Xcal vs. KKM intake

n8bachelor

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Which do you think would make the bigger difference Xcal2 or the KKM intake and intake tube (if they even make one for my 04 v6). I may end up getting both the Xcal2 and the KKM but am waiting for the factory warranty to expire (6,000 more miles). I dont want anything wild just a little better throttle response and maybe better gas mileage...... what do you think?

On another note I had problems with the 2-3 upshift being rough and the dealer reprogramed the pcm (as suggested by the TSB) due to a known issue for my year and tranny combination. My question is if I get the Xcal2 with tunes from Torrie will I download my base tune into it so that I can restore it later or will it come with the stock tune for my year/model info and the modified tunes? Basically does the 'tune' reprogram the pcm and if so will I loose my tranny recalibration by using an alternate tune?

thanks for any comments,

n8

Go with the KKM or K&N for fuel milage. Use the Xcal for performance. I always put the stock air box in when it goes in for oil changes and I return the factory tune. Yes the xcal will save the factory tune and then reload it if you have a problem and you won't lose the tranny recalibration. The xcal will download exactly what is in your car before it loads the performance tune.

For warranty purposes it is much quicker and easier to flash the car back to stock vs putting the stock air box back in.

well the xcal will make more of a change, since it can make adjustments to everything not just the restriction of the air flow.

You download your stock tune to the xcal to lock it to your vehicle. Now the tunes that you upload from Torrie always overwrite everything that is in your PCM, that is why you store off your original tune.
Yes the Tuned flashes could undo some recent Dealer fix but it is doubtful that Torrie would not have the latest and 'greatest' to work with.

I would think your needs wouldnt be met by either. I highly doubt you'll get better mileage with either, mostly due to you wanting to run a little harder. As far as throttle response, i think the drive by wire pretty much prevents that from being improved. Who knows, spend your money and find out. I think waiting till your warranty to expire to use the xcal is a mistake. There is alot of debate on whether it will cause some premature wear to the engine and tranny. With you having a V6 i'd just leave it. My $.02

I have both on my 02 and noticed a nice improvement from both, but neither is going to be earth shattering. I like the KKM and intake for the engine note it gives under WOT and i like my xcal 2 more for the shift adjustments then anything else. In SST mode the shifts are about as solid and instant as the old man's F1 gearbox in his F360, well nothing is quite like that but you get the idea.

If you're only going to get one - than get the XCal, it will open your car up.

I have read that with the KKM and an freer-flowing exhaust the Xcal will work the best, but you would probably have to send it back to Torrie to adjust for the mods. If you plan on the other upgrades, then you might just want to get the intake first (to save on paying extra each time you change a part by updating the Xcal.)

The Xcal is not worth $400.00.

I've got exhaust, intake and I did have the Xcal before I sold it off. I probably gained maybe .2 - .3 with the max tune in 1/4 mile. By far the best power gain - IMHO - was the exhaust. However, the Xcal can be very useful when making many different electronic calibrations (as in the case with Quik, who worships the xcal ;0)

You will not need to send your xcal to torrie to get new tunes for things like exhaust and intake, he e-mails them to you.

You should not wait for warranty to expire - BIG MISTAKE. If I didn't have my warranty intact, I would have been out over $1,500 when the XCAL (IMHO) caused my solenoid to go out. The stealership cannot and will not detect the Xcal once you flash your car back to stock and the intake does not matter, they could care less if you have an intake, they know it barely does sh*t for you anyways. I've brought my car to the dealership with the intake intact for a multitude of problems ranging from faulty engine coils to a busted tranny, they really don't care, and if they do, go to another dealership. Waiting for the warranty to expire is pointless.

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
The Xcal is not worth $400.00.

I've got exhaust, intake and I did have the Xcal before I sold it off. I probably gained maybe .2 - .3 with the max tune in 1/4 mile. By far the best power gain - IMHO - was the exhaust. However, the Xcal can be very useful when making many different electronic calibrations (as in the case with Quik, who worships the xcal ;0)

You will not need to send your xcal to torrie to get new tunes for things like exhaust and intake, he e-mails them to you.

You should not wait for warranty to expire - BIG MISTAKE. If I didn't have my warranty intact, I would have been out over $1,500 when the XCAL (IMHO) caused my solenoid to go out. The stealership cannot and will not detect the Xcal once you flash your car back to stock and the intake does not matter, they could care less if you have an intake, they know it barely does sh*t for you anyways. I've brought my car to the dealership with the intake intact for a multitude of problems ranging from faulty engine coils to a busted tranny, they really don't care, and if they do, go to another dealership. Waiting for the warranty to expire is pointless.

In my situation I dont believe any of these modifications are going to make huge differences. I drive an 04 v6. They dont make an exhaust (as of yet) for my car and I doubt it would make much difference for the money I would spend. $400 is a bit much to spend on an electrinic gismo that may or may not make much of a difference (performance wise) on the v6. I dont want to risk doing damage to the engine or tranny (which is the weak link here anyway). I would like to hear a bit more of the engine when I get on it so maybe the KKM is the way to go for me after all. Throtle response is sluggish at best and I would really like that to improve, at least a little. I do love my lincoln.... sure cant wait for it to be paid off though.

n8

hey if you are not happy with the throttle response of your Throttle by Wire LS then the xcal is the only tool that will fix the issue for you.

Since it is the electronics that are overriding and ignoring your commands when you goose the throttle, the only thing that will fix the response issue is to reprogram the PCM.

You can't do that with an intake.

I put mine back to stock and oh my ... I had forgotten what a difference it makes. The only time I'll be without my Torrie Tune is when I take it in for warranty work or sell it. I vote for the Xcal2. It does improve the TBW response and the tranny shifting. As for exhaust, on your '04, it is a waste of money except to change the sound. I think the exhaust on the '03+ has been discussed in great length and no substantial improvements are currently available. Again .. just MHO.

Members online

No members online now.
Back