You Guys Are Gonna Love This

CT Swagger

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I bring my LS to the dealer this morning to get a diagnostics check and an oil change...
They tell me there a vaccum leak prolly needs PCV hose assy. Thats fine..

So I get home from the dealer and try to open the door to get out.. wont open.. I go WTF!
Some how the dealer broke my interior door handle and it wont open.. can u believe these fcukN guys.. I called back about that and they down played the whole thing and said to bring it back in the morning.. I cant wait to chew these guys out at the dealer.

So I bring my LS to the dealer this morning to get a diagnostics check and an oil change...

So I get home from the dealer and try to open the door to get out.. wont open.. I go WTF!
Some how the dealer broke my interior door handle and it wont open.. can u believe these fcukN guys.. I called back about that and they down played the whole thing and said to bring it back in the morning.. I cant wait to chew these guys out at the dealer.
I have been kinda nosey at the dealer to see how it operates. At mine, some "guy" pulls the car out of the service intake area and pulls into the service area. Then after its fixed it goes to the car wash guys and gets cleaned. It then goes to the storage area around back until you come to pick it up. Then another guy brings it back around for you. There are alot of various people getting in and out of your car at every dealer visit and thus alot of potential for one of those poeple to break something. The same guy i see driving my car around back is the same guy i see sweeping around the place. I could count atleast 5 different people at my last visit.

Then another guy brings it back around for you. There are alot of various people getting in and out of your car at every dealer visit and thus alot of potential for one of those poeple to break something. The same guy i see driving my car around back is the same guy i see sweeping around the place. I could count atleast 5 different people at my last visit.

True. I'm not gonna repeat what he just said.

So I went back to the dealer and they said "its not our fault it a 2000 with 100,000 on it.. things break".. So I called my old man who is an attorney and hes dealing with these crown now..
Its sad that the actual dealer would break sometime and not report it.. Id expect this from a small garage..

So I went back to the dealer and they said "its not our fault it a 2000 with 100,000 on it.. things break".. So I called my old man who is an attorney and hes dealing with these crown now..
Its sad that the actual dealer would break sometime and not report it.. Id expect this from a small garage..
Sounds like someone is just trying to keep their job. But if they did break it how did the "pull around guy" get out of the car at the dealer?

Swagger, which dealer in CT is this?

This is a common problem with our cars and yes at 100,000 miles things break. So I would not go nuclear with the dealer.

From what I have read on this site, the door handles are on a cable which actuates the locking mechanism. Over time the cable stretches and or breaks and then the door does not open from the inside.

So more than likely some unlucky guy at the dealer was the one the cable popped on. Was going to happen sooner or later and it is a bit unfair to jump all over the dealer. The complaint I would have is, "why didn't the technician make note that the cable finally broke". This might get you a more cooperative dealer and maybe a free repair when it is most likely not their fault. And like the other guy said, how did the pull around guy get out? Maybe the cable popped while you drove it, eh? Can't blame them for that.

If the car was new, I would beach and expect it to be covered under warranty, but with that many miles some things are gonna break.

My experience is that you can have nuclear melt downs at the dealer, the ones in a show room with prospective customers really get fast action. But if you do too many for petty reasons, you will discover that your car is late and the repairs may cost more than you hoped. I find if you make it known to the service manager that something is wrong, and you work with them, you get better results, most of the time. It also helps if you subtly let him know that you know abit about mechanical work and can talk intelligently about what you think is wrong, but don't be a "know it all".

Main thing is be fair and understand what is normal wear and tear and what isn't.

Just my opinion,

Jim Henderson

haha, a well timed meltdown could clear a showroom for sure.

But what are the odds of the cable finally snapping after 100k miles and God knows how many openings/closings the one time Swagger isn't in the driver seat, though?
I'm not saying it's a BS theory, simply that it's sh itty luck for the guy who drove it up, and maybe someone at the dealership tweaked it somehow. I have a friend whose a notorious door slammer, and I have to constantly threaten him ever time he gets in and out of my car lol

Some people yank harder. I had an aunt that drove me nuts years ago pulling and pulling on door handles that did not pop open the door until the lock was manually pulled up. YOu could almost see the cable stretching as the handle was yanked on repeatedly.

So yeah the pull around guy might pull on the handle like baby godzilla. Or the last pull was the straw that broke the camels back.

Always makes me cringe when I see people slam hoods, doors, yank handles, or like my wife, snap off keys on a yearly basis.

And yeah I did the show room melt down once when I had a 79 TA that was in the shop all the time for mostly trim details and mechanic goofs. The prospective customers left and I got the car fixed right from then on and never had to yell at the dealer again. The key I think is that your problem has to be significant or a bunch of PITA ones in a pile. And you can't cry wolf every time.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Sounds like someone is just trying to keep their job. But if they did break it how did the "pull around guy" get out of the car at the dealer?

