X pipe and h pipe on exhaust

sleeperLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about running a x pipe before my h pipe on my ls? What do you think it will sound like?

Why bother?

Change the whole thing out to,

1 single Magnaflow # 11386 - 4" x 9" x 14" Dual In/Out Satin Stainless 2.5" True X core design,
positioned in the tunnel, third CAT and resonators deleted, 2.5" piping w/ chrome Magnaflow tips.

more: What did you do to your LS today?

Last edited:
This will be my second exhaust system from the cat back. I have a cat back exhaust with a x pipe in place of the res and no mufflers, but this time I'm going to run the same with a h pipe added

Why ?
What do you expect this to do ?

Both types are supposed to give an 'extra' path for exhaust gasses so as to make it less likely that there would be, at any given time, a 'bottleneck'. It's been proven that an 'X' is more efficient than an 'H' so, the 'X' is used when there is space. Using both would be sorta like trying to bolt an extra carburetor on top of an already attached carburetor because then you'd have twice the fuel capacity.

KS

Well then, why does corsa have an exhaust system that has two x pipes? Would that hurt performance and gas mileage?

I'm sure the Corsa system is explicitly designed to use both x pipes in the proper place to help scavenging. Plus they didn't just hack and slash their system together. Probably cost them thousands of dollars to design the system they offer.

Unless you have design flow specs on the factory LS exhaust,,, you could end up causing more turbulence... which could possibly increase backpressure that could harm the converters and/or give the O2 sensors fits.

You can also buy a little spinner dingus that fits in the intake pipe between the intake filter and the throttle body. They'll tell you it works just like a supercharger and will double your horsepower---and all for only $99.98. A double 'X' pipe will undoubtedly do about that same degree of improvement!

KS

^^^ LOL!!! Do I sense a touch of sacasm there??? ;)

They were called "Tornado" or "Vornado",,, or something like that... weren't they??? Maybe it was tomato. :D

Since nobody else has tried it and nobody else wanted to do it I went ahead and got them both put on. I can say it definitely gives me a lot more low end and high end then when I just had my x pipe. And it sounds a lot better too, now time to put some mufflers on it

20170311_120334.jpg

In order to make that claim, you'll need to give us an A-B-A test with numbers. I say that because I ran my '02 at the ECTA Maxton Mile some years ago. The first weekend, I had a stock exhaust system and intake system on it. When I went back a month later I had a complete Cat-back Magnaflow exhaust installed and an intake tube as well, including the supplied cone air filter. It made no difference at all in my 1 mile times. The sound difference may well make it seem---well, you understand. Bragging rights only come with test results.

KS

If you made the change and noticed a difference which you are pleased with then that's all that matters.

Myself I could not see the point and from personal experience was already pleased with just simply running one simple cross over. Either inside a muffler or as a stand alone.

Naturally when you alter the dynamics, it's going to give you a slight difference in sound.
Is it efficient and makes much of a performance difference? I doubt it.

...it definitely gives me a lot more low end and high end then when I just had my x pipe

maybe the sound is different enough for you to notice, but there is 0% chance of it making a performance difference with the one exception that the piece of tubing that was removed to make room for it had a clog in it.

the old but dyno is not a finely calibrated machine, its results are often thrown off by interference coming from the lightness of ones wallet after buying parts or by the brains placebo effect of doing work.

real dynos use math and science to give real numbers.

Members online

No members online now.
Back