Wtf? 3 Months..nooo

itsnotmydaddys

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
nothing big (i hope) i got in my ls today to go pick up some things for it and realized after i get gas at mobil(91) that the check engine light was on i stopped turned it off and back on and its stil there. i read the manual and it says check the gas cap and all of that. i did that and its still on. i got a 2 year 24000 mile warranty. what should i do?

disconnect the positive and negative battery cable, vise grip them together ,tap the brake,and let it sit for 20 min.then hook up and let idle.this will reset the keep alive memory.if this doesnt help let us know.

l-m tech said:
disconnect the positive and negative battery cable, vise grip them together ,tap the brake,and let it sit for 20 min.then hook up and let idle.this will reset the keep alive memory.if this doesnt help let us know.

Clearing codes from your PCM's memory doesn't fix the problem that caused it to throw a code in the first place.

Get that code read, and find out what's causing the light to come on. Could be anything, but more than likely nothing serious if you haven't already noticed a change in how the car runs/sounds.

BTW, I don't see what vice-gripping cables together would do, there's no power source :confused:. Disconnecting them alone for 20 or so minutes would suffice.

if it is the gas cap it would not reset for 2 tank fills iirc. But have that thing read and post it back here before you clear it.

will do, im gonna o to autozone tomorrow and they do free readings, or should i go to the dealer.

If autozone does it for free - go for it, save $65, you'll get the same answer at either place.

Just don't expect autozone to be able to fix the problem.

Hopefully for your sake - it is just the gas cap :).

nooo

i just got back from autozone and they read it and it came out as code 0171 i bleieve. they said its either spark plugs, o2 censor, or :Bang damn i forgot the 3rd thing. what should i do. i just got the car 3 months ago, it has 47000 miles on it. please help me out.

oh yeah the fuel injector. i have been getting :q:q:q:qty gas mileage lately, but the dude at autozone said it sounded like the plugs when it started saying it didnt start as fast as i should.

Kevin said:
Clearing codes from your PCM's memory doesn't fix the problem that caused it to throw a code in the first place.

Get that code read, and find out what's causing the light to come on. Could be anything, but more than likely nothing serious if you haven't already noticed a change in how the car runs/sounds.

BTW, I don't see what vice-gripping cables together would do, there's no power source :confused:. Disconnecting them alone for 20 or so minutes would suffice.
connecting the cables together resets the keep alive memory.anything the vehicles have learned will be reset.all the modules and computers that have capacitors that store power,and clamping the cables together and tapping the brake drains all the energy from the system. this is somthing Ford has us do . might not seem right but has straightend up a lot of little problem the vehicle learns.i didnt write the book,i just go by it

l-m tech said:
connecting the cables together resets the keep alive memory.anything the vehicles have learned will be reset.all the modules and computers that have capacitors that store power,and clamping the cables together and tapping the brake drains all the energy from the system. this is somthing Ford has us do . might not seem right but has straightend up a lot of little problem the vehicle learns.i didnt write the book,i just go by it

Awesome tip. Thanks. I hate having to wait 20 to 30 minutes for my pcm resets.

eL eS said:
Awesome tip. Thanks. I hate having to wait 20 to 30 minutes for my pcm resets.

I have always disconnected the ground from the battery and opened a door for a few minutes and never had problems, but hey, better to be sure. Anyway, I laugh everytime I see this thread because of the original title. I don't know why that 'Noooo" just kills me.

lsbit said:
I have always disconnected the ground from the battery and opened a door for a few minutes and never had problems, but hey, better to be sure. Anyway, I laugh everytime I see this thread because of the original title. I don't know why that 'Noooo" just kills me.

I have wondered the same thing. What was the other thread where the post was solid jibberish; i forget and I do not believe the poster clarified. Ahh the mysteries.

itsnotmydaddys said:
i was saying noooo because i just got the car and dont want anything to be wrong with it.

ahhhh.... i hear ya. i have had mine since 2000 and I still dont want anything to be wrong with mine :)

eL eS said:
with the p0171 code have you tinkered with the MAF or the air filter lately?[/QUOTF
Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 it says and no i havent done anything under the hood, i got an oil change on saturday at walmart. free.

could be a dirty or defective MAF. yu might have a hose clamp loose or a vaccum hose is loose or disconnected. Make sure everything from the air box to the throttle body is fitted properly and tightend well.

itsnotmydaddys said:
i was saying noooo because i just got the car and dont want anything to be wrong with it.

I know exactly what you were saying and could picture it...I guess it is just that I can relate.

I said the same thing when I found out the rear-diff needed to be rebuilt...and when I drove it down the road and heard the front-end clunking, and when it started to mis-fire in the morning, and when the driver's side seat wouldn't heat, and when the rear-view mirror didn't work, and when the passenger side headlight fogged up, and when the brakes barely worked, and when the hood kept popping open, and when my friend found the headliner was loose in the rear, and when I found the passenger side front speaker was blown, and when I found a couple of the wheels had embedded crap from the brakes in the finish, and when I found the front left tire leaks air, and when it "out of nowhere" vibrated at 50-60 mph one morning, and when the A/C and heat stunk (not oil this time). Of course, I have only been driving it just over a week now, so I will have to give it time to see if I find anything wrong with the car.

You just have to laugh.

lsbit said:
I know exactly what you were saying and could picture it...I guess it is just that I can relate.

I said the same thing when I found out the rear-diff needed to be rebuilt...and when I drove it down the road and heard the front-end clunking, and when it started to mis-fire in the morning, and when the driver's side seat wouldn't heat, and when the rear-view mirror didn't work, and when the passenger side headlight fogged up, and when the brakes barely worked, and when the hood kept popping open, and when my friend found the headliner was loose in the rear, and when I found the passenger side front speaker was blown, and when I found a couple of the wheels had embedded crap from the brakes in the finish, and when I found the front left tire leaks air, and when it "out of nowhere" vibrated at 50-60 mph one morning, and when the A/C and heat stunk (not oil this time). Of course, I have only been driving it just over a week now, so I will have to give it time to see if I find anything wrong with the car.

You just have to laugh.

Yet we love the car and Lincoln doesn't!

l-m tech said:

I am definately going to give that a try next time I try to reset the PCM.

Thanks for the tip, and you have my appology for doubting you :cool:!

eL eS said:
Yet we love the car and Lincoln doesn't!

Yea. The problems I list look bad in writing, but most of the repairs aren't too expensive doing it yourself (as you know). The headlight repair is a classic. It didn't really freak out my wife like I thought it would. She must be used to me after almost 15 years. She didn't even question me using her cookie sheet.

Gotta love this forum. :)

lsbit said:
Yea. The problems I list look bad in writing, but most of the repairs aren't too expensive doing it yourself (as you know). The headlight repair is a classic. It didn't really freak out my wife like I thought it would. She must be used to me after almost 15 years. She didn't even question me using her cookie sheet.

Gotta love this forum. :)

Yeah I am on year number 7 and even though the precent for me being an odd bird was set years back my wife thought I had lost it when I took her cookie sheet to bake my headlight brownies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back