FWD style lay-out the new Licolns will have a RWD bias.

Ford did consider rear wheel drive platforms for an entry level Lincoln, but the cost of development was simply too expensive.

Since the CD3 platform was so well received by the press and the buying public (think Zoom-Zoom), it made perfect sense to base the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr on it.

And when you consider that the Audi, Volvo, and Acura's are all-front-wheel drive (with all-wheel-drive options on some of their models) it, the idea wasn't so lame.

Simply put, Ford needed an entry level $30-$35K entry level sedan to compete with the likes of Acura and Lexus. There was talk two-three years ago about a shortened version of the LS to compete with Lexus and BMW. But it was impossible to build at price point Ford needed to achieve.

Based on the options Ford had, this was the most realistic in terms of engineering, cost savings and long term strategy.

Ford recently made a decision to keep Mercury up and running, which, IMO, is a terrible idea. They should just get rid of the Mercury division, and concentrate on Lincoln and Ford.

kill mercury, sell jaguar and ask cadillac about performance.

there is no reason to offer 3 different crown victorias and 3 different fusions.

i love the styling of the 03+ town car, i think it is sexy as hell. and then i look at the new crown vics. and i cant help but think " so the town victoria is HOW much more than its counter part?"

the other day i was at chicken express and the girl that game out to get my order was asking me about my car and said " yeah, my boyfriend is wanting something like this, its a crown victoria right?" my car looks NOTHING like a :q:q:q:qin crown vic. pissed me off.

i think my next car will be an 04 or 05 dhs.

but until then, i still love my 99 tc.

Members online

No members online now.
Back