Worse car ever put into production?

CaptainZilog said:
Buick 3.8L V6, a bad engine? HELL NO. Rather, it is one of the greatest ever built.

oh yea, my 86 Delta 88 has over 240K miles on its' 3.8L V6 and it's still running great with no major repairs.

Katshot has a real point with the word "Lucas". I think it is really a derivative of Lucifer. I owned a '74 TR-6. I can testify.

So why do the Brits drink their beer warm.

Yup Lucas makes the refrigerators...

Katshot said:
Obviously you've never had to work on one. I have just one word for you, Lucas.

Ok, I figured I'd weigh in on the subject a bit.....

The Dodge K-car, while not a motorhead's dream, DID make it as Motor Trend's car of the year in 1981, if I'm not mistaken. I don't believe that you can actually call a car the "worst ever" if it had that distinction. Granted, it was gutless, ugly, and basically crap, but it got you there, and it saved Chryslers ass, no question.

The AMC Pacer was no beauty queen either, but there is a HUGE following for that little car. I've also heard of one of them, which was like a wagon variation, had a Buick 401 under the hood, and it plain hauled ass. I'm not sure if that was pure motorhead legend or what, but there's no denying the loyal followers of such a weird little car.

Now, as for a front runner for crappiest car ever, I have to agree with the Yugo vote. Granted, they were cheap, but they were seemingly built by 4th graders in a sweatshop in former Yugoslavia. How can you account for so many jokes about them?
1)Q: How do you upgrade a Yugo car?
A: Put in an engine.
A. "TRADE IT FOR A TRABBIE" (the late great Roosian "people's car")
A. "PARK IT NEXT TO A PORTAJOHN.....AND LEAVE IT UNLOCKED"
A. "CRUSH IT AND USE IT FOR TRACTION BALLAST IN YOUR BIG DOG 4X4 PICKEMUP TRUCK"

2) Q: Why do Yugos have heated rear windows?
A: To keep your hands warm when you're pushing them.

3) Q: How do you make accelerate a Yugo from 0 to 100 km in 10 seconds?
A: Push it off a cliff.

4) Q. What's the difference between a Yugo and the principal's office?
A. It's less embarrassing if your friends see you leaving the principal's
office.

5) Q: What goes on pages 4-5 of the Yugo user's manual?
A: The train & bus schedule.

6) A man goes to a parts garage:
Man: "Can I have a windshield wiper for a Yugo please?"
Parts man: "Yeah, that seems like a fair swap."

7) Q: What is the sport-version of Yugo?
A: The driver wears Nike shoes.

8) Q: What do you call a Yugo at the top of a hill?
A: A miracle.

9) Q: What do you call two Yugos at the top of a hill?
A: A mirage.

10) Q: What do you call a Yugo with dual exhausts?
A: A wheelbarrow

11) Q: How do you double the value of a Yugo?
A: Half fill it with gasoline!

12) Q: How do you make a Yugo look good?
A: Park it between two Cadillacs!

13) Q: What to you call a Yugo with brakes?
A: Customized.

14) Q: What do you have to do if your Yugo gets in the way of a swarm of killer bees?
A: Stop pushing and take refuge into the car.

15) Q: What is the Yugo owner's most ardent wish?
A: To buy a car.

16) Q: What do you call a Yugo with a seat belt?
A: A rucksack.

17) Q: How do you make a Yugo go faster uphill?
A: Throw out the passenger.
A: Call the tow truck driver on his cell, and tell him to step on it.

18 Q: How do you make a Yugo go faster downhill?
A: Turn off the engine.
A: Take it out of gear.

19) Q: What do you call a Yugo with a flat tire?
A: A write off.

20) STOP PRESS!!
Yugo has announced a new 16 Valve model for 1993.
8 in the engine, 8 in the radio.

21) - I can see you've got a new car - a Yugo!
- Yes, I won the second prize in a lottery.
- What was the first prize then?
- A fruit-basket!

22) Yugo will be introducing three new vehicles next year. They will have a moped called an "I Go". They will have a 4-door called a "We Go". They will also have a new station wagon called the "Y'all Go".

23) Q: What do you call a Yugo in the fast lane on the freeway?
A: Roadkill.

24) Some used car dealers might try to reduce the miles on the odometer
to make a car seem worth more money. With a Yugo, they add miles
to try and convince you it really will go that far!

25) "Optimist" defined: A Yugo owner with a radar detector.

26) Q. Why do Yugo owners never carry a map?
A. It'll never get far enough to get lost!

27) Did you hear about the Yugo/pedestrian accident? ...Poor Yugo

28) "Yugo missed out on a great slogan when Doritos took it first:
'Crunch all you want. We'll make more!'" - Steve Geyer

29) Q: What do you call the shock absorbers inside a Yugo?
A: Passengers.

30) The new Yugo has an air bag. When you sense an impending accident, start pumping real fast

31) Yu*go (yoo-go)
n. 1) Small, economical, Yugoslavian-built automobile.
2) 4x4 hood ornament.
adj. 1) What dosen't happen when you press the accelerator

32)Q. How do you fix a broken Yugo?
A. 1) Lift off the radiator cap.
2) Push off cliff.
3) and drive brand-new one underneath radiator cap.
(30-mile/3-day warranty included!)

