Won't Shift INTO Park

JShaw

New LVC Member
Reaction score
After replacing the coils, plugs, and valve cover gaskets, I was finally able to drive the car. Drove it to an auto parts store to get a brake light bulb, everything was fine.

Then I stopped at the post office, to drop off a couple of packages, and the car would not shift into Park. The lever would go all the way to the top, and even click into place so I could take the key out, but it was still in reverse.

I backed into a parking space so the car wouldn't roll away (parking brake wasn't working either), dropped off the packages, drove home, and had the same problem, except the parking brake was working now.

All the other gears are still in the right positions, neutral is still neutral, etc. Reverse is even still reverse, it just stays reverse all the way to the stop of the shifter travel.

I'm thinking it's a shift linkage issue, or some kind of position sensor?

I searched but only found threads about not being able to shift OUT of park. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks. Vehicle is a 2006 Lincoln LS.

Are you sure it was not actually in park, but just saying reverse? Note that an automatic left in reverse with the engine off will roll quite easily (in either direction). Leaving it in reverse or drive would not stop it from rolling. (Note that with the LS, the transmission can't be in reverse or drive with the engine off because it requires hydraulic pressure which requires the pump to be turning for the transmission to engage any gear. The parking pawl is the exception to this.)

Assuming that it really was in park, then your problem is most likely the DTR. It's on the side of the transmission.
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

The lever was physically in park (although it took effort to get it there) but the gauge cluster still showed reverse and the parking pawl was not engaging.

When it was running it would still roll backwards, I didn't give it any throttle when it was in that position so I don't know if it was actually in a gear. I can check that tomorrow.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look

Just an update, I checked to see if it was really in reverse while in the Park position (reverse displayed on dash, shifter physically in park) and it was. It would roll backward at idle speed on flat ground.

Ok, makes sense. I'll get it up in the air when I get a chance and take a look. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back