Wisp Of Smoke From Behind Steering Wheel - Turn Signal Switch?

Lamf77

LVC Member
Reaction score
A few days ago, while driving on the highway, I happened to notice a very small wisp of smoke coming from behind the steering wheel on the left side. I have not seen it before or since. I did a few other searches before landing back here. All seem to point to the turn signal switch and possible burning of grease on switch. My Continental is a 2001 with 90K miles. I bought it 2 years ago with 68K miles.
Any advice? Is this a part I can change myself? And if so, any reputable online parts dealers anyone would recommend?
Thanks!

Is the switch still working? I'd have half a mind not to worry about it too much if it's just some grease and the part is still working. I used to have an old Mitsubishi Starion that went through a brief period of occasionally smoking from the dash. I moved my fire extinguisher from the trunk to the front seat just in case, but nothing ever came of it.

If you really do need/want to change it, I'd recommend rockauto.com. Usually have a pretty good selection of more obscure parts and decent prices. For your car they have five different turn signal switches listed. Ranging from $34 - $99.

Members online

Back