Yet another overheating problem

Maxx

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How many times and ways can this happen on these cars? Now what it does is, when you first start out for the day, I hear the fan come on and the temp gauge rises, pull over, kill it, wait five minutes, re start engine, fan quits and temp goes back to normal, and go on without a problem. Thermostat sticking?

What year and engine? My '03 seems to ruin the thermostat every time the engine overheats regardless of the cause. I'm on my third themostat in the last 5 years.

it only takes a very small amount of air trapped in the system to cause a overheating problem. there are many parts that will fail or crack that can cause air to be allowed in to the system. then there are the failing fan actuator on 1st gens. plus many more things that could cause it, but those are the ones that i would start with first.

2004 V8, just had the thermostat and outlet replaced.

2004 V8, just had the thermostat and outlet replaced.

well if your outlet pipe needed replacement, then it highly likely that you have more parts that need to be replaced. as they are all made of the same material, they all have the same life span and tend to fail around the same time.

well if your outlet pipe needed replacement, then it highly likely that you have more parts that need to be replaced. as they are all made of the same material, they all have the same life span and tend to fail around the same time.

I wonder which it is?

a. Nobody searches or reads any of the threads about their problem.

-or-

b. Everybody believes they are the exception to all the other cases where symptom A requires action B.

Yeah Joe, I feel your pain however

if it is that much trouble, don't get involved. That is what I tell people when they call me for help and then don't want anyone to know it was them who called. Nature of my business.

if it is that much trouble, don't get involved. That is what I tell people when they call me for help and then don't want anyone to know it was them who called. Nature of my business.

It wasn't so much directed at you as it was several others. I even talk to some that try all sorts of things to fix the problem, but just refuse to believe that it is cracked plastic and won't even look.

originally

the thermostat came apart and punched a hole in the plastic outlet, then one of the brass inserts came out of the intake while replaceing the outlet. Got it fixed and it ran good for about a month, and now this. When I open the fill bottle, it is under pressure so I dont think there is a crack there.

you see, at first he wasn't so much talking directly to you, ^^^ now he is because that is exactly how every single one of these threads go,

1 somebody has overheating problem
2 somebody replaces piece of plastic that broke
3 car runs perfectly fine for some "unusually" short amount of time
4 car starts over heating again
5 go online, and ask a question with out searching to even the other threads from with in a week about the same symptoms.
6 get cranky when told about how problem is so common even the simplest of searches would yeild so many answers that even the questions you didn't even know to ask have been covered
7 wash, rinse, repeat.

a leak small enough to cause problems can still build plenty of pressure.

your thermostat didn't just "come apart" the plastic has gotten so brittle and weak, it couldn't hold the spring pressure of the Tstat together anymore, it just crumbled away. every single piece of plastic in the cooling system is the same way, one by one the pieces will fail and break down. in the two days you have been trying to figure this out, have you at least gone and closely inspected all of the parts to even see if there is evidence of a leak, have you tried bleeding the system to see even if the problem has to do with any air at all being in the system? both free things that only you can test for the internet to give real data in an effort to get people not to just have to throw out wild guesses.

it is also advisable that you discontinue the practice of opening the fill bottle while it is under pressure.

If by inspecting for leaks you mean is there any on the ground while running, no there is not. Your condescending tone pretty much rules out taking you seriously. Not all of us are 18 or mechanics. I for one am probably old enough to be your dad, and a cop since 1978. I am not now, nor have I ever had an interest in mechanics. I like this car, I pay to get it fixed when needed, and am personally tired of dealing with over heating. I paid to have it fixed, it is overheating again. Maybe you are used to paying for the same service over and over, I am not. When I pay for something like this I expect it to be resolved.

If by inspecting for leaks you mean is there any on the ground while running, no there is not.
no, as mentioned in many of the other threads about the same problem (i can see you still haven't search very much about this problem as hinted at)

if it was leaking enough to see dripping on the ground and you still though you didnt have a leak, we all would just laugh it off and wouldn't even offer any help. once there is a super small leak that isnt really big enough to let tons of water out, just big enough to let some air in and cause problems. the easiest way to find the leak is to look closely at the pipes, they should be black, but where there is a leak will be some white residue from the coolant. "evidence of a leak"

the biggest reason any of us that have been around for a little bit (your not really a new member) tell all of the new people to do a little damn searching, is because we are tired of typing out the exact same long reply about these problems that have been covered many many times every single week, especially when somebody links a really good thread on your biggest possibility of whats wrong with your car.

Your condescending tone pretty much rules out taking you seriously.
well bud, that is your choice, but them again if you really are tired of your car overheating, and you actually want to get it fixed, you can either listen to what others and I tell you, or you can continue on the way you are going now and see how it goes.

