Working fiberglass..

fuzzmancometh

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing a cowl on my hood. I'm just curious how anyone that has experience manipulates the fiberglass to conform to the hood. This is what I have done so far but the lip of the fiberglass cowl still has a nice bump in it. I've been gently using a heat gun to try to help as well as cutting reliefs in sections to also aid but I'm kinda stuck. Any suggestions??

20170312_134612.jpg

20170312_140641.jpg

Lil update now that I had time. Left the cowl bolted to the hood to kinda use the shop heat to conform... didn't do too much lol stiff as a båstard... set the epoxy to hold it. Well see how it holds then onto filler when the bolts come out!

Haven't gotten a chance to upload or really work on this... frigged my arm up so I've been behind. But here's the hood in first primer. Need a lil more bondo and some sanding then paint..
20170412_123735.jpg

Not how I would do it but you are getting there. Now I worked for years in fiberglass, so it's not surprising.

I would turn the hood into a mold then add the scoop. Then you can pop out new ones, as needed.

Not how I would do it but you are getting there. Now I worked for years in fiberglass, so it's not surprising.

I would turn the hood into a mold then add the scoop. Then you can pop out new ones, as needed.

Haha well bless ur heart. I'll stick to building cars not body work what a pita... I'd never do another one, so no mold needed

Hey PenGun, what do you think would be the best way to make an evap trap (2nd Gen) mold out of fiberlgass? I have a good metal once and wondering if it is worth making fiberglass versions, since the metal ones do not take the winter salt well.

Hey PenGun, what do you think would be the best way to make an evap trap (2nd Gen) mold out of fiberlgass? I have a good metal once and wondering if it is worth making fiberglass versions, since the metal ones do not take the winter salt well.

Honestly I feel like it would crack die to flexing if it we not metal. But I'm not sure

You can take a mold off almost anything. What you need to do is get it fairly smooth and wax the f#*k out of it. You can get mold release wax at your fiberglass supplier and even special resin for molds. You don't need that but the wax is useful. Then you just lay it up over your object, keeping in mind you have to get it off.

I've made molds out of cardboard, and the edge of a 2x4 makes great angle bits for reinforcing stuff, like a hood for instance. ;)

Thanks PenGun, What about Fuzzman's comment of it not holding up? I wonder how expensive getting an aluminium one made would be? I just watched a car show where they made a custom heater/ A/C box out of metal and with the right tools to cut and bend, it looked easy and didn't take them long at all...

You can make it as strong as you want.

My favorite FG story is putting a little patch, about 3"x2", on the back of a Honda 750 crankcase. They would develop a crack if you broke your chain under power. That patch was still good 2 years later when he sold it. If you hit the freshly sanded aluminum with resin, and I mean get resin on the sander disc, it will penetrate into the aluminum, before it oxidizes. It will not come off. ;)

You can make it as strong as you want.

My favorite FG story is putting a little patch, about 3"x2", on the back of a Honda 750 crankcase. They would develop a crack if you broke your chain under power. That patch was still good 2 years later when he sold it. If you hit the freshly sanded aluminum with resin, and I mean get resin on the sander disc, it will penetrate into the aluminum, before it oxidizes. It will not come off. ;)

Thanks PenGen :)

Members online

Back