Wrong alternator received by retailer, do I have the right of a full refund ??

LS6_5SPD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, unfortunately I bought a brand new alternator for my car and received the wrong one. Its obviously the retail shop's owner's fault. My question is, do I have the right to return it and get a full refund?

Long story.
My LS is stick shift, which has a different alternator than the automatic LS6.
So my alternator goes bad and I call this shop. I speak with the owner over the phone and tell him the situation, specifying that my car uses a different alternator than the automatic transmission equipped LS. He says I can either rebuild my own for $119 with a full year of warranty or I could buy a brand new one for $159 with lifetime warranty. So I bought the new one. After installing it, it doesnt work right. So I take the car to his shop, he runs a test, and comes with the conclusion of my car being stick shift, tho needing a specific alternator. So he gives me 2 options:

Option 1. He will rebuild my own, but wants to charge me 159 now.
Option 2. He will find the right one new.

At this point I know this guy is not honest nor truthful. So I want to reverse the whole thing and go get mine rebuild somewhere else.

I would make him give you your money back then go buy a new motorcraft one, well a rebuilt one. Plus you know it will be the right part.

It's sad but you really have to watch out for those one or two guy shops. It's hard to tell what kind of work they do with out actually knowing the guy personally.

What your rights are, will be determined by your States Consumer Rights Laws. He really should give you your money back

I would make him give you your money back then go buy a new motorcraft one, well a rebuilt one. Plus you know it will be the right part.

It's sad but you really have to watch out for those one or two guy shops. It's hard to tell what kind of work they do with out actually knowing the guy personally.

Bro, 2 guys shop. I have mine which is OEM Motorcraft. I will have it rebuilt because honestly I cant afford a new one at Ford.

What your rights are, will be determined by your States Consumer Rights Laws. He really should give you your money back

Yeah, Im trying to find that info. Going crazy here as I cant find it.

Yeah, they gave me this to check.

501.141 Delivery of crated goods; written statement of satisfaction; right to cancel.

501.141 Delivery of crated goods; written statement of satisfaction; right to cancel.

(1) As used in this section, “statement of satisfaction” means any receipt, statement, or document by which any retail noncommercial buyer of goods, which goods are to be delivered or are delivered in any box, crate, or other covering which hides the goods from view, is requested or required, as a condition upon receipt of any such purchased goods, to attest satisfaction with the condition or operation of any goods delivered or to be delivered by a seller or her or his representative.

(2) Every statement of satisfaction requested or required to be attested or agreed to in this state shall be evidenced by a writing as provided in this section.

(a) The person or business entity requesting or requiring any such statement of satisfaction shall present to and obtain from the buyer her or his signature to the statement of satisfaction which designates, as the date of the attestation of or agreement to the statement, the date on which the buyer actually signs and which contains a statement of buyer’s rights which complies with paragraph (b).

(b) The statement must:

1. Appear under the conspicuous caption, “BUYER’S RIGHT TO CANCEL.”

2. Read as follows: “If the goods you have received are not in satisfactory condition or operation, you may cancel this statement of satisfaction by mailing a notice to the seller. This notice must indicate that you do not want the goods in the condition in which they were delivered and must be postmarked before midnight of the fifth business day after you sign this statement.”

(3) Any statement of satisfaction agreed or attested to which is not in compliance with the provisions of this section shall be null, void, and of no force or effect.

History. s. 1, ch. 77-346; s. 625, ch. 97-103.

As of what I understand I dont have what it takes to force them to give me a refund. Am I correct?

Are you looking for a refund on the item you bought? This part of the statute relates to purchases. He gave you a receipt for the purchase right?

This shop is phucked up ... if he doesn't replace it ...

Also try the Better Buisness Bureau if he doesn't replace this alt.

What do you mean buddy? Honestly, I dont want a replacement. I want to return it and get me money back. Then have my older alternator repaired.
Oh, this is phucked up.. I bought a brand new alternator and got charged for a core. Dumb me..

Are you looking for a refund on the item you bought? This part of the statute relates to purchases. He gave you a receipt for the purchase right?

Yea, he gave me an invoice. With his business name, address and so on.

Perfect! You bought an altenator for a 2000 Lincoln LS V6 with a Manual Transmission. He gave you an altenator for a 2000 Lincoln LS (probably automatic). Therefore he sold you the wrong item. He should take it back and I believe he has to. He did not sell you what you intended to purchase "intent" being the key word. I am assuming you are worried about this because they say there are no refunds on electrical components. I think it is easy to prove that he sold you the wrong item and that it is not your fault, it is his. I am sure it will all work out for you.

Yeah, they gave me this to check.

(1) As used in this section, “statement of satisfaction” means any receipt, statement, or document by which any retail noncommercial buyer of goods, which goods are to be delivered or are delivered in any box, crate, or other covering which hides the goods from view, is requested or required, as a condition upon receipt of any such purchased goods, to attest satisfaction with the condition or operation of any goods delivered or to be delivered by a seller or her or his representative. (2) Every statement of satisfaction requested or required to be attested or agreed to in this state shall be evidenced by a writing as provided in this section.

(a) The person or business entity requesting or requiring any such statement of satisfaction shall present to and obtain from the buyer her or his signature to the statement of satisfaction which designates, as the date of the attestation of or agreement to the statement, the date on which the buyer actually signs and which contains a statement of buyer’s rights which complies with paragraph (b).

(b) The statement must:

1. Appear under the conspicuous caption, “BUYER’S RIGHT TO CANCEL.”

2. Read as follows: “If the goods you have received are not in satisfactory condition or operation, you may cancel this statement of satisfaction by mailing a notice to the seller. This notice must indicate that you do not want the goods in the condition in which they were delivered and must be postmarked before midnight of the fifth business day after you sign this statement.”

(3) Any statement of satisfaction agreed or attested to which is not in compliance with the provisions of this section shall be null, void, and of no force or effect.

History. s. 1, ch. 77-346; s. 625, ch. 97-103.

As of what I understand I dont have what it takes to force them to give me a refund. Am I correct?

Here are the key words in the statute

Members online

Back