He must have climbed over the seat and got out the Passenger side.. cause I also noticed that the e-brake was down.. I also asked around and there’s 3 dealers within 10 miles from me and the one I went to is notorious for having problems.. It was Torrington Ford Lincoln Mercury..

The Idiots at my shop..Haldeman ford..busted my ahstray, busted my center console, and smoked a ciggar in it....not a blunt but a ciggar. My car was nnever smoked in...well except blunts but I noticed it in the ash tray..all the ahs that is.

And man when you have to get an Attorny on them they go nuts kissing ass big time. I allmost got the Lemon Law to back me up cause the dumbass's where letting my warranty run up on me before fixing the car but I lost the last invoice makeing it the 3rd attempt.

That handle breaking is a common problem and a cheap fix. The dealer should take care of it at no charge, in the interest of customer relations; after all, they did break it. The service department "experience" is the single-most important factor influencing a customer's decision to purchase again from a given dealership. They should keep that in mind.

yeah I would figure that in order to keep your business they would do the right thing and say ok we broke it we will fix it sorry... get it done and thats it.

I have had 2 of mine break, maybe not the same problem though. My door latch assembly actually broke. Couldnt open it from inside or out. They are far from cheap. Until 8 or so months ago, they were nearly 400.00 bucks a pop. The last one that broke cost me around 160. Total pain in the ass to remove when you cant open the door, take off the panel, or remove the handle. Ive done it, and if it happens to you, I feel sorry.

broken ashtray

look at what this cop, i mean police officer, did to my ashtray. now its broken, when i push it in the dash the ashtray doesn't open back up with out prying it open, and when the ashtray is shut its got this huge crack around it. before the po ran through it, it use to shut and look so nice, now its an eye sore when its shut. got one of these priced, i need the entire ash tray assembly, and its 100 bucks. god knows how much it costs to have it put in.

btw sorry for the pic quality again

IMAGE_005.jpg

look at what this cop, i mean police officer, did to my ashtray. now its broken, when i push it in the dash the ashtray doesn't open back up with out prying it open, and when the ashtray is shut its got this huge crack around it. before the po ran through it, it use to shut and look so nice, now its an eye sore when its shut. got one of these priced, i need the entire ash tray assembly, and its 100 bucks. god knows how much it costs to have it put in.

btw sorry for the pic quality again

Did they find anything on your person or in your car?

If not, file a complaint and request for reimbursement for damage. They have to cover it. Just make sure you have some reputable people to back up your claim that it was not like that before (middle to late aged, clean record type people).

If they did find anything on your person or in your car... well, too bad for you; lucky they didn't do a property seizure. You're entitled to nothing.

Anyway, good luck

Did they find anything on your person or in your car?

If not, file a complaint and request for reimbursement for damage. They have to cover it. Just make sure you have some reputable people to back up your claim that it was not like that before (middle to late aged, clean record type people).

If they did find anything on your person or in your car... well, too bad for you; lucky they didn't do a property seizure. You're entitled to nothing.

Anyway, good luck

didn't even get a traffic violation. walked away clean after an hour of standing in the rain. i would never go to court over the ashtray if thats what u mean. i already called up the police department and left feedback on the officer. i figured well 100 dollar ashtray is better to have to pay for tickets and having to go to court

Its the :q:q:q:qy ashtray, not that I like Cops I hate them more then any but it was bound to happen. The dealership did that to mine after fixing my sst wiring harness. They gave me the same qutoe and said, we didnt do it.They also busted up my car phone compartments latch and somehow finally the just broke almost the whole damn thing off.

No, you don't have to go to court for it; they have to cover any damage they do during a search that doesn't net any results. I'm just giving you your options. I figured if it bothered you enough to post it on here, you might want to take the steps to have the department reimburse you for the damage one of their officers caused.

i would make them PAY for it, although they may take their time with the car and all, before i bought my ls i took my s10 for service to a local ford dealer and i saw the pull around guy rip-off my roll pan, when i confronted the idiot he says it was like that i went bananas. the manager was of course not around, they did tried to repair it bu no way it was happening, the next they i just showed and he kinda refuse to speak to me until i mention the word attorney and then all he asked was for an estimate and wrote off a check. never when back...

So I got the window fixed fixed new motor and everything with the door handle for $360.. They gave me a break on the labor charges.. I dont think im goin back to those clowns..

Wait! was the window beeing busted ( the motor) what caused the door handle to jam and break as well?

Members online

Back