Not all of us are 18 or mechanics.
your right, Im not 18 nor a mechanic, but i do understand how a wrench works and I am very capable of following simple directions with pretty pictures that many people have linked to on this very same repair.

I pay to get it fixed when needed, and am personally tired of dealing with over heating.
well, you really only have two choices from here on out, since you fixing it yourself is out of the question, you can either pay somebody to fix it again, and if it is another leak, then you can just replace the part that is bad and wait around for the next piece to break and then start it all over again OR you can listen to what just about everybody that has ever had this problem has had to do, and which was replace more parts that could be breaking down very soon as well and then not have to deal with it again. whether you listen to me or somebody else, your the one with a problem to fix.

I paid to have it fixed, it is overheating again.
the pobably cause to this has been discussed earlier in this thread, even before i broke out my condescending voice and you stopped taking everything i said seriously.

Maybe you are used to paying for the same service over and over, I am not.
no, I dont. when i have a problem, i tend to do a lot of research to figure out what my problem is and what i have to do to fix it. then i fix it.

When I pay for something like this I expect it to be resolved.
well not only should it be resolved, but you've been told what needs to be done to have it resolved, balls in your court.

If by inspecting for leaks you mean is there any on the ground while running, no there is not. Your condescending tone pretty much rules out taking you seriously. Not all of us are 18 or mechanics. I for one am probably old enough to be your dad, and a cop since 1978. I am not now, nor have I ever had an interest in mechanics. I like this car, I pay to get it fixed when needed, and am personally tired of dealing with over heating. I paid to have it fixed, it is overheating again. Maybe you are used to paying for the same service over and over, I am not. When I pay for something like this I expect it to be resolved.

So, if you would actually read some of the many threads on this, you'd see that they mostly go the same way.

We say they have cracked plastic.
They say they don't have any leaks because there's no coolant on the ground.
There's more back and forth argument about it.
Finally, they replace the plastic and the problem is solved.

Usually, the cracks are small to begin with, so you won't see the leaks. If you are experienced with it, you can spot the coolant residue at the leak sites. Since you are clearly not experienced with this, you will just have to replace all the plastic parts that are likely to be cracked. As it turns out, this is what you need to do anyway. Once one piece cracks, the rest will follow in a few months or less.

I can't speak for 1LoudLS, but you are not old enough to be my father. Age isn't that important anyway. I've met very young that were very mature, and very old that were very immature.

I am not a mechanic. I am an engineer. By nature I am a problem solver. If a problem comes up that I don't know about, I research and learn about it.

I do most of my own car repairs (and house repairs, and so on...) because I don't like to pay twice for the same repair or to have something else broken in the process. Also, I actually enjoy it for the most part.

So, if you would actually read some of the many threads on this, you'd see that they mostly go the same way.

We say they have cracked plastic.
They say they don't have any leaks because there's no coolant on the ground.
There's more back and forth argument about it.
Finally, they replace the plastic and the problem is solved.

Usually, the cracks are small to begin with, so you won't see the leaks. If you are experienced with it, you can spot the coolant residue at the leak sites. Since you are clearly not experienced with this, you will just have to replace all the plastic parts that are likely to be cracked. As it turns out, this is what you need to do anyway. Once one piece cracks, the rest will follow in a few months or less.

I can't speak for 1LoudLS, but you are not old enough to be my father. Age isn't that important anyway. I've met very young that were very mature, and very old that were very immature.

I am not a mechanic. I am an engineer. By nature I am a problem solver. If a problem comes up that I don't know about, I research and learn about it.

I do most of my own car repairs (and house repairs, and so on...) because I don't like to pay twice for the same repair or to have something else broken in the process. Also, I actually enjoy it for the most part.

Amen

Ok, so, if you are tired of answering because of what ever reason, why not just ignore it and go on? If I don't want to do something like answer a question that I have seen a million times, it's easy, I just don't answer it. For you problem solvers, it couldn't get any easier than that could it?

two reasons really

first, we actually did offer help first, then you got an attitude about it.

now more importantly, every time you create and extra thread about something that has been covered in depth and as ofter as this, you are actually doing yourself a disservice by clogging up the search results with duplicate threads with missing parts or incorrect information.

not to mention, if we all followed your advise, everybody that knew what was really going and had the solution wouldn't bother to comment and give you the help you needed because they would be burned out from repeatedly typing out, the same long explanation over and over. then you would just get parroted back what someone read once maybe a long time ago, lets hope all that second or third hand knowledge stays accurate. all because some people cant handle looking around a little bit and actually learn a few things for themselves.

Members online

No members online now.
Back