yet another newbie question: i think i triggered the anti-theft system

67Continental

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So last night, I went out to start my car, and for some reason i turned the key quickly, then stopped to get something in the back seat. After that, when I would turn the key the engine would turn over again and again, but not catch - exactly as if it was not getting any fuel. this went on for almost 10 minutes, then i "caught it by surprise" and it caught right away. How does the anti-theft on a 94 work? does this sound plausible?

FWIW the anti-theft system trigger is a relay cutout to the starter solenoid. It will not crank at all if the anti-theft is tripped.

Next time, turn key off, turn key on(do not crank), count to three, repeat five times. Then hold your tip of your tongue in the left corner of pursed lips as you make a frown while you start the car as normal. :waving: If it works, you're loosing fuel pressure somewhere.

It is possible that you have either the crank, or the cam sensor going bad. No one has really proven which one it is that usually goes bad. Some have luck replacing one and not the other, but when they are both together from Max at 5 Star Ford (1-800-86601520 ext. 236) only $60-70 I do not see a reason for not replacing both.

Like driller said with the anti-theft module it would not crank at all.

Crank sensor - 1W7Z-6C315-AB
Cam sensor - 1W7Z-6B288-AB

Just make sure that if you order those parts that the part numbers I gave you are the correct ones for your car. If they are not, could you email the numbers to me so i can update my part numbers website.
:Beer

MY sugestion is; if you happen to have a secondary alarm, or dont nessissarly care about the alarm going off in general, just lock the car by the lock sticks on the door. This will not activate the alarm. I had sooooo many problems with oversensitvity with my alarm, and i didnt want to pay for a diognostic, or new parts...so thats how i delt with the problem.

Members online

Back