Yet another, airbag, steering wheel controls thread...

geniusanthony

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking on here for ages, In fact this is my first post ever on this board.

Brief intro, I'm 31 bought a 2001 LSV8 like 5 years ago, Chrome TSW 18s and ghost flames on the front. I don't have any recent pics but I will find one since everyone loves em. The car is great, good power, only went through one coil pack thus far, but the check engine light recently came on so I will deal with that later. code 420 left bank catalyst. This thread isn't about that though.

What this thread is my dash being lit up like a f'in Christmas tree. Check engine:yes, traction: yes ( cause the switch is unplugged while I work on #3)
Airbag:yes. For some time my radio buttons were wonky and my radio backlighting was iintermittent. of note was this, If I was driving the car around alot in a day, eventually the radio buttons would work properly at the same time and only the same time as the radio backlight. Cruise worked identical to the radio controls, intermittent in time with the backlighting of the radio.

Do to this I replaced the clockspring and no change. About the same time I also started working on the SRS light which was previously lit as well. When I started working on it it had a code 3-6. I know what those are.. driver airbag short, low and high resistance. I did the PP tests, everything passed to the best of my ability. I did find the broken grn/red wire at plug 367(the yellow one) under the driver seat. Repaired the break, all that was left was to swap the Restaint Control Module(RCM). I pulled the RCM out of the car checked all the wiring except where molded into the carpet for those two feet but nothing looked obviously damaged. On the next power up the code changed from a 36 to a 21(bad rcm ground) I didn't reground it again based on the PP tests if everything passes, the only thing left is to replace the RCM. I pulled the module today from a junked 2000 model that had not been in a airbag deploying crash, put it in, grounded it and now the light is on solid. The fuse is back in, but it is just a solid SRS light on the dash. No flashes after 6 sec. just on..

At this point I really don't wanna let the car win and take it too the dealer anyway. Still need to have the hobby shop put the code reader on it. I have a feeling that I need to have some programming done to tie the modules in to one another.

I am near DC if anyone else is nearby.

I spose you're right about the lack of question.
Is my reasoning sound in the troubleshooting, did I miss anything?
Got any links or ever heard of the radio backlight thing?
Do I need to have the dealer reprogram the car for the new module to work right?
When I wash it, I will get some good pics.

I find it very convenient that no one has even chanced into the problem of what is left to repair?
Could it be a bad clockspring?

When you see fairly detailed posts like this with no replies, it generally means folks are stumped. Personally, I'm surprised Joe hasn't swept to the rescue with a weirdly amazing analysis.
Clockspring has always been the culprit with something like this. Now, you said you replaced it - assume with a new one - so unless the job didn't go well or the part was bad, that ain't it. That just leaves some cabling that might be common.

In any case, what you've got is certainly unique. Next steps are the traditional ones - start checking all the wiring to look for breaks, or maybe even re-re-do the clockspring.

When you replaced it the light didn't go out.. most likely not the clockspring..

Check for breaks in the wires like said..

Fixed, when I disassembled the yellow connector to resolder it I had broken the little red tabs inside it which releases the grounding bar. Bought a new connector to the tune of 56 dollars and airbag light is no more.

That just leaves the finicky radio controls/intermittent back lighting. Without waiting 10 days for a manual to arrive, anyone got wiring diagrams in PDF?

Members online

No members online now.
Back