Seeing as how my father owned 5 of them at one point, I am somewhat familiar with their crappiness.

Anyway, my $.02, yet again. 'later

heh... #1

the 1999 Kia Sephia.... and I'm 100% dead serious

My sister bought one brand new. She owned it for 4 years and must of had it into the dealership ATLEAST 30-40 times in that time frame.

not only was it not reliable... but it also had one of the worst/cheepest interiors I've ever seen on an automobile. The sheet metal was thin, it was gutless, the paint sucked. I can't say that I hate a whole lot... but I deffinitly HATED that car lol

what a pile...

I believe she got about 2K trade in on it when she got her minivan (my brother in law actually wanted the minivan after the piece) lol

Hi Katshot

If you take a look to the left at my location I think you will agree I have probably worked on more English cars than you have had hot dinners ;)

Perhaps you have only ever gotten to work on the bad ones, you mentioned Lucas, by that do you mean you worked on Jaguars :D which have probably the worst electrical system on any car ever produced, it would be a bit like me only ever having worked on an '87 Cadillac Deville 4.1 liter (A friend of mine has one :( )saying all American cars are JUNK, which as you know is not true.

On a recent trip to Philadelphia looking around the parking lots I was suprised to see no end of Land Rovers, they even appead to out number, Chevy and Ford SUVs so I geuss not all British cars are junk.

Regards

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Katshot

If you take a look to the left at my location I think you will agree I have probably worked on more English cars than you have had hot dinners ;)

Perhaps you have only ever gotten to work on the bad ones, you mentioned Lucas, by that do you mean you worked on Jaguars :D which have probably the worst electrical system on any car ever produced, it would be a bit like me only ever having worked on an '87 Cadillac Deville 4.1 liter (A friend of mine has one :( )saying all American cars are JUNK, which as you know is not true.

On a recent trip to Philadelphia looking around the parking lots I was suprised to see no end of Land Rovers, they even appead to out number, Chevy and Ford SUVs so I geuss not all British cars are junk.

Regards

Dereck

No, they're all junk alright, what you witnessed is a not-so-rare phenomenon in the states. Idiots trying to impress everyone else by driving expensive cars. Unfortunately, you'll see a lot of Hummers too and I think most will agree that THOSE pieces of crap have no business being on the road in the first place. Just because you see a lot of something doesn't necessarilly imply quality.
As for your working on a lot of English cars, just because you live in England, that doesn't mean that you work on cars at all. Hell, it doesn't necessarilly mean you even DRIVE them. For the sake of argument though, I'll assume that you do live in England, and DO work on English cars. I'll still stand behind my statement that English cars are some of the worst in the world.

Katshot said:
As for your working on a lot of English cars, just because you live in England, that doesn't mean that you work on cars at all. Hell, it doesn't necessarilly mean you even DRIVE them. For the sake of argument though, I'll assume that you do live in England, and DO work on English cars. I'll still stand behind my statement that English cars are some of the worst in the world.
Your assumptions are close...he OWNS a car shop. He probably knows more about cars than 98% of the members here, too. I'll take his word. ;)

Hi All

Thanks Josh for the support :) it appears Katshot wants an unconstructive arguement ;)

Katshot said: "you'll see a lot of Hummers too and I think most will agree that THOSE pieces of crap have no business being on the road in the first place. "

Isn't the Hummer a Cadilllac Escalade with a different body?

Regards

Dereck

The British, and most europeans have this quaint idea that you take care of your car, If the manual says change the left front hubcap every five thousand miles you change it every five thousand miles. Americans tend to just put in gas and drive. European cars don't hold up to well used like this.

Americans also tend to put on more miles than the average european. Sixty miles is a long way in England. people here in the SF bay area do one hundred twenty mile commutes to work every day.(home and back). This wears cars out that are made to be used in countries the size of Ohio.

But any car that needs three sets of tools to work on because it uses american, metric, and whitworth bolts, like my Rover 2000 did and multiple side draft carbs that need to be adjusted individually then syncronized, as well as having the oil in them topped off is just looking for trouble.

Lucas is truly the Prince of Darkness, but since getting my Mark VIII I know Sylvannia is the Crown Prince.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've really been trying to stay out of this but now that we're talking Escalade, I'll jump in.

When the Hummer was introduced the joke was that you would never get lost in the woods because you could follow the trail of lost parts back out. Over priced loads of crap.

The Escalade on the other hand, has proven it's dependability for at least a few years now. Luxury, power, towing ability, ground clearance and looks.

