Would you buy this future Lincoln?

wetsidewagon

LVC Member
Reaction score
(this is an imaginary Lincoln)

media.ford.com says that Lincoln will make five new cars over the next few years. Three of those include the Mark LT, the Zephyr, and a car-based suv to replace the Aviator. That leaves two other Lincolns.

I think Lincoln should drop the LS and the Town Car and replace them with the Continental. It should have two wheelbases, bold styling, and great performance.

I think the LS's chassis would make for a great start.

What do you think?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1174

I am not interested in anything SUV or SUV based. Maybe someday, but I have no kids or anything. That continental concept looks pretty neat. I guess if I wanted something LS-chassis based, there is the Mustang GT

Not interested in the SUVs, nor the FWD or AWD Zephyr concepts. Ford management and marketing still have an inferiority complex. Since they don't believe their cars are as good as the Europeans or Japanese (in many cases they are correct), they still feel they need to offer more size for the same price as the competition.

I'd much rather have a better car for the same price than a larger car for the same price. I like the LS but it is as large as I'd like to go. Thankfully it drives smaller than it is but I'd probably like it better if it were 3 - 4 inches shorter and 150 - 250 lbs lighter.

How could they drop the Town Car? That is their fleet car. That's like Ford dropping the Crown Vic. I think that with a full line of SUV's and sedans (Towncar/LS/Zephyr, Navi/LT/Aviator) it would be naive to think that Lincoln isn't considering some type of coupe to compete with Lexus SC430, Infiniti G35, Pontiac GTO, etc... and I hope the Mustang heavily influences it (rather than the Thunderbird).

Hell Yes

1174-2.jpg

seanklsc said:
How could they drop the Town Car? That is their fleet car. That's like Ford dropping the Crown Vic. I think that with a full line of SUV's and sedans (Towncar/LS/Zephyr, Navi/LT/Aviator) it would be naive to think that Lincoln isn't considering some type of coupe to compete with Lexus SC430, Infiniti G35, Pontiac GTO, etc... and I hope the Mustang heavily influences it (rather than the Thunderbird).
:I AMEN! Preach on brother! Lincoln would be slitting their own throats if they started to only base their products on SUV's and their brethern! :I totally here!

I agree as well... Getting rid of the Town car would be a dumb move, look at GM.. they canned the rear drive caprice and look what they have for police service ... a lumina with an attitude. I wouldn't nuke the LS chassis either. I really don't understand what the world's hangup is on front wheel drive POS's is. I've driven Grand Marquis in the PA winters for the last 15 years and have never been stuck to the point that I couldn't get myself out in under 10 minutes. If you know how to drive and have the right gear... it's no big deal. Snow tires = winter, and all season = summer, not too tough, right? SUV's? I don't care, other than chicks can do more damage than they could in the chrysler minivan.

There are things Ford can do to improve their machines, no doubt. Most of it is common sense, something that bean counting CEO's have no idea about.

Someone mentioned above about how the european cars are perceived as better, that may be true, until you try to fix one out of warranty. Anyway, that's my $.02

Kleetus
'00 LS V8

:soapbox:

that continental concept freakin rocks. I seen it at the Buffalo auto show this year, they had a guy from lincoln talking about it and was showing the interior and trunk.

such a beautiful car... needs a little work here and there, but I think it looked great.

Personally, I don't feel it would be a great idea to dump the Town Car. Some people buy Lincolns for the classic luxury boat ride, and the Town Car fills that niche perfectly. Tho I must say, that Mark LT is a pretty sweet looking truck.

Lincoln needs something that will truly seat five adults, handle their luggage, and provide them with a comfortable ride in a luxury automobile.
The Japanese have nothing like this and few European boxes come close. Tutonic interiors leave me cold and $55K Infinitys with Pinto like interiors do nothing for me either.
Lincolns big problem has been poor reliability compaired to other cars in its class, kind of the same problem Chrysler has always had. This was not always the case but you can't live on your reputation forever. Go back to the mindset Lincoln had in 1961 and build the best car you can.
FORD has been building cars long enough to know how to do it right, they need people who want to build fine cars at the top, not the bean counters Henry Ford would have gleefully kicked out the front door with his own foot.

seanklsc said:

This "Continental" would be their fleet car and I think it would make a great flagship.

Won't the Zephyr cost around $27,000-$36,000?

It seems odd to have that car and the LS and the Town Car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back