yet aNOTHER air suspension question

M

my95mark8

I turned the switch in the trunk "off",out of curiosity and so far, it "seems" the suspension is not leaking.
It had been leaking down pretty quickly lately, in the front only, but I decided to try this.
I had the car apart a couple weeks ago, and since then it has gotten worse.
Would a computer problem drop the front only? What if we damaged the sensor when we took it apart?
The other thing I am thining is that it is MUCH warmer out there (45ish) today than it has been the past few days (20ish).

Could be a water saturated drier which ices up in colder weather. I know I've had that happen once last year and once this year with mine...

It dropped the front on mine only last year, but this year the entire car dropped. Put in a new drier from Arnott ($35) and it's been ok since.

I'd pull the drier out, take the lines out of it, and shake it to see if any water comes out - provided it's not freezing out when you do it, you should see some water in there.

It's pretty simple to get to if the resonator in the fender is already removed - just take the air box out, and reach through the hole to undo the screw holding the drier to the compressor. Don't know how much line you have to work with if it's all stock, because I have the spyder valve on mine, so it may add some length to the lines.

Removing that bumper cover is a lotta work for the air ride compressor. Hell, it's a lotta work just to change a grille. You can get to the compressor through the wheel well - just remove the plastic lining in there..that's how I swapped mine out, :Beer

To me, the 1st time I did it, I wanted to see exactly what I was doing. Removing the bumper cover didn't take long at all. Then I could see the whole assembly easily. Even now that I know what it takes to get it out, I'd still pull the cover. The grill is attached to the cover, I didn't seperate them. A phillips screw driver, 7/16 wrench, 5 push button thingies, If you got a stubbie phillips, you don't even have to take the wheel off.

I know all about having the front bumper cover off - we had it off to change my friend's busted grille. Still too much work - especially in the cold - for an air ride compressor. You can see perfectly fine through the wheel well.

nick no bumper.jpg

Hey my95mark8 - Here's the instructions from my AllData Cd:

Air Compressor and Drier Assembly

Removal

1. Remove the vehicle's front bumper cover as outlined in «Section 01-19».

NOTE:
The air compressor and drier assembly is located ahead of the front RH wheel. It may be convenient to service the solid state relay and the four air line connections by disassembling and carefully bending back the forward section of the RH front wheel splash shield.

2. Remove the fuel system carbon canister as outlined in «Section 03-13».

3. Disconnect the electrical connector for the compressor motor, located on the front face of the compressor bracket.

4. Disconnect the solid state relay connector, located on outboard face of the compressor bracket.

5. Disconnect the four air lines from the compressor drier as outlined.

6. Disconnect the wiring harness and front left air line clip from the rear face of the compressor bracket.

7. Remove the two lower screws that fasten the bracket to the body.

8. Remove the upper screw that fastens the top of the compressor bracket to the body.

9. Remove the assembly from the vehicle.

Mark VIII drier removal.jpg

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it only says servicing the solid state relay and the four air line connections could be serviced this way, And it MAY BE convenient doesn't sound 100% confident to me. #1. Remove the vehicles front bumper cover. Thats what I see.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it only says servicing the solid state relay and the four air line connections could be serviced this way, And it MAY BE convenient doesn't sound 100% confident to me. #1. Remove the vehicles front bumper cover. Thats what I see.
screw that why pull the whole bumper cover if it only takes 10 min to pull the wheel well and only 10 more min to swap out the comp, it took longer to pull the air silencer out and throw across the shop. pulling the bumper cover to change the compressor is like pulling the engine to change the oil:Bang

LOL no kidding.

If you're servicing the relay or the air lines, you can get at the compressor and drier since they're all in that same area.

Next time I do it, hopefully I won't have to, I'll entertain the idea. Just didn't seem logical having never done it before. I didn't put it on stands, as it didn't look very accessible from the bottom to me, I did it with wheels on.

I guess I've been doing it the hard way for years. Heres some pics from the past. #1 Me changing the oil on my fist car, before I knew you didn't have to take the motor out. #2 Me changing a fuse. #3 Took a while to find the gas tank in that one. #4 I never did find my cell phone.

Jason changing oil.JPG

114-1413_IMG.JPG

114-1415_IMG.JPG

114-1412_IMG.JPG

how many mil best. did you drink before starting ha aha ha.one of the best post in a while. happy new year. jd

Hey removing the bumper is easy and takes very little time. Also it may take less time to remove the bumper than to wiggle your way around the wheel well.

You may want to get a Spider Valve from American Air Suspension as it helps vent the moisture from the dryer and prolongs the life of the compressor.

If you have questions call Eddie at http://www.americanairsuspension.com/ he will answer all your questions and help talk you through the job if you need help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back