Wtb 4x4-1000-1500

V-Tally

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I am looking for a decent smaller size truck or SUV, with 4x4. I have only several requests, no frame rot, working 4wd, and no blown engines. It's a first car for my wife, and I don't want to get something I'll regret if she bangs up, but I don't want something I'll have to worry about crumbling apart while she's driving (actual crumbling, if the alternator goes, or the starter goes, or no A/C, it's fine with me. Hell even if none of the windows cept for the driver's side roll down, or the speakers are blown. As long as it is structurally sound and no major mechanical issues). I know this might be a longshot, this being a lincoln forum and all, but maybe someone out there knows of someone out there who's looking to get rid of a decent truck cheap. NYC/NJ/PA would be a huge plus.

Junking the 94 explorer, good running truck, but tranny took a big steaming dump on my efforts to fix the small things (when I picked it up it really was just minor things, speakers, shocks, alignment, oil change) I do not have the money to get another Trans, nor do I have anyplace to put the damn thing while I save up. Insurance will eat away at me, and if anything else goes, Ill be in even deeper. Time to cut my losses. Damn shame too, engine is strong. Now I know first hand why they call em exploders, not even a warning slip, bump or tremble, just up and "No sir, I will not shift into second, and if you force me, Good luck getting me into third." Anyway, that's my rant. Anyone need a set of rear motorcraft shocks for an explorer? Got an air filter and oil filter too, and some oil. Shocks are still in box. Oh ya, and auto locking hubs suck.

the auto locking hubs have always been an issue on fords.. but its usually the bigger trucks that break them. smaller trucks usually do ok. have had good luck with them on f150s and rangers up to 200k ish miles. you always gotta remember to unlock and then reverse to unlock them. after 200k the f150 hub we had didn't like to disengage until a few miles later. but never anything major.

as for the trans, a4ld's are :q:q:q:q. pure trash. many of them are dead and gone. the 4.0 trans was better, but not great. ford had so much bad luck with them. many factory rebuilds under 60k. we had our adl4 from a ranger rebuilt 3 times and lasted only 10k between all 3 rebuilds. all kinds of trouble. our normal trans guy wouldn't even touch it. just said no. i won't own another a4ld vehicle.

ya that's what family friends pretty much said about the trans, said too expensive and no point whatsoever to rebuild them. They said better off with a junkyard trans, and even then I don't want to bother with it. ya I took it out in the snow, just to see how it will do with the trans acting up, and the front hubs did not want to engage. I did put it in 4 low, and the rear wheels would just spin the minute I took my foot off of the brake though. Eh got to beat on it a little before the tow truck gets here, who I must say can't keep an on time appointment apparently.

those auto hubs really need to be rolling to lock in properly. gotta lock em in before you lose traction.
that's the weak spot. they won't fully engage, you'll get those back wheels spinning, then the front slams in, and bang, broke. but, if you lock them in before you hit the real slick stuff (mud, snow, ice), they will lock properly and do fine.

you're right though, the manual hubs have fewer problems, and have less friction as well.

my neighbors son had a lifted f250 powerstroke. went through 3 or so of the auto hubs before switching to manual hubs. never broke another one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back