Hummer = Dumb ass looking POS

Dereck said:
Hi All

Thanks Josh for the support :) it appears Katshot wants an unconstructive arguement ;)

Katshot said: "you'll see a lot of Hummers too and I think most will agree that THOSE pieces of crap have no business being on the road in the first place. "

Regards

Dereck

The H-2 Hummer is on the same platform as the Chevy Tahoe,GMC Yukon, and sadly, yes the Cadillac Escalde. Part of the wonderful world of Badge-Engineering!
Mostly an American creation, which in recent years has spread throughout the world.
(Dereck,think SEAT/VW and the LADA/FIAT, Proton/Mitshubishi connections and you'll know what I mean.){If you didn't know already:)} Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood in which I think it might be part of the covenant to have a large, hulking SUV as a requirement, especially if you have kids!
{{{ I have to retract all my other posts in this thread, to state that I must agree that the H-2 Hummer is the most repulsive beast on the road, ever in the history of ever!}}}

P.s. I love ticking off one neighbor of mine whenever we end up filling at a gas station we both are regulars at by saying very loudly "Thank God I only drive a Lincoln Town Car!" He drives an H-2, and you should see the glare he gives me;)!

Dereck said:
Hi All

Regards

Dereck

Dereck,
Why do you say I'm looking for an arguement? I don't like British cars, That's MY opinion. There's always been a widely held opinion in the industry that British cars are sub-par, so what's the beef? The fact that you have a shop in England means nothing to me, I had one here for a while but don't think that it necessarilly means I'm an expert on anything. Sure, I'll admit that knowing you're a shop owner that actually works on cars lends some credibility to your statements but MY statement was meant to point out that just because you lived in England didn't mean you had any mechanical experience on English cars. See, MY statement came before knowing you had any real experience. Maybe if you had said that you were a "mechanic" in England rather then just saying you "lived" in England, there wouldn't have been any confusion.

Well, once again I must say that there is no reason to own a vehicle that size, and if it's for the seating capacity, then buy a bus. There is just no practical reason to own a 11 passenger vehicle.

The fact that the Escalade is built on the same platform as the Hummer is a total dis justice to Cadillac.

My question is, are we talking about the origional Hummer which was a real off road vehicle, or the glorified POS H2.

Randeaux said:
The H-2 Hummer is on the same platform as the Chevy Tahoe,GMC Yukon, and sadly, yes the Cadillac Escalde. Part of the wonderful world of Badge-Engineering!
Mostly an American creation, which in recent years has spread throughout the world.
(Dereck,think SEAT/VW and the LADA/FIAT, Proton/Mitshubishi connections and you'll know what I mean.){If you didn't know already:)} Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood in which I think it might be part of the covenant to have a large, hulking SUV as a requirement, especially if you have kids!
{{{ I have to retract all my other posts in this thread, to state that I must agree that the H-2 Hummer is the most repulsive beast on the road, ever in the history of ever!}}}

P.s. I love ticking off one neighbor of mine whenever we end up filling at a gas station we both are regulars at by saying very loudly "Thank God I only drive a Lincoln Town Car!" He drives an H-2, and you should see the glare he gives me;)!

I thought it was very clear that I was talking about the H-2(orH2) {sorry,}
Hummer. You know the smaller, half-a$$ed, half-baked (non) version of the original.
Has anyone ever seen an H2 up close? The looks of the damned thing are far better than the quality of it's build(If you ask me!) and that's really saying A LOT! OOgly a$$ block of government cheese looking, low-rent Bling-Bling, reason that oil's $54.95 a barrel, payment as much as a house having,Security Mommy loving,Wheels of Tragedy sequel on the interstate causing M@+#3^F]<73R! (That's my opinion of the H2!)

BTW, I agree with you, Codewize.

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you REALLY feel! ;)
Oh and BTW, I drove one and I'm not impressed. Slow, lethargic handling, gutless, hard to park, slow....(did I mention it was SLOW!?)

If you dont mind i'll throw my 2 cents in;I work for a BMW dealer and the car with the most problems without a doubt is the new 7 series.They are in here all the time for various updates(were on update 13+now) they had to warranty them for 6 years/100k
miles just to make them resellable on the used car market.I think we bought back as many 02"s as we sold.
thanks

cadillac cimarron..... cadillac hit bottom in the 80s

then there is the toyota tracel, 80-90s cutless sierra,

I had a 1989, Zimmer and it was the car from hell, literally! When we were driving it home, about 4 years ago, or there abouts, from Orlando Florida, one wheel center fell off, the seats quit working, but found out later that they only worked intermitantly, no heat in November, the trim on the passenger's door fell off, the carpet on the trunk lid fell off, in fact most everything only worked when it d#(& well felt like it. Oh yes and the worst thing was that we only made it as far back as Santa Rosa, New Mexico, which when you think about it that wasn't too bad as we live in the Albuquerque area, but we were darn lucky to get it that far. The first mechanic could not get it fixed, the second mechanic fixed a few more problems, the third mechanic found the spaghetti bowl of wireing-9 butt connectors on 3 leads, and the 4th mechanic found that something in the engine had gone out and got it fixed enough so that we could sell it and even then it was only a temporary fix and the guy who bought it drove it all the way back to Idaho, I think, and without a single problem. That car just did NOT want to live at our house. But one good thing on the car was that the radio and the clock worked, even though almost nothing else did. Does this qualify?

I have to say that I actually have some appreciateion for each of the cars lambasted here. The one I can't stand from any angle is the 'Aztek'. Just a real visual monstrosity to me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back