Worth upgrade 00 LS6 to 02 LS8?

RockLSonDubz

LVC Member
Reaction score
Is it worth selling my 00 LS6 that's in very good condition and has had lots of money in upgrades done to buy a 02 LS8 for $600 that needs ball joint and lower control arm replaced ;but runs mint and body/interior are mint?
I know there's a lot of variables that could alter what the smart decision is ;but lets take everything at face value.
I would possibly need to drop around $200 to tow the LS8 to my dad who is a Ford mechanic by trade, pops gives me free shop labour time and his discount on the parts so I'll save a bunch of money there.
Any opinion or advice or feedback shared is appreciated. My only wish for the LS6 is to be able to beat chump non hemi chrysler 300s or at least get sideways and keep up off the line better. I could list off more detail about my LS6 upgrades and repairs I've done if it helps.
Thanks to anyone that replies I appreciate it.

If you really want an upgrade, save up for a 2nd gen.

Same vehicle = same quirks. Different engine = different quirks. The 3.0 has proven to be very reliable over its long history. I've gone up against a couple 3.0's and the manual trans versions were pretty even with my V8.

My only wish for the LS6 is to be able to beat chump non hemi chrysler 300s or at least get sideways and keep up off the line better.

Since you have a Gen 1... it IS possible to drop a limited slip differential inside the rear case. 8.8 Traction- Lock for a Mustang fits, (28 spline IIRC). You could also change the gearing for better "launch". 3.55 gears would show noticeable improvement, (if not already in there). 3.73 would be even better, but you would lose some top end speed. Either way... you would then you would need to get a programmer to get proper speed readout.

There are mods available for the 3.0, which would be even more of an upgrade beyond gearing and traction.

https://www.nautilusperformance.com/en/v6-engines/duratec-v6

Not affiliated. It's just the first "Google search" link I clicked on.

Your probably going to "not thank" me for this idea :D ... but you could buy the V8 and fix it then use it for your DD while you mod the 3.0. Then sell the v8 when done , (for possibly more money than what you paid).

Members online

No members online now.
Back