Won't Start

bputty

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 LS. It has been setting for several months without me driving it; however, I have been starting it and running it for five to ten minutes every other week.
Day before yesterday, I tried to start. It turned over and tried to start several times without a complete start; ran down the battery.
Completely recharged the battery and reconnected the battery. Now the engines starter turns over great, good power, strong engagement; however, now the engine does nothing. No putter, no popping, no trying to start, etc.
My questions. Does someone have a quick and dirty bullet, 1, 2, 3, check list on how and were I should start looking and what to fix to get the engine to start? Thanks.

I have a 2000 LS. It has been setting for several months without me driving it; however, I have been starting it and running it for five to ten minutes every other week.
Day before yesterday, I tried to start. It turned over and tried to start several times without a complete start; ran down the battery.
Completely recharged the battery and reconnected the battery. Now the engines starter turns over great, good power, strong engagement; however, now the engine does nothing. No putter, no popping, no trying to start, etc.
My questions. Does someone have a quick and dirty bullet, 1, 2, 3, check list on how and were I should start looking and what to fix to get the engine to start? Thanks.

First thing I would check is Fuel Pressure.

Spray some starting fluid in the intake while cranking it. If it tried to fire up, you have a fuel problem.

Not sure if this has any relevance, but aside from the LS, we have a 2000 S-Type (V8) that on occasion has the same problem of not starting. Only seems to happen if the car sits longer than a few months. It would turn over fine, but just wouldn't start. After a lot of trial and error, I figured out a way to finally get it started. First, take the key out of the ignition, then press the accelerator pedal to the floor. Then insert the key and try to start it. It hesitates a little bit but will eventually start. For some reason this process doesn't seem to work if the key is in when you depress the accelerator. I have no idea why it works or how but its happened probably 4 times now and this has worked every time. I have a 2000 LS but have never had a no start issue and it can sit for months without being started and its fine. Just checked the odometer and it has been driven 12.1 miles in the last year and a half! I hope you get yours started, I have no idea how relevant this info was but I thought it was worth mentioning. Best of luck!

Almost

Almost started. Will wait an hour or so and try again.
Thanks, will let you know how I come out.

Are you hearing the fuel pump when you turn the key to ON? Check fuel pump reset switch, maybe in driver side kick panel. Push down button to reset. don-ohio

Waited until this morning....
Got in my car and did exactly what you told me to do.
On the FIRST try, the old 2000 LS turned over and is running great.
GREAT, OUTSTANDING advise.

Like you, I sure would like to know the philosophy behind how this service fix works.
Thanks,
Bill

Great! Glad to hear you got it started! Like i said before, I have no idea why this works or even how. Maybe an issue with the passive anti-theft system after the vehicle sits for an extended amount of time? That was one thought I had. Who knows though. As long as it started that's all that matters!

-Bazil

If your gas gauge is at half tank and it won't turnover! It's going to be the jet pump on the driver side rear under the seat cushion. I have the same problem it drove me nuts because I broke down and was towed 3 times before I finally realized I was running out of gas

If your gas gauge is at half tank and it won't turnover! It's going to be the jet pump on the driver side rear under the seat cushion.

no.

if your car wont "turn over", you either have a seized motor or a starter/PATS problem...

if your car turns over but wont fire/run then you MAY have a fuel problem

you are incorrectly describing your own problem... a motor "turning over" or "cranking" is a motor with its rotating assembly being rotated (usually by the starter*)

if your car was running out of gas, then your car was turning over but not firing up. people's inability to properly describe their own problems or use correct terminalgy is a huge reason it takes to long for them to find out the problem.

If your gas gauge is at half tank and it won't turnover! It's going to be the jet pump on the driver side rear under the seat cushion.

also telling somebody that their problem is definitely going to be something specific just based on one similar symptom is not a great practice online... while they MAY have the same problem, there is a hundred different things that COULD be wrong and keeping the car from starting... it would be a shame for somebody to come on here looking for help that may not know a lot about cars to waste money throwing parts at a car that might not be bad just because somebody told them it was the problem.

*I would say that the term "turning over" could be applied if you are turning the motor over by hand, but I would say that if it is "cranking" then that is only done by the starter

Maybe an issue with the passive anti-theft system after the vehicle sits for an extended amount of time? That was one thought I had.

some manufactures immobilizer systems key the car from starting by keeping the fuel from flowing into the motor, some manufactures immobilizers keep the starter from functioning, and some manufactures will allow the car to start and then after a few seconds it will shut down the engine.

Ford's PATS will keep the starter from cranking/turning the motor over... so if your car was cranking, it wasn't a PATS issue. now if your car wasn't cranking and the PATS light was flashing, then it probably is PATS related.

some manufactures immobilizer systems key the car from starting by keeping the fuel from flowing into the motor, some manufactures immobilizers keep the starter from function, and some manufactures will allow the car to start and then after a few seconds it will shut down the engine.

Ford's PATS will keep the starter from cranking/turning the motor over... so if your car was cranking, it wasn't a PATS issue. now if your car wasn't cranking and the PATS light was flashing, then it probably is PATS related.

Thank you for the clarification on that. It's much appreciated and that can now be ruled out as a problem. I figured someone on here would know. Thank you again.

Members online

Back