working with stainless

SPSully

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
ok, so im trying to do some exhaust work. I've ovalled mild steel before, but I'm wondering if stainless can be ovaled. I know that stainless requires mandrel bending or it will crush. Should I expect the same from trying to oval it?

They also have the angriest-sounding mufflers available to mortals.

ok, so im trying to do some exhaust work. I've ovalled mild steel before, but I'm wondering if stainless can be ovaled. I know that stainless requires mandrel bending or it will crush. Should I expect the same from trying to oval it?

All tubing, especially the thinner stuff, whether it be alum, mild steel, or s.s. requires a mandrel to be used when bending it. Otherwise the material will want to bend in the path of least resistance which results in a flattened section in the bend area for lesser degreed bends or a full on "kink" on the bends exceeding roughly 45 degree angles.

You should be able to bend the stainless to a oval shape without much problem. I would suggest that you have something like a piece of wood as an internal form on which to press the inner walls of the tubing against to give the desired shape. It will make the ovaling process easier and probably more accurate too. Make sure to put the welded seam of the tube on the flat part of the oval so as to minimize the stress put on it and the surrounding metal.

thanks ILLS... I've never heard of an internal piece but seems like a good idea. Normally I just squeeze two 2x4's or whatever together with c clamps nice and slowly

Members online

No members online now.
Back