Yous guys with aftermarket wheels.....

LS4me

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any vibration/shimmy? I've had nothing but trouble with the MB Wheels I got from Discount Tire a few years ago. They aren't bent, they've done this from day 1. I have also tried hub-centric rings in numerous sizes. The best seem to be 73mm X 63.36mm. That size at least gives me the smoothest ride. The shimmy is gone most of the time.....

I'm so frustrated that I'm seriously considering going back to the stock wheel.

Thanks.

I have the 18" Stern wheels with no hubcentric rings. I'll have a shimmy/vibration at times, but it's not consistent...which is weird. You would think if it was the rims it would do it all of the time, but who knows.

Like today I drove 17 miles to work at about 70 mph and the car was as smooth as glass, but I may go home this afternoon and get a slight vibration as low as 50 mph. Mine may be the front bearing hubs though.

No issues on aftermarket wheels. I also have a set of MB wheels on another vehicle that I have had no issues with. I would suspect the balancing of them first.

Have you ever had then balance? They might not have baan balance right at Discounttire.com. Try having them balanced. Cost you $5-$10 a wheel. It would be worth it. Good balance tire will last longer.

Have you ever had then balance? They might not have baan balance right at Discounttire.com. Try having them balanced. Cost you $5-$10 a wheel. It would be worth it. Good balance tire will last longer.

Actually the tires and balance are from Costco. Maybe I'll have them rebalanced when they reopen our Costco.

Same issue here use the link above and spend the extra cash on a road forced balance. I did that and it fixed my issues.

My aftermarkets are smooth and straight - no shimmies in my rimmies (sorry, couldn't come up with anything for wheels)

have you checked your tie rod end and ball joints?

I seriously doubt they would fail at 35K miles. It was fine until I installed this set of wheels which is why I'm thinking of going back to stock. I had a balance done yet again yesterday, but they said the balance was already good. It seems to be riding much smoother today.

wow that is some nice low miles fella, so you're right probably not. Kinda has me wondering if there is a bad belt in one of the tires?

wow that is some nice low miles fella, so you're right probably not. Kinda has me wondering if there is a bad belt in one of the tires?

Well.... It's an '06 with (now) 74K miles. I put on ~20K per year. On the other hand, my wife's '06 has ~54K miles.

Balance and Vibration

I bought Verde Kaos 18" wheels from Discount and had them wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport P2s. They put in plastic centering rings as part of the installation. I'm on my second set of tires on those wheels and never have had any vibration problems. I've had it over 150 MPH.

By the way, 'Yous' is misspelled. It's actually 'Youse':D

KS

Members online

Back