Wobly steering for a few miles

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello again, I tried doing a search cause i know i read somewhere on here that somebody else had the same problem but couldn't see anything really related. Most of the time the car sits in the garage for a week maybe 2 weeks before i get to drive it.. But as i drive down the highway for about 5 miles feels like the tires are unbalanced and shaking in the front. Then after that nothing drives smooth as could be. Does anyone have an idea what it could be.. You don't think its the tires getting a flat spot for just sitting for a few days. I thought somewhere i read that it could be a control arm or some other issue.. Well if anyone could point me in a direction to have someone check it out would be great..

sounds like flat spots but yes could also be lower control arm bushings. hopefully not the latter since you have to replace the whole control arm to replace the bushings.

could be a bent wheel. once the tire warms up then it goes away. i have one.

yea.. i have one too.. more noticable on cold days or after the car has been sitting somewhere for a while cooling off.. i only feel it sometimes but its annoying..:-s

WAIT! Don't get upset...there is nothing wrong with your car!! It's simply the tires taking a "set" when you leave it sit that long...and it's going to be much more noticable in cold weather. My Cobra with the stock F1's on it was HORRIBLE for about 3 miles. It would shake you right out of the car. The only cure for it is a different tire. When I put new tires on it, the problem just flat disappeared. Uniroyal used to have a truck tire that was so bad with that they actually recalled them.

Flat spotting or low tire pressure or both. 5 miles to warm them up will increase tire pressure and soften the tread compound enough to make them roll better.

Members online

Back