Won't Start

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I was hoping that my 'vacation' from here would last a little longer, but it's just short of a month since I was last here. Can't seem to catch a break with this LS. Since I was here, on July 31st we had all the coolant system parts replaced. Zerex G-05 antifreeze used. Used all OEM Motorcraft parts. Degas tank, plastic parts, hoses, etc. On August 3rd we had all the COPs and plugs replaced. Used NGK plugs and Delphi coils. Found a local shop that has been around for 19 years, great reviews, certified mechanics, felt good about them, so had the work done there. Car was running great afterward.

My better half drove it to Los Angeles on Monday, drove around some there and today (Thursday) went to take the car on another errand (had used it earlier in the day) and turned the key and nothing. I'm in Las Vegas 250 miles away, so this is a bit difficult to try and figure out, and our mechanic is here in LV, but I thought I would put it up here in case someone may be able to help me solve this. I've searched and read some things on the forum, and I'll try and answer some questions before they're asked in hopes that it may help someone help us.

Here is what I know so far:

1. Turn the key and get nothing engine wise...silent. All the interior and headlights works, brake lights work.

2. The red light (PATS) on the middle of the dash comes on for about 4 seconds, steady light, no blinking then turns off.

3. AAA came out and said the battery had a full charge, but the starter had a low charge. I'm not sure how he came to this other than assuming he hooked something up to the battery and said what he said. How reliable this is, I don't know. He did not try and jump start it. She couldn't see a date on the battery but it is a Ford Motorcraft, but I have no idea how old it is.

4. No engine light/codes popped up.

5. 370 miles have been driven since the plugs/coils were put in.

6. She did not hit anything hard with the car, pot hole, accident, but is it possible the fuel pump switch is the problem?

7. Tried a 2nd key, same results.

That's all I know at the moment. Any help is truly appreciated. Thank you.

I did some more searches and came across this.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

• The vehicle does not start — the anti-theft indicator proves out for 3 seconds as normal, vehicle does not crank
  • Starter circuit
Does 'proves out' mean the light stays on for 3 seconds? The link to Section 303-06 does not work. So what does this mean if it is our problem, what is the starter circuit?

Last edited:
No, the fuel pump switch has nothing to do with the starter engaging.
It sounds like the AAA guy was saying that battery voltage wasn't getting to the starter. Your link doesn't work, but that is the troubleshooting that you need to do: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
You might start with the power junction at the passenger floor/fire-wall and inside the front passenger wheel well.

Thank you Joe. I'm 250 miles away from the car and trying to figure out what it may be and I'm assuming it will have to go to a shop that I'm unfamiliar with and who knows if they know where to start. I just want to try and diagnosis this if possible so I don't have to spend a fortune having some mechanic doing things that don't solve the problem. The only 'good' part of this is the car was in a driveway when it wouldn't start versus out in the middle of LA somewhere. So it buys some time on what to do next.

No, the fuel pump switch has nothing to do with the starter engaging.
It sounds like the AAA guy was saying that battery voltage wasn't getting to the starter. Your link doesn't work, but that is the troubleshooting that you need to do: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
You might start with the power junction at the passenger floor/fire-wall and inside the front passenger wheel well.

Just got a nice break. I called my service manager here in LV and told him what was going on. He said it is worth a shot to put the car in neutral and see if it will start...it did. So, sounds like it may be a neutral safety switch maybe?

Just got a nice break. I called my service manager here in LV and told him what was going on. He said it is worth a shot to put the car in neutral and see if it will start...it did. So, sounds like it may be a neutral safety switch maybe?

Yes, maybe so. I discounted that possibility because of the comment that the AAA guy made. Shouldn't have trusted it. Anyway, this is a function of the DTR (Digital Transmission Range) switch.

Thanks Joe. I'll update Monday after it's looked at here in LV. The shop is closed on weekends.

Joe is this the part that you were thinking it may be?

Motorcraft WPT-996 Transmission Range Sensor Connector

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-W...lincoln:ls&keywords=transmission+range+sensor

Or is there a Transmission Range Sensor Neutral Switch on a LS also? (I'm assuming that would be a different part than the one mentioned above?)

Yes, maybe so. I discounted that possibility because of the comment that the AAA guy made. Shouldn't have trusted it. Anyway, this is a function of the DTR (Digital Transmission Range) switch.

After her bringing the car back on Saturday, it sat until this morning when I was taking it to the tranny shop to have them look at it. I tried it in Park and it started. Long story short, they adjusted the DTR a little bit (forward?) and hopefully it solved the on/off again problem. If it acts up later, I guess it will need a new DTR. At least it will start in neutral to keep it driveable for the short term. Thanks for the help Joe.

Members online

Back