Wipers Not working... Not good voltage

St3ev0o

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been having problems with my wipers, I bought my '03 LS V8 last year, and 2 months ago they started working only half the time, and last week they stoped working, now that it's starting to snow here. I've been searching for a while for an answer.
I changed my wiper motor, and checked the voltage in the wiring that feeds it, and I need more than 10 volts on the 2 wires at each end, I have one at 11v and the other one at 7,8 volts. Problem there.
I just bought the wiring diagram on Ebay, so I wont have it before a week or 2. I guess I have some short somewhere.
I have a DTC P1633 (‘Keep alive’ power supply -voltage too low). So I know i will have to check that too. My battery is good, had it charged and checked. My guess is something is draining my battery slowly.
I drove my car to a friend's garage sleeping inside while trying to figure out how am I going to find that short, or why I don't get good voltage.
Anybody had the same issue?
I had a load of problems with this car, love it so much I got everything working. But this time, I don't know where to look really. Even checked my FEM and MultiSwitch.

I've been having problems with my wipers, I bought my '03 LS V8 last year, and 2 months ago they started working only half the time, and last week they stoped working, now that it's starting to snow here. I've been searching for a while for an answer.
I changed my wiper motor, and checked the voltage in the wiring that feeds it, and I need more than 10 volts on the 2 wires at each end, I have one at 11v and the other one at 7,8 volts. Problem there.
I just bought the wiring diagram on Ebay, so I wont have it before a week or 2. I guess I have some short somewhere.
I have a DTC P1633 (‘Keep alive’ power supply -voltage too low). So I know i will have to check that too. My battery is good, had it charged and checked. My guess is something is draining my battery slowly.
I drove my car to a friend's garage sleeping inside while trying to figure out how am I going to find that short, or why I don't get good voltage.
Anybody had the same issue?
I had a load of problems with this car, love it so much I got everything working. But this time, I don't know where to look really. Even checked my FEM and MultiSwitch.

FWIW, I did a 'wall-job' on my '02. The wipers were only intermittently functional for several days, so I just parked it (next to the wall) for a while. The next time I turned them on---a month later---they worked just fine and have done so for more than a year. Therefore, just park the car by a wall for a few weeks and everything should be fine. This is a well-known technique used by dealers to take care of electrical problems.

KS

Therefore, just park the car by a wall for a few weeks and everything should be fine. This is a well-known technique used by dealers to take care of electrical problems.
I wish I had a few weeks, need my car asap since I sold my other car... right before my wipers started not to work. I will find a way to fix it perminently.

So, if you don't have the wiring diagrams yet, how do you know what voltages to expect on each wire? The 1633 code isn't related to the wipers.

It's not a short. That would blow a fuse. (Why do so many say "short" when they really mean "open?")

Red/Blue should be battery voltage at all times. Yellow/red should be battery voltage with the key on. White/red is a signal (not power). White/Green is a signal from the rain sensor. The two Black/Blue are grounds. Four of the wires are from the wiper switch and will have various resistances to ground depending on switch position. The other two are for the washer (power to the pump, and wash switch input).

And the p1633 code I know its not related to the wipers.
I guess I say short because electricity always use the shortest trajectory? But you 're right the real term would be open.
If I have an open circuit in my wiper wiring, would the code be caused by my wiper problems?

No, the gen II wiper does not interact with the OBDII system. Time to trace that wire back to the fuse box.

Good to know. I will keep looking for why I'm not getting the voltage I need. Wish I could find where does that RD/BU wire goes to. I hope I wont have to buy a full harness.

Good to know. I will keep looking for why I'm not getting the voltage I need. Wish I could find where does that RD/BU wire goes to. I hope I wont have to buy a full harness.

That's easy. It goes to fuse 20 (30A) in the underhood fuse box. It goes through only the two connectors, one on the wiper motor assembly itself, and the other is just a few inches away.
The wiring bundle up at the front right, near the fuse box has had corrosion issues on some LSes. The problem may be there. It might also be the socket for fuse 20 in the fuse box.

Awesome ! That's what I needed to know, thank you !! I had a feeling it would be around the fusebox under the hood. I even pulled it appart from the hood and looked at it quickly. I will be testing the wiring from there. Thanks again !

My wiring diagram manual came in on Friday. Finaly made my wipers work. It was the YL/RD wire that was open. It had 1.44 volts even it wasn't pluged anywhere. That wire goes to the fusebox (fuse 26) by a 6pin plug with only 2 wires. Cut the old wire and passed a new wire between the wiper motor and this fusebox. Everything works, got 11v and even the rain sensor is working. Got my winter tires on, now ready for the cold season

Members online

No members online now.
Back