Yet another transmission problem...

EG_LS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Lincoln LS and just changed the solenoid pack and transmission filter because it was delaying when I would put it into drive. Reverse works perfectly fine but now when I put it into drive it engages but has almost no power. It drives even gets up to 40 MPH but to get it to start rolling I have to give it a lot of gas. At about 1.5k RPM it starts to move. The CEL is on along with "Check Transmission" and "E." It didn't have any of this before I changed the solenoid. Any ideas, things I should double check?

When I refilled the transmission I put in 5 quarts. The point in which the car began to move was at a higher RPM, not too sure where, I didn't pay attention. I put in another quart this morning and it seemed to work better, could it be that I need more? How much transmission fluid comes out with a filter and solenoid change? I've read 5.5, 3 - 5, and even 8. I also read though that it won't explain why the "E" and "Check Transmission" came on. Could it possible that I need to get the PCM flashed?

Last edited:
Pull codes...and stop driving it.

It could need more fluid, but it could also be overfilled at this point as well.

Did you replace the solenoid block with a brand new one? Are you sure that you got the connector securely bolted back down on there?

It's an 11 quart pan so chances are its probably very low on fluid... Stop driving and spend the extra money and take it to am actual Lincoln dealership, they know a :q:q:q:qton more than any other place

It could need more fluid, but it could also be overfilled at this point as well.

Yes, you need to correctly check the fluid level and add or subtract till full, not blindly add fluid.

Are you sure that you got the connector securely bolted back down on there?

That was it, I feel very stupid now :( Thank you. The CEL, "E," and "Check Transmission" came back on with the car running perfectly but I disconnected the battery gave it another 5 mile drive and nothing came back on.

It's an 11 quart pan so chances are its probably very low on fluid... Stop driving and spend the extra money and take it to am actual Lincoln dealership, they know a :q:q:q:qton more than any other place

Not always the case(about the dealership).

The pan itself does not hold that much fluid.

That was it, I feel very stupid now :( Thank you. The CEL, "E," and "Check Transmission" came back on with the car running perfectly but I disconnected the battery gave it another 5 mile drive and nothing came back on.
Do not feel bad, that connector is a royal bugger to mess with. The first time I pulled that connector, I spent probably 45 minutes messing with it. By the time you get around to reinstalling it, your hand cramps and you get it on to the point where you figure it must be on far enough...and you end up in the same situation I did, crawling back under there to spend another ten minutes barely tightening the damn thing until it is snug. :cool:

If you ever have to do it again, get a ratcheting 10mm wrench and cut it down to 2½ - 3". It makes that bolt almost easy to get off.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one, I was using one of those small 10mm combination wrenches about 4", I'll definitely get some ratcheting wrenches for next time.

2000 Lincol LS transmission

Hello everyone,
I have 2000 Lincoln LS automatic transmission, my transmission change the gear very smooth but when put to R or D it's jerk too hard and there is clunk on the bottom so anyone here has same my problem and what should I do? One thing is no warning light comes on and gear change very smooth from 1st-5th even I sudden accelerate the gas the gear respond right away smooth too. It's bother me when put to R or D form P and D to R or R to D it's jerk too hard. Please, help me an idea to figure out.
Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone,
I have 2000 Lincoln LS automatic transmission, my transmission change the gear very smooth but when put to R or D it's jerk too hard and there is clunk on the bottom so anyone here has same my problem and what should I do? One thing is no warning light comes on and gear change very smooth from 1st-5th even I sudden accelerate the gas the gear respond right away smooth too. It's bother me when put to R or D form P and D to R or R to D it's jerk too hard. Please, help me an idea to figure out.
Thanks a lot

9 out of 10 times, a harsh engagement from R to D or P is due to a faulty solenoid body.

Members